Start by marking “The Almighty” as Want to Read:
The Almighty

The Almighty

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  738 ratings  ·  34 reviews
When the hunger for power becomes a craving--a ruling obsession--it is not enough for a man like Edward Armstead to head a vast news empire. First he will want to shape the news - then manipulate and control it - and finally he will want to create it.
Published 1983 by Doubleday (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Almighty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Almighty

Eden
Aug 11, 2014 Eden rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mature readers interested in Thrillers and Psychology
5 stars

After his father’s death, Edward Armstead inherits his vast news empire under the condition that he must surpass the Times’ sales, something his father hadn’t been able to do in years.

This book brings a raw and realistic view of the human condition as we watch Edward Armstead evolve from an inoffensive man scarred by his relationship with his father to a madman as he gets his first touch of power and control, to which he becomes addicted.

An exciting and mature read that is hard to put dow
Amel Armeliana
Buku Irving Wallace yg pertama kali dibaca. A great book. With an unexpected ending.
Sneha
Books like these are what makes you want to find the author and throttle him.

The book starts out with great promise. The media mogul who just inherited the throne, the yuppie reporter with great zeal, the cynical - handsome, of course - more experienced mentor cum crush of hers, the promise of a devious plot, its all there. But nothing takes off. The characters flatline right after they are broken-in, everyone stops using their brains and the big idea - the billionaire media mogul creating his
Naveed Shahed
This is a book you cant put down. Although I'm more of a mystery, horror and adventure reader myself, this book, was just another case.
The very idea of "making news happen" was horrific. Wallace really takes you on a joyride full of adventure, suspense and thrill.
A fantastic read to say the least. If you are searching for some good books to read, then your search is over here.
Nancy
A son so eager to surpass his own father that he will literally do anything to get there. Unbeknownst to him and them two reporters are following his trail. Nick and Victoria are actually doing the ground work for Armisteads plots. Victoria some how manages to be there as some of these news making events happen but she can't ever manage to get the story in before the mysterious Mark Bradshaw.
Daniela Costa
Loved it!
I had never read anything from Irving Wallace but my friend thought I would like it. When I saw the book that seems to be written in a writing machine and I realized its first edition was from 1982, the same year that I was born, I got suspicious. I thought it was an historic book and I'm really not into them.
Therefore, the book took me really from surprise. Is was amazing! I couldn't stop reading it, even thought it has really long chapters. It was completely addicting. The story was
Joshua Kurnia
It was a great book, but sometimes could be a little bit slow and boring. The description of the settings and people is immaculately detailed, which is really intriguing. The ending could be a little bit more climax. It was raw and realistic. I like how the setting is not just in 1 country, but actually in several different places. Overall, it was worth reading.
Aditya
Irwing Wallace is famous for doing vast research for his plot & characters. And here also you can expect the same. The novel was predictable throughout the course of its contents. I was expecting a great twist in the end like I got to read while I was reading The Seven Minutes. In spite of the predictability , Wallace has kept the readers spellbound & mesmerized through the character of Victoria Weston's pursuit of revealing the hypothetical journalist Mark Bradshaw .Wallace has astutely ...more
Rajesh S Shirali
like a masala hindi movie...jeetendra had made a movie called new delhi times- with strikingly similar storyline in the 80s- dunno who copped whom
Jorge
A great book that show everything a person that carries all the World in his shoulders can do to stand on the top.
Maximiliano
Verdaderamente digno de una película de Hollywood... de esas que terminan en el botadero.
Hyderali Shaikh
This was my first Irving Wallace Book & I must say I never felt anytime bored or felt that I should skip few pages nothing sort of that. Instead, I was so much hooked to this book that I didn't realized it was over.

It was thrilling, will keep you flipping pages & very interesting plotline.Also, the writing is not like I've read in some other book where the author describe a person details fully from his childhood till date. Infact, it was very much in detail about each person.

I must say
Rukmini Singh
"The Almighty" was my first book from Mr. Wallace.
The truth is, I thought it would be boring, since it was one of the old books from my Grandad's library, but I couldn't keep it down at all.
I read it in one go, that's how interesting and engaging it was, so full of surprises and just so nicely written.
The plot was amazing, and the characters so well-written.
Definitely one of the best books ever.
A must read for someone who wants to read something from Mr. Wallace.
A true page-turner.
10 on 10!
Ajay Ajay
What if you start predicting the news. No big deal. But what if you do today on world arena to print it as a news. What if you can manipulate an unthinkable event related to US President, which only you can, and then next day headlines is suppose to flash!

It will be a chilling breaking news. Enter the world of Irving Wallace, and get the taste of it.
Tom
Excellent book.

This was the first time, I tried Irving Wallace and i should say it was really an excellent entertainer and kept me on the edge throughout.

The book is quite fast paced and no where the author goes into unnecessary details.

Very well written and moves like a movie.

I will by trying more of Irving Wallace books now.
Sandy Menke
1980's novel about greedy man whose father dies (whom he did not love) and now he gets his chance to run family NY newspaper. He begins to hire terrorists to make "news" through kidnappings of famous people, which ends up in killings. Very interesting twist...enjoyed.
Sandeep Bhalla
My guess is that the James Bond series movie 'Tomorrow never comes' was based on this story. The plot was same. But this novel is better than movie. The fact that I remember this novel's plot after three decades, itself speaks about it.
Brijesh Kartha

I found this book to be very boring. It might partly be to the fact that media houses creating news instead of reporting them was already old news (pardon the pun) by the time I read this book. Not my favourite Wallace book.
Apoorva Shankaran
A little prolonging but a good read . It's the first book in three(once I have read) in which the author has drawn the conclusion himself without leaving it on us.
David Paul
My reading experience was wonderful, this book had mixed flavor like romance, thriller, drama everything.

This is the one of the finest book that I ever read.
Elaine
Apparition appeared in 1858 to Bernadette. She died in 1879 and was canonized in 1933.
Carlos was Venezualan. Real name:Ilich Ramiriz Sanchez
Indah Threez Lestari
32nd - 2011

Media tycoon yang menciptakan beritanya sendiri. Mungkin film James Bond ke-18, Tomorrow Never Dies, terinspirasi novel ini.
Arnold Camus
Muy bueno, demuestra el poder de los medios de comunicación y el mal uso de este solo para un objetivo personal.
Luis Rg
Es una buena historia pero hubiera preferido que el final no fuera tan "romántico"...
Vijay Ramdu
15 Head knocking Straight shots.. On the Rock chapters! An Excellent read!
Siddharth
A very innovative plot though extremely far-fetched in too many places.
Omkar
Mindblowing... Out of this world.... Nice plot with lots of twists...
Pawan Gadia
Ingenius plot, thriller, must read for people in media...
Babete
Bom, dentro do género!
Luke Takawira Mandizha
The book is just fantastic
  • Landslide
  • In High Places
  • The Tower of Babel
  • The Inheritors
  • Brain Dead
  • Florida Heat (Florida Heat Murder Mystery Series)
  • A Filha do Papa (Vaticano, #4)
  • Nightrunners of Bengal (The Story-Tellers)
  • O Segredo do Rio
  • Lovers and Gamblers
  • The Householder
  • Battlestar Galactica 3: The Tombs of Kobol (Battlestar Galactica, #3)
  • The Steradian Trail (The Infinity Cycle, #0)
  • Irish Fairy Tales
  • Child of the Holocaust
  • Shall We Tell the President? (Kane & Abel, #3)
Irving Wallace was an American bestselling author and screenwriter. His extensively researched books included such page-turners as The Chapman Report (1960), about human sexuality; The Prize (1962), a fictional behind-the-scenes account of the Nobel Prizes; The Man, about a black man becoming president of the U.S. in the 1960s; and The Word (1972), about the discovery of a new gospel.

Wallace was b
More about Irving Wallace...
The Second Lady The Seventh Secret The Word The Man The Seven Minutes

“Bradshaw. That Dietz would pretend he existed, and got them all those sensational scoops when she knew— That instant, she knew. She felt the goose pimples grow on her arms, and her fingers clenched the steering wheel more tightly as her body went rigid. It was coming to her in a rush, the incredible answers to the questions that she had been asking herself in these last weeks. Like a streak of lightning throwing a bright, stark light on a dark area, illuminating all that had been hidden so long. In those stunning moments of revelation, Victoria could see the whole truth. It was too shocking, even horrifying, to believe, but it was the truth, there could be no other. It was coming to her—who Mark Bradshaw was; why she and Nick had always been sent to scenes where terrorism was about to happen, to file advance background stories where terrorism would occur; how the Record had obtained exclusive stories on the kidnapping of the Spanish king and abduction of the UN secretary-general and theft of the Dead Sea scrolls and murder of the Israeli prime minister and near kidnapping of the Pope in Lourdes; why Carlos was not being picked up and jailed; why she had abruptly been ordered to leave Paris and return to New York.” 0 likes