Start by marking “M.C. Escher The Graphic Work ” as Want to Read:
M.C.  Escher The Graphic Work

M.C. Escher The Graphic Work

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  35,971 ratings  ·  82 reviews
Graphic Work presents over 80 of Escher's most interesting pictures selected by the artist himself. It includes Escher's commentaries on his work, which makes his startling visual effects more easy to interpret. This book also features Escher's own account of his evolution as an artist. An authentic source book of high significance, it offers the best introduction to the f ...more
Published February 1st 1996 by Dorset Press (first published 1956)

Petra X
Escher is enlightening, mind-bending and if the essence (not the stories) of the sci-fi genre of other worlds could be painted instead of written, it would look like this.
Steven Peterson
Boy, I really enjoy this volume! For people unfamiliar with the name Escher, many have, nonetheless, seen some of his more mind bending works. Many of his artistic creations have an impossibility about them--even as they look reasonable in terms of specific parts of each. Other of his woodcuts or wood engravings are enchanting in their own right.

The first part of the book is more biographical, although this segment is also richly sprinkled with examples of his work.

But it is the catalog, startn
Milica Chotra
"(T)here came a moment when it seemed as though scales fell from my eyes. I discovered that technical mastery was no longer my sole aim, for I became gripped by another desire, the existence of which I had never suspected. Ideas came into my mind quite unrelated to graphic art, notions which so fascinated me that I longed to communicate them to other people. This could not be achieved through words, for these thoughts were not literary ones, but mental images of a kind that can only be made comp ...more
Like most high school and college students, I went through an Escher phase. Without the aid of psychotropic substances or any sort of interest in vaguely mathematical patterns, mind you, so it didn't last long, but still, it happened, and this was the book I bought as it was going on. And, you know, it's a reprinting of various Escher pieces. At the time, I'd have probably rated it 5 stars, but now, it gets an "I'm no longer quite so impressed, but still appreciate the artistry involved" 3 star ...more
This book contains art along with comments from the artist explaining what he was trying to accomplish and where he felt he did well and not so well. His words add a lot to the appreciation of the well known images. It's a fun book that would be great to get again to study and try recreating.
Giuliana keimich
Amazing combination of draw, math, shadow and creativity.
I love that small children are drawn to this!
Paola Ghisalberti
love travelling thru his art! magical!
João Pedro
Portuguese / English

Genial. Esta palavra é usada muitas vezes sem razão de ser, mas neste caso aplica-se perfeitamente.
Escher foi um artista que misturava arte com matemática e os resultados são espantosos.
Se fosse só pelas gravuras, já teria ficado satisfeito. No entanto, a descrição que o artista faz de cada litografia, xilografia e outras é como se nos revelasse um código secreto. Ao invés de diminuir o efeito mágico dos desenhos, torna-os ainda mais espantosos (se tal é possível).
A filoso
Great book to add to our collection, has a comprehensive portfolio of all of Escher's works. However, even though the book is in color, some of the paintings that are originally not black-and-white are shown as such. I had the pleasure of seeing some of his work on display, but was disappointed to find that my favourite painting was not shown in its vibrant colors in the book. I don't know why, since many of his other works of color are shown in their original form. Overall, not a bad purchase.
James F
This is a selection of 76 works of Escher, with an introduction and a paragraph explaining each work, by Escher himself. It is smaller than the book by Forty but still oversized (30 cm.); about 40 of the works are the same in the two books. Escher's explanations occasionally pointed out things I had missed in the works.
Escher says in this book that he sometimes feels closer to mathematicians than to his artist fellows. Escher's work is pure creation: unstable perspectives, plane figures coming out to the three dimensional world, paradoxes... It's not at everyone's reach to play with your mind while making you enjoy.
Nikolas Kalar
It's hard to talk about Escher's work intelligently because it has so thoroughly entered modern culture, without succumbing to the occasionally offensive repurposing of the works of Warhol, Kahlo, etc. It quite wonderfully fits into the 'What is there to be said that hasn't already' category. I got this after seeing an Escher retrospective at the Portland Art Museum, and this is a solid volume that is a great introduction to his work. It wonderfully captures Escher's mix of the artistic and the ...more
I'll start off by saying that I'm a sucker for Escher's art. He was a brilliant artist.

This is a very short book (a few hours worth of content, if you like to take your time and carefully examine each piece), showcasing some of Escher's famous works. Explanations in Escher's own words to each of his works is a nice and welcome touch, as well as the division of art by subject (Mirror Images, Inversion, Relativities etc). However, I did find the explanations segment placement a poor choice - it co
Ruby Black
No one depicts the impossible, improbable, and infinitesimal the way M.C. Escher does. He is work is essential to explore our minds and the universe. It is rare to find an artist try to capture the essence of philosophical, scientific, and fantastical thoughts in every piece.

Each line, each element, each color, has a purpose to the whole. His works blows my mind no matter how many times I spend staring at them; superbly the most brilliant artists.

Definitely start off with this book, whether yo
Reading Escher's commentary on his own work is enlightening and entertaining. His dry wit is a delight. Not a delight is the lack of initiative on the part of any publisher since the original 1967 printing (looking at you, Taschen and B&N) to move his comments to the same pages as the works instead of keeping them in a section at the front for the reader to flip back to from the plates at the end. It's also somewhat on the shorter side, so I'd recommend any Escher fan to read it as a supplem ...more
76 pieces of art with brief descriptions written by the artist.
Abhishek Menon
A revolution against the limits of human cognition.
Tobias Kuners of Koenders
great work, very helpful to view 3 dimensional pictures
Tesfahun Molla
Reading civil engineering books
Giacomo Boccardo
Un'interessante esposizione delle opere di Escher commentate dallo stesso autore.

Nota negativa: quel gran genio dell'impaginatore ha posto le descrizioni di tutte le immagini all'inizio (e questo può andar bene), ma le pagine contenenti le immagini stesse non sono in alcun modo numerate, quindi è impossibile raggiungere da una descrizione la relativa immagine o viceversa se non andando a naso. Lo stesso vale per l'indice posto all'inizio del libro. Sono forse io poco avvezzo a libri di tale tipo
i want to read this book
ghgjnh jhjh tghgj hgfhgf
... !
Anna Aizic
One of the books I keep on my desk for over twenty years, to inspire, and connect with an individual perception, reminding me the world is just that: an individual perception that leading to realization for tolerance and patience and compassion for other's who may perceive the same in a different way, however that will not change for what is there. With all that said, this book may lead to revolutionary social changes worldwide; making our world better for all.
Tanya Diehl
I loved this book. Art in general doesn't really interest me unless it is obvious. I can appreciate a beautifully painted picture of a meadow, but I don't get abstract or art like that. This book is a mixture of the obvious, abstract, the absurd, and illusions. Teens would be interested in the drama of the artwork. There is so much to look at in every drawing. I think it might even inspire a teen to research more from this artist and other artists like him.
This is one of my all time favorite books and I have read it a number of times. I still cannot get over the level of details and mathematical precision used when they are in fact lithographs and where done some of them in the 30s. I was first introduced to his work as posters from the student haven called Athena (yes you know the one) and rapidly became fascinated with his impossible works. Always a joy to read and i think this is the best book on his work.
Neelakantan K.K.
A very nice book, the introduction by the artist is very informative. There's also a nice explanation for each work included in the book.

The main reason for possessing this book is of course the prints of Escher's works. They're printed on very good paper and the printing has come out really well. Escher's works are insanely brilliant. My favourites are the impossible buildings, "Reptiles", "Drawing Hands" and "Hand with globe."

Nikola Tasev
These are no ordinary paintings by an ordinary artist. They bend the rules or reality, and you have to regard them as puzzles to be solved. Twist your mind around them to see what they are and how they do it for full effect.
There are several different types, combinations of abstract mathematical, mosaic patterns and pure fantasy, all united by the dreamy unreal logic.
A real joy to the open mind.
John P
Simply stunning. The text is insightful describing Escher's loss to explain why he, alone apparently, was fascinated by the 'tiling of the plane'; is poignant in his son's description of Escher's last days. Those new to Escher will be stunned to find out that his works were primarily done as woodcuts. The wood blocks, then inked, are used to stamp the images with which we are all familiar.
graphic designing 2 8 Dec 15, 2014 02:28AM
  • The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt
  • Andy Warhol, 1928-1987: Commerce Into Art
  • History of Art
  • Hopper
  • Edvard Munch: 1863-1944 (Basic Art)
  • Masters of Deception: Escher, Dali, and the Artists of Optical Illusion
  • The King's Agent
  • Mondrian (Basic Art)
  • Matisse
  • Georgia O'Keeffe, 1887-1986: Flowers in the Desert
Maurits Cornelis Escher, usually referred to as M.C. Escher, was a Dutch graphic artist. He is known for his often mathematically inspired woodcuts, lithographs and mezzotints. These feature impossible constructions, explorations of infinity, architecture and tessellations.

Maurits Cornelis, or "Mauk" as he came to be nicknamed, was was the youngest son of civil engineer George Arnold Escher and hi
More about M.C. Escher...
The Magic Mirror of M.C. Escher M.C. Escher: 29 Masterworks Escher On Escher The Magic of M.C. Escher The Pop-Up Book of M.C. Escher