Start by marking “Dangerous Men: Pre-Code Hollywood and the Birth of the Modern Man” as Want to Read:
Dangerous Men: Pre-Code Hollywood and the Birth of the Modern Man

Dangerous Men: Pre-Code Hollywood and the Birth of the Modern Man

Using the same mix of accessibility and insider knowledge he used so successfully in Complicated Women, author and film critic Mick LaSalle now turns his attention to the men of the pre-Code Hollywood era.

The five years between 1929 and mid-1934 was a period of loosened censorship that finally ended with the imposition of a harsh Production Code that would, for the next th
Published November 11th 2002 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published November 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Dangerous Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dangerous Men

Catherine
Jul 14, 2010 Catherine rated it really liked it
This was a fascinating read despite it not being as good as Complicated Women. Let's face it; the women of the Pre-Code era were a hell of a lot more interesting overall simply because what was being done for women was progressive and refreshing in that time. They suffered much more of asetback once the Code was enforced because patriarchal ideas were being established again instead of opposed. The men are still fascinating though and the book does a great job of going into all the different way ...more
Ashley
Sep 03, 2010 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010
This book is beautifully written with loads of information, insightful commentary, and wonderful touches of humor. I enjoyed this one even more than its companion book, Complicated Women: Sex and Power in Pre-Code Hollywood. As I stated in my review for that book, I don't agree entirely with all of LaSalle's conclusions regarding the detrimental effect of the Production Code. However, I enjoyed this book immensely. It offers a window into another time and really captures the spirit of Pre-Code H ...more
Jill Hutchinson
Mar 31, 2011 Jill Hutchinson rated it really liked it
I am a great fan of early film, especially the pre-Code era and this book added to my knowledge of the careers of those actors who were at the top of the heap during those days. The author offers a plethora of insider information regarding players. many of whom are practically forgotten today and provides the reason why some, such as Clark Gable, went on to a long and historic career, and why others, like Ramon Navarro, lost their popularity with the movie audience. The tone of pre-Code film sui ...more
Jeri
Jan 10, 2015 Jeri rated it it was amazing
Even better than Complicated Women, I have to say. Maybe because the material isn't so well known? Pre-Code films (and its history) are usually about the women, so it was interesting to read about its impact on men and their roles. Plus, LaSalle was a lot funnier in this than in his previous book. I laughed out loud more than once at some of his snarky comments--he really doesn't like Al Jolson, for example: "[A] boy get hit by a truck, causing Jolson to serenade him in the hospital with "Little ...more
Mei
Sep 16, 2010 Mei rated it really liked it
Interesting insight into pre-code leading men. It was overall a quick read. The book is only about 200 pages long. I picked this up to read up on Fredric March, one of my new found favorite leading men.

Being a classic movie buff, it was fascinating to learn about the typecasting of the pre-code Clark Gable. The book also offers a different viewpoint of John Gilbert's film demise. (It wasn't his voice)

Vanessa
Mar 06, 2013 Vanessa rated it really liked it
What's driven me to read this repeatedly has been the merging of meticulous research, observation, and the author's genuine love of this period in film history. Pre-code Hollywood is a fascinating subject, and LaSalle's work, with it's engaging, vivid tone, sets a very amusing mood for it, which makes reading it a breeze.
Patrick Elsey
Aug 18, 2015 Patrick Elsey rated it it was amazing
Way better then Dangerous Women despite being a lesser topic if only because the book is better order and reads better. It's not this person career and then someone else career. It's all tied together in this book and works a lot better.

If you're interested in old movies this is a great book.
Judy
Jan 05, 2008 Judy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of pre-code movies
A fascinating account of pre-code Hollywood, looking at the male stars and how different they were from those who followed them, getting so much more scope to show their emotions and go against stereotypes.
Greta
Sep 24, 2008 Greta rated it it was amazing
Couldn’t put it down! Fascinating account of many actors, good observations, very astute, lots of descriptions of films. Includes Barthelmess, Barrymore, Warren William, John Gilbert, Ramon Novarro, as well as the usual suspects.
DeAnna
Aug 05, 2007 DeAnna marked it as couldn-t-finish
Shelves: movies
I think this book would have been more interesting if I had seen a lot more of the movies the author was discussing. As it was, I added a few movies to my Netflix queue, but didn't feel like finishing the book.
Jenny
Apr 30, 2008 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of old movies and handsome actors.
Shelves: non-fiction-film
As good as LaSalle's "Complicated Women." A fun, entertaining, informative read. Great stills too. I hope TCM makes a documentary of it as they did of the earlier book.
Kimberly
Oct 27, 2008 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Another great book by LaSalle on 1920s/1930s Hollywood. I couldn't get into this one as much as with "Complicated Women," but it was still a great work.
Anna
Apr 11, 2008 Anna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-about-film
James Cagney, Clark Gable, and Warren William...need I say more?
Brian DiNitto
Dec 04, 2014 Brian DiNitto rated it it was amazing
I loved hearing how these films connected with the culture of the time.
A
May 17, 2009 A rated it really liked it
Once again LaSalle blows me away with his transcendent writings. Brings me right to such a fabulous era. As always if you are interested in such an era and the musings around it.It's a must to read.
Rachel
Nov 30, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: film history buffs
Much better than Complicated Woman. Book is more organized and focused and provided more than just the common knowledge information that Complicated Women had.
Doris Raines
Apr 18, 2016 Doris Raines rated it really liked it
A. Very. Distinguish. Guy. With. Talent. And. The. True. Gift. Of. Hollywood. Looks.
Nancy Loe
Aug 04, 2007 Nancy Loe rated it it was amazing
That rare follow-up book that's every bit as good as the original ( Complicated Women).
Kristine
Kristine rated it it was ok
Jan 16, 2009
Sheila
Sheila rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2013
Ziwzih
Ziwzih rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2013
Lesley
Lesley rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2011
Dykhousel
Dykhousel rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2016
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2012
Andrea Marshall
Andrea Marshall rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2016
Heather Dubois
Heather Dubois rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2017
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2012
Cliff Aliperti
Cliff Aliperti rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2010
Robert Gomez
Robert Gomez rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Pre-Code Hollywood: Sex, Immorality, and Insurrection in American Cinema; 1930-1934
  • Sin in Soft Focus: Pre-Code Hollywood
  • Without Lying Down: Screenwriter Frances Marion and the Powerful Women of Early Hollywood
  • A Woman's View: How Hollywood Spoke to Women, 1930-1960
  • Behind the Screen: How Gays and Lesbians Shaped Hollywood, 1910-1969
  • The Parade's Gone By...
  • American Silent Film
  • Bright Boulevards, Bold Dreams: The Story of Black Hollywood
  • Myrna Loy: Being and Becoming
  • Silent Movies: The Birth of Film and the Triumph of Movie Culture
  • A Cast of Killers
  • Swanson on Swanson
  • Jean Arthur: The Actress Nobody Knew
  • Lion of Hollywood: The Life and Legend of Louis B. Mayer
  • Dangerous Curves Atop Hollywood Heels: The Lives, Careers, and Misfortunes of 14 Hard-Luck Girls of the Silent Screen
  • Century Girl: 100 Years in the Life of Doris Eaton Travis, Last Living Star of the Ziegfeld Follies
  • Bombshell: The Life and Death of Jean Harlow
  • Hot Toddy: The True Story of Hollywood's Most Sensational Murder
Mick LaSalle is an American film critic and the author of two books on pre-code Hollywood. As of March 2008[update], he has written in excess of 1550 reviews for the San Francisco Chronicle,[1] and he has been podcasting them since September 2005.[2]

LaSalle is the author of Complicated Women: Sex and Power in Pre-Code Hollywood, a history/critical study of the actresses who worked in the film indu
More about Mick LaSalle...