Start by marking “In the Name of Friendship” as Want to Read:
In the Name of Friendship

In the Name of Friendship

3.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  117 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Marilyn French’s seven million copy bestseller The Women’s Room crystallized the issues that ignited the women’s movement. Now the acclaimed author updates that classic with a new exploration of the truths and realities behind women’s lives. In the Name of Friendship dares to investigate how the women’s movement changed the lives of those it touched and what hurdles it lef ...more
Published May 1st 2006 by The Feminist Press at CUNY (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about In the Name of Friendship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Name of Friendship

M
Aug 07, 2009 M rated it it was ok
Feminist novels promise to be thinly veiled agenda driven platforms for spewing all sorts of angry philosophy, and this certainly delivers. French penned this in her seventies, three years before her death, and this affected a lot of the writing - most of the women are around that age, and the story is primarily a rambling stream of consciousness about how things have changed in the world over the last seven decades.
Four women who at times seemed interchangeable to me form a friendship that is n
Terry
May 09, 2011 Terry rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I am a HUGE Marilyn French fan, but I was a bit underwhelmed with the particular book, and it pains me to say that. For fans of The Women's Room French is basically working on the same ideas (how women balance expectations of them--their families', their colleagues', their children's, their own--with their own needs and desires and interests) with the same very general plot device (following a group of women over the course of a year). In this particular book a few of the women are a generation ...more
Meaghan
Feb 04, 2008 Meaghan rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Rich white ladies who like to think about their role in society.
I liked the story but did not like the lecture on feminism. Lady, you are writing for the classic feminist writers series. You do not have to convine your readers that feminism is important and relevent. More importantly, the story is more convincing than the lectures. Show, don't tell!!!
Tess Mertens-Johnson
Mar 05, 2013 Tess Mertens-Johnson rated it really liked it
I devoured Marilyn French's "The Women's Room" in the 70s. I went tot my local library looking for it to re-read, and found "In The Name of Friendship" which has been called the Women's Room II.
This book is set in the early 200s and follows a group of women who live near each other in Stevenson, MA. It is a melting pot of personalities and issues. Maddy, the Matriarch of the group who blames her family's issues on her parenting and is grieving the loss of her Vietnam damaged son. Emily, who is M
Jul 18, 2007 Jennifer rated it liked it
Decided to read this because of her history, it even says on the left hand corner of the book, "Classic Feminist Writers." I found it hard to read at times, sometimes the dialogue was a little stiff so that was distracting. It's a story about four friends who live in the Berkshires; two women are in their seventies, one in her fifties and one in her thirties. I felt like the men were portrayed badly and the focus for the women was either on how society limited their choices, due to the times the ...more
Joan
Aug 04, 2008 Joan rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I expected to like this way better than I did. I selected it because of the relationship of older and younger women. It could have been good if it has not been so wordy and political. I like the premise of four good friends of vastly different ages. And for the most part I liked the women, Maddy and Emily both in their 70's, Alicia in her 50' and Jenny in her 30's. They are all women of privilege and each with a special talent. And each of the men, Maddy's weak-willed husband, Charley, Alicia's ...more
Brigitte
Jun 15, 2015 Brigitte rated it it was ok
Ik begrijp de feministische boodschap van Marilyn French volkomen, sta daar ook helemaal achter, maar vond dit boek wel erg moraliserend op dat gebied. Daarnaast vond ik de vrouwen in dit boek veel te braaf en verschrikkelijk saai !
Linda Tuplin
Jul 24, 2013 Linda Tuplin rated it did not like it
After plugging through the first half of the book, finally gave up. I was excited to start it, having loved her other novels. But I found I could not keep the characters straight and that it was overall just boring and somewhat pretentious. Disappointing.
Maryruth Endicott
Apr 14, 2015 Maryruth Endicott rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
Some of the writing was a little annoying because it was so obviously trying to make a point. But I really enjoyed the characters and their stories. Plus I think the issues raised in this book are important for us to remember and think about.
Sally Atwell Williams
Jan 01, 2014 Sally Atwell Williams rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, women, friendship
Loved the different ages of the women and the discussions between two or all four throughout the novel Well written. I had read the Women's Room in the 70's. Haven't read any others of Ms. French's books until this one. It was well worth it.
Michelle
Dec 19, 2014 Michelle rated it it was ok
Tedious, didactic, contrived and in need of heavy editing. Disappointing after enjoying French's earlier novels. Maybe written for someone who has not noticed there has been a change in women's lives in the last century.
Anne-marie
Sep 20, 2009 Anne-marie rated it it was amazing
currently reading this-and loving it. it's like having a converstation - or listening to one - with women friends - smart friends. i'm nodding my head a lot! such great insight about women-men-feminism.
Pembsgirl
Aug 20, 2010 Pembsgirl rated it liked it
Liked this but found it a tad repetitious and I honestly can't remember ever having conversations like the ones described between the friends in this book.
Ellen
Nov 05, 2012 Ellen rated it it was ok
This book wants to just preach about the past - women's issues - but tries to bury it in a narrative. It's okay, just kind of boring.
Tina
Mar 27, 2012 Tina rated it liked it
Not as profound as her earlier books, but her descriptions of this small community of women is touching and comforting.
Cathy
Jul 10, 2007 Cathy rated it it was ok
Shelves: notsogood
I had a really hard time getting into this one. I kept hoping it would get better and hook me...but alas...not my style maybe.
Bernice Schwartzman villa
While the characters are interesting there is far too much of her now familiar and repetitious feminist rhetoric.
Carol
Dec 27, 2010 Carol rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Gave up on it - it just wasn't interesting. What a shame - her earlier books had a profound influence on me.
Tbob3att.Net
May 13, 2016 Tbob3att.Net rated it liked it
Good book but don't agree with everything but good characters of women
book club book, Anna
Beth Shields-Szostak
Jun 22, 2010 Beth Shields-Szostak marked it as to-read
Shelves: signed
1st edition, signed & inscribed by author
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Marjan
Marjan added it
Jun 05, 2016
Teri
Teri marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Janna
Janna marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Anneke Hubert
Anneke Hubert marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Bill Bailey's Daughter
  • Nest of Vipers
  • Jan Rap en z'n maat
  • Slow Awakening
  • Jig
She attended Hofstra University (then Hofstra College) where she also received a master's degree in English in 1964. She married Robert M. French Jr. in 1950; the couple divorced in 1967. She later attended Harvard University, earning a Ph.D in 1972. Years later she became an instructor at Hofstra University.

In her work, French asserted that women's oppression is an intrinsic part of the male-domi
More about Marilyn French...