Start by marking “Thunderbolts, Vol. 1: Faith in Monsters (Hardcover)” as Want to Read:
Thunderbolts, Vol. 1: Faith in Monsters (Hardcover)

Thunderbolts, Vol. 1: Faith in Monsters (Thunderbolts #1)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  573 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Venom, lethal protector. The enigmatic Moonstone. Bullseye, the man who never misses. Songbird, mistress of sound. Chen Lu, the Radioactive Man. Swordsman, master of the blade. The mystery man called Penance. And Norman Osborn, the Green Goblin. They're America's newest celebrities, ready to take to the skies at a moment's notice in pursuit of those secret, unregistered su ...more
Published October 3rd 2007 by Marvel Comics (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Thunderbolts, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thunderbolts, Vol. 1

Watchmen by Alan MooreV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanThe Absolute Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanThe Walking Dead, Book One by Robert Kirkman
Graphic Novels That Rocked My World
110th out of 300 books — 145 voters
Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert KirkmanBatman by Alan MooreAkira, Vol. 1 by Katsuhiro OtomoFables, Vol. 1 by Bill Willingham
Comics I Recommend Highly
97th out of 133 books — 38 voters

More lists with this book...

Nicholas Karpuk
I fully admit I find villains more interesting. If 1% of the population gained superpowers tomorrow I can almost guarantee the ratio of heroes to villains would be highly skewed. Heroics have a pretty slim number of motivators, while behaving badly has a plethora. (Of course these stories rarely account for people who might get superpowers, and decide to continue living their lives normally.)

I didn't even know the Thunderbolts existed until the new change ups. It mostly came unto my radar becaus
Silas
I followed the Thunderbolts when they first came out, and really enjoyed that series and its conflicting motivations of ex-villains either trying to be heroes or trying to convince the world that they were. This is definitely a big change from that original group (my reading fell off for some time), but it has a lot of the same themes and ideas developed in a new way. This takes place around the time of the Civil War, and focuses on a group of barely controlled criminals, former Thunderbolts, an ...more
Jon Arnold
Thunderbolts was always one of the more interesting concepts for a superhero team – the bad guys turned good (or apparently good). The high point of the original run was probably the ending of the first issue, which gave away the high concept at the heart of the series, the Masters of Evil being wolves who’d dress up in sheep’s clothing. They probably realised life would be easier if they stopped advertising their motivations with that lurid name.

In the moral grey area created by the Civil War s
Holden Attradies
I really like the idea of the Thunderbolts, and I REALLY like Songbirds character. I guess I just find their story hard to follow because I've been reading things not really in order but by what I can get my hands on which I think has been taking away from my enjoyment a bit...

Any ways. The artwork in this volume was pretty nice. I particularly enjoyed the coloring. I also really enjoyed all the T.V. spots that were spread in between the story. IT really shows how the public perception of the su
Kurt
This is a new direction for the Thunderbolts, and it's nothing short of amazing. The Thunderbolts started out as villains pretending to be heroes and finding that they were slowly becoming what they pretended to be. It was a potentially fascinating study of involuntary redemption, and although it was generally too comic-booky (long dialogue exchanges during fight scenes, Silver Age grandstanding from Zemo, etc.), the premise was strong. In this volume, Ellis and Deodato explore something else. T ...more
Sam Quixote
This is a spin-off of Marvel's "Civil War" event from a few years ago. In the wake of the Superhero Registration Act where superheroes had to reveal their identities and sign up to the government's program where their powers and statuses are monitored to stop them from being vigilantes, a group of super-villains are chosen to hunt down the renegade superheroes who refused to sign up - this group's name is the Thunderbolts.

I wasn't much of a fan of the Civil War "event" and especially the idea th
Andrew
So I finally gave this a try after all the high praise.

One of the things that always held me back is, at the end of the day it is a book about villains. Masquerading as heroes sure, but still villains. Some are perhaps on the road to redemption. Some are more villainous than others, but still villains.

Now that does not keep Ellis from being able to make each of these characters compelling. He does a great job of spreading the development across the team. Something often lacking in team books. E
Travis
Another good idea done badly, as the government decides to use a group of 'reformed' villains as a dirty jobs task force.
Unfortunately, Warren spends too much time making sure everyone spouts 'clever' dialogue and making the characters as unpleasant or bland as possible that you don't care.

then there's the tiny little problem I have with the united states government putting Norman Osborn, a known murderer and sociopath in charge of a government agency without any evidence that he answers to anyo
Jared
I really wanted to like this book, but with the general premise of it, it was really hard to get into--it was mostly just amoral super-villains interacting around other amoral super-villains. The high points of the book was when we got to see the actual "super-heroes," and I really have to commend Ellis for making me care about characters like American Eagle and the Steel Spider. I also thought the moments when they show the "Thunderbolt" toy commercials--complete with screaming terrorist Captai ...more
Fizzgig76
Reprints Thunderbolts #110-115, Thunderbolts: Desperate Measures, Civil War: Choosing Sides, and The Initiative. Osborn gathers criminals to begin enforcing the Superhuman Registration Act but finds that even he's having difficulties manipulating them. It is hard to make American Eagle cool. Ellis manages to do it in the issues that he uses him. The Thunderbolts assignments are to collect rogue heroes, but since most of the real characters are accounted for in other series, people like Jack Flag ...more
Luiz Fernando
Oct 12, 2014 Luiz Fernando added it
Shelves: 2014
This is a great (new) start to the Thunderbolts. Deodato delivers an amazing artwork that fits the storyline by Warren Ellis perfectly.

I don't feel like I can rate this with stars 'cause it's the begining of something; this volume presents only a partial conclusion.
Derek
I feel that Warren Ellis' run on Thunderbolts was largely overlooked during the Civil War/Secret Invasion/Dark Reign maelstrom and that's a real shame. Ellis' two trade paperbacks (or twelve issues or so, if you prefer) are a joy to read. The action is balanced well with attention to characterization and subtle nuances about the changing Marvel universe. The books are also deceptively subversive, which is nothing new for Warren Ellis, but you feel like he's getting away with something playing in ...more
Eric
Feb 16, 2014 Eric added it
..have read all the Thunderbolts....love them. Moral ambivalence.
Brad
Not Warren Ellis' finest work, but he does a great job getting inside the heads of Bullseye and Norman Osborne. There are too many (and too many second-rate) villains in this book for Ellis to make it sing. On the other hand, I enjoyed him using third-string Marvel heroes in Phoenix, like the Steel Spider, American Eagle and Shadowoman (I have no idea what the proper capitalization is for her.)
Mike Deodato's art is still a bit too shadowed, and his use of Tommy Lee Jones' face for Norman Osborne
Johnny Zombie-writer
Very dark and pretty brutal for MU after the effects of the whole civil war arc, a new team is needed for dealing with the rebel superheroes, so controlled with violence Norman Osbourne is in charge to bring together villains as the group, bullseye, venom and the like, pure psychopaths.
What could happen?
Some epic and brutal art work really brings this story to life.
Christopher
I really liked this book. Warren Ellis was the perfect writer for this storyline "Faith In Monsters". Only Warren can bring out the darkness of each villain who suddenly was used by the government to track down unregistered superhumans. If you are gonna play with the dogs, better expect to get fleas.

This book was very dark and sinister and I recommend it to those of you that like to dabble on the darker side of graphic novels. Cheers.
Ed Soto
May 08, 2010 Ed Soto rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Dark Avengers
Reread this and volume and the second volume, "Cage Angels" due to my renewed interest in the current Siege crossover. For people who like Dark Avengers, THis is where that story truly begins, especially the mental breakdown of Norman Osborn. Also, Mike Deodato is the perfect artist for this book as he can draw great superhero action but, his heavy us of shadows helps create a tense, dark atmosphere.
Noah Soudrette
Not only is this a daring series, it's a great one too! Only Ellis could made you kind of like/kind of hate every character in a book. This is both chilling and humorous and focuses on a lot of minor characters in the Marvel U. who've never gotten a lot of quality face time. There's also some wonderfully scathing attacks on media, commercialism, and our government. High quality, a must read.
Nick Winstead
Holy Crap!! This has to be one of the best comic book series out there right now. A series where some of the worst villains in the Marvel Universe are employed by the government to track down and capture rogue super heroes. A reality show is also filmed of them, and there are some great comparisons to our current administration as well. Very intriguing.
M
Warren Ellis takes the "reformed super-villain" concept and drowns us with a team of psychotics and murderers as superstars! Norman Osborn is allowed to choose his hero-hunting team, adding Venom, Bullseye, and Swordsman to the group of criminals. Sent to bring in unregistered heroes, Ellis shows us a gleefully dark look at the Thunderbolts squad.
Matthew
I tried reading some of the earlier Thunderbolts stuff, but honestly I couldn't see it as anything but drivel. Unsurprisingly Warren Ellis delivered a great change of pace for the series. This first part of his run (110-116) was just so, so well written and was so authentically interesting as a story.
Mike Thomas
This is a great book, set after the Superhero Civil War, the public have lost interest in superheroes, so they get a bunch of ex super villains to become "heroes", its a great story, well drawn and excellently paced. A recommended read to any super hero or villain fan....
Kirk Kohler
Action scenes are of high calibare. Felt like I was reading an action movie. Love the mix of a "team" the thunderbolts attempt to keep together to capture the good guys. Great plot, bad guys catching the good guys, all in the name of national security.
Angela
The Thunderbolts are reimagined under Norman Osborn. There are new members: Penance, Venom and Bullseye. This is a really good read, all the characters are portrayed in a way that you really care what happens to them. It's an unputdownable book.
Aaron
Its still in its setup phase for this story arc but it really does have the potential to get a bit disturbing. I'm very interested to see where it ends up going.
Judd Karlman
It is worth it just to read Ellis' take on Norman Osborn a.k.a. the Green Goblin as a cross between the Joker and George W. Bush played by Tommy Lee Jones.
Clay
The only problem I have with this book is the art. I love Deodato's art but not in this book. It's dark and hides more than it helps the story.
Shannon Appelcline
I'm sorry to see the old Thunderbolts go, but this is wonderfully written, well characterized, brutally plotted, and beautifully drawn.
John Ekleberry
A few years old now (Civil War period) this is the best Marvel graphic novel I've read in some time.
Matt
The bad guys reign in the good guys. A spin off of Civil War and a must read after that trade.
  • Annihilation, Book Three
  • Decimation: Generation M
  • New X-Men, Vol. 2: Imperial
  • Supreme Power, Volume 2: Powers and Principalities
  • Punisher: Dark Reign
Has written comics & graphic novels, books, journalism, animation, tv, film, videogames and anything else that looks like it might pay a bill or buy whisky.

Second novel, GUN MACHINE, due from Mulholland Books in autumn of 2012.

First non-fiction book due from FSG in 2014.

Currently a weekly columnist for VICE UK.

Hello. WHERE AM I

More about Warren Ellis...
Transmetropolitan, Vol. 1: Back on the Street (Transmetropolitan, #1) Transmetropolitan, Vol. 3: Year of the Bastard (Transmetropolitan, #3) Transmetropolitan, Vol. 2: Lust for Life (Transmetropolitan, #2) Planetary, Vol. 1: All Over the World and Other Stories Transmetropolitan, Vol. 5: Lonely City (Transmetropolitan, #5)