Start by marking “Captain America - The Death Of Captain America, Vol. 3: The Man Who Bought America” as Want to Read:

Captain America - The Death Of Captain America, Vol. 3: The Man Who Bought America (Captain America vol. 5 #8)

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  1,914 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
The saga of the 'new' Captain America continues! He's doing his best to carry on the legacy of Steve Rogers, but things go from bad to worse for Bucky Barnes when the Red Skull makes an unexpected move for the very soul of America.
Published March 11th 2009 by Marvel (first published November 26th 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about Captain America - The Death Of Captain America, Vol. 3

Dan Schwent
Oct 29, 2012 Dan Schwent rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, 2012
Sharon Carter is pregnant with the deceased Captain America's child. A presidential candidate is in the pocket of the Red Skull and his allies. Bucky Barnes is struggling to adapt to his role as the new Captain America when someone appearing to be Steve Rogers appears...

Brubaker's epic run on Captain America continues as Bucky Barnes steps up and proves he deserves the Captain America mantle. Sharon Carter finally shakes off the mind control and the Red Skull gets what's coming to him in a fashi
StoryTellerShannon
In Act Three the nefarious plans of the Red Skull are revealed which include several strategies chief among them bringing backc some twisted version of Captain America and creating an economic crisis. The usual crew shows up to fight against and for the Red Skull.

I found Act Three to be the best of all three though I would say the first which detailed the death of Steve Rogers (the original Cap) was arguably the most moving.

“Captain America#25 which depicted Steve Roger's death was the highest s
Aaron
In volume one, (view spoiler) ...more
Greg
Dec 19, 2008 Greg rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, marvel
As the story went on I got into it a lot more. I still can't say that I'm a fan of Captain America, but the twists that the third part of the Death of Captain America took were more interesting than the set up in the previous two books.
Simona
Rating: 3/5

Nu sunt o mare fană a Căpitanului America, pentru simplul fapt că acesta nu m-a atras în mod special până acum. Primul film din seria CA (The First Avenger) a fost singurul care m-a prins, povestea în sine fiind una interesantă, iar actorii jucându-și bine rolurile.

Revenind la oile noastre, nu știu bine ce să vă zic despre acest album pe care l-am citit. Nu a fost chiar pe placul meu, tematica războinică/politică neatrăgându-mă de fel, iar ceea ce s-a întâmplat în cele șase benzi dese
Mike (the Paladin)
You've probably read some of my reviews where I tell of my history with comic books/graphic novels. I'm a long time Marvel fan and a long time Captain America fan.

So I find these books sad...not just sad because of the subject matter, but sad because of the low quality of the story. I am disappointed with what has been done here with Cap...

Even Cap's death was set up as an anticlimax. In the Death of Superman there's a Donnybrook of a fight that leads to the climax and Superman's death. Cap, who
Amy
Jan 01, 2016 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
4.5** i loved the bucky/nat so much more than i was expecting - might write a proper review soon
M
Aug 21, 2012 M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ed Brubaker continues to set up his Captain America run as a legacy title. With Bucky now adopting the Cap costume and shield, the Red Skull seeks to put his plan to discredit the new Captain America into motion. As Bucky teams with Falcon and Black Widow to confront a corrupt political platform, Sharon Carter must try and escape from the Skull's clutches in time to prevent a government conspiracy from overtaking America. Weaving through complex layers of plotting, paying homage to - and improvi ...more
Dorin
Jun 10, 2016 Dorin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Povestea e bună, problema mea majoră este cu traducerea, care e una din cele mai proaste traduceri posibile - și cam ăsta ar fi aportul important al editorilor români. Povestea în cele din urmă o salvează, dar, să fim serioși, voi evita toate volumele traduse de Mircea Pricăjan de-acum încolo.
Mark
Apr 14, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, avengers
The Red Skull plots to have his man elected into office with the help of Faustus.

Bucky, the new Captain America, struggles to uncover the deception.
He is thwarted by a third Captain that is not Steve.

A complicated but enjoyable read.
Good for those looking for the transitional period between Captain America's.

Notes

After Civil War
Sara
May 20, 2016 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I loved this story, it was action packed and intriguing and i was quite happy with how it all wrapped up in this final volume.

More than anything I loved the characters. This series I feel was very character driven and it was done so well. All the characters had their moments to shine and we got to see from each of their points of view and I loved that.

The buckynat at the end got me though I loved it so much *heart eyes*
Sesana
Apr 16, 2014 Sesana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superhumans, comics
A really good close to the storyline. Obviously there had to be some threads left dangling, but nothing irritating. Definitely interested to see where this leads.
Steve
Jun 04, 2010 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I liked the conclusion to this arc with what happened to the 50s Cap, the Red Skull, and Sharon's pregnancy. as always I enjoyed the characterization of Bucky/Cap (in regards to his difficulty living up to Steve's reputation) and his interactions with Hawkeye and Falcon too.
B. Rule
This was a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy that tells the origin story of Bucky as the new Cap. There's some good action, high melodrama, and decent characterization along the way, largely focused on Bucky, Sharon Carter, and to a lesser extent, Falcon and Black Widow. Not the greatest story ever told or anything, but decent. Nazis get roughed up but in true comics fashion will live on to fight another day. The one downgrade from the previous volume is the quality of the art. Most of the he ...more
Scarlett
Protect Bucky at all costs, please.
Arno Callens
Sep 09, 2015 Arno Callens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marvel-comics
Oddly enough for such a big fan of the series, I have never given five stars to a Captain America-comic. Then I look over every volume since Ed Brubaker and frequent penciller Steven Epting took over the series, and I see nothing but four star ratings. Which made me realize how infinitely more difficult it has to be to write a consistent and dependent book over a long time, compared to writing one amazing mini-series.

So I'm not going to worry about grades too much. The Death Of Captain America-a
Amber Ditullio
Sep 19, 2011 Amber Ditullio rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Superhero Comics, Those who have read the Marvel Civil War series
Shelves: graphic-novel
This is the conclusion of the Death of Captain America series, and I've got to admit, it went places I wasn't expecting.

S.H.I.E.L.D. finally knows what's really going on, and they do their best to stop it. They succeed, though partly due to Faustus helping Sharon Carter escape from Red Skull's programing and partly because Red Skull's daughter is too eager to prove herself to Daddy. There is a climactic fight at the end in Red Skull's headquarters, though Skull is one of the few that seems to es
Emma
Feb 14, 2012 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marvel, comics
Adam
Nov 19, 2009 Adam rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Captain America (a.k.a. Steve Rogers) may be dead, but his friends and foes from all the periods of his career still find themselves in the same orbit. Bucky Barnes, his old partner from World War II, thought deceased but actually kept in suspended animation by the Soviets except when they needed him for black ops and assassinations, which he performed under hypnosis, is all better now and has taken on the role of Captain America with a new uniform that's sort of like the old uniform, but shinie ...more
Nick
May 21, 2015 Nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good wrap up for the Death of Captain America run.

As always, love Bucky, Falcon, and Natasha.

Still not sure how I feel about Sharon Carter's pregnancy thing. I wanted to see her kick more butt honestly. Still, she came through as a badass in the end.

Hawkeye's appearance was sort of random and I don't completely understand what happened there but oh well. Maybe that'll get explained more later.

Still really enjoy this series and looking forward to more.
Praxedes
Jan 19, 2014 Praxedes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A knockout conclusion to this wonderful trilogy, 'The Man Who Bought America' is filled with surprise twists. Superhero fans know that rarely does a deceased character remain dead, so I expect a Steve Rogers re-birth trilogy in the future. This story contains equally shocking sub-plots: Rogers' death is barely discussed, Black Widow spends most of the time behind the scenes (but not really), and the extremely long timeline Red Skull engages in to wreak havoc are all worthy of their own trilogies ...more
Michael Allan Leonard
Aug 26, 2016 Michael Allan Leonard rated it it was amazing
Writer Ed Brubaker must have been reading his tea leaves with this leg of his legendary Cap run, involving a political outsider running for the Oval Office, full of fiery rhetoric promising to make America great again, but who is really a puppet dancing on the Red Skull's strings. Torn from today's headlines ... published eight years ago.
Ed
Apr 30, 2016 Ed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic ending to Brubaker's Death of Captain America arc. Brubaker & Epting's run on Captain America really is as good as super hero comics get. The action is fantastic, the story is gripping and tense, and the swerves are both genuinely shocking yet make total sense. My only complaint is that the fill-in art on one issue is kinda mediocre.
VampAmber
Dead gods, my feels, I think they broke my feels. I think they broke me. So damn good. Now that, that is how an amazing comic book story arc should go. Action packed, full of so much drama it overflows, and an ending that isn't really an ending, that was kind of happy, but not exactly, but still kind of. I'm completely broken, and all I can do is beg for more. Bravo.
Joey Heflich
Sep 11, 2014 Joey Heflich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Red Skull, Doctor Faustus and Zola make a good Three Stooges. Yes, these reviews are going to make less and less sense until I slow down my reading. But hey, it's a good series that's almost great. And Brubaker does a good job making Bucky all messed up inside without making him into some sort of brooding caricature.
Colm
Jul 12, 2016 Colm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
A really solid conclusion to a dramatic series of events that handles all the moving parts really well. The musings on American politics, the disenfranchised feelings of the masses, and the greed of the higher ups all read really convincingly and make the comic seem more recent than it really is. Really good stuff.
Silas
Apr 10, 2014 Silas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fine conclusion to an excellent story, where Bucky finally finds his legs as Captain America (while facing up to another Captain America from the past), and we resolve Agent 13's captivity. There are definitely ups and downs, but the storytelling is top-notch. I recommend it highly, along with the other two volumes.
Stef
Oct 05, 2014 Stef rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The thing nobody talks about with comic books is that they out soap opera the very best soap. The amnesia and the mind control and the secret pregnancies - but with gun battles and superheroes! Needless to say, I loved it! The Winter Soldier is one part emo, two parts total badass. Fantastic!
Jessie
So I read this because we own it and never realized it was the third volume. Suffice it to say, I hardly think it mattered. Similar to an Iron Man single issue I read a few months ago, I felt like I was jumping in when the action was finally starting. The storyline had so many of the things I hate about comic universes--too many people supposedly dead and back, too much soap opera love, and too many plots to dominate the world that just don't hold up. The art was sometimes redeeming as was the e ...more
Brad
Nov 16, 2009 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, marvel
A good resolution to the "death" storyline that began with that fatal gunshot. Bucky Cap (as Spider-Man calls him in New Avengers) teams up with the Falcon to track down Sharon Carter. She's still captive of Dr. Faustus, Red Skull, and Arnim Zola. All that, and the Kronas Corporation's third-party presidential candidate, gets wrapped up nicely by the end of this book. There's a great reveal and shift in the Red Skull/Aleksander Lukin shared body syndrome. All in all, Ed Brubaker and co. keep put ...more
  • Thor, Vol. 2
  • Daredevil, Vol. 2: Parts of a Hole
  • Guardians Of The Galaxy, Vol. 2: War Of Kings, Book 1
  • Marvel's The Avengers Prelude: Fury's Big Week
  • Spider-Man: 24/7
Ed Brubaker (born November 17, 1966) is an Eisner Award-winning American cartoonist and writer. He was born at the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland.

Brubaker is best known for his work as a comic book writer on such titles as Batman, Daredevil, Captain America, Iron Fist, Catwoman, Gotham Central, Sleeper, Uncanny X-Men and X-Men: Deadly Genesis, and The Authority, and for helping
More about Ed Brubaker...

Captain America vol. 5 (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Captain America: Winter Soldier, Vol. 1
  • Captain America: Winter Soldier, Vol. 2
  • Captain America: Red Menace, Vol. 1
  • Captain America: Red Menace, Vol. 2
  • Civil War (Captain America vol. 5, #5)
  • Captain America: The Death of Captain America, Vol. 1: The Death of the Dream