The Big Trip (Lonely Planet General Reference)

The Big Trip (Lonely Planet General Reference)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The Big Trip
So, you know you want to experience that ultimate overseas adventure - but where do you start? Right here, with the one-stop guide to planning the trip of a lifetime. Try these ideas on for size:
Swim with dolphins off the coast of New Zealand
Learn Spanish in Guatemala
Hike your own pioneer route through Canada
Teach Children English in Ghana
Work your way around...more
Published November 1st 2008 by Lonely Planet

Em
When I picked up this book I expected it to be another boring guidebook, that you would force yourself to read so you wouldn't end up dead in Cambodia. This was the complete opposite! It was witty, and I often found myself laughing along with it, which is something you would never expect to do with a guidebook. It had great tips for travelling alone, especially as an alone woman (a fake wedding ring is useful).

Even though this book is meant for people travelling in their gap years, it's a book...more
Am Y
This book is useful not just for students planning gap year trips, but for anyone of any age interested in going on a travel adventure around the world. There are tons of resources: websites mainly, but also useful information and advice on what to expect or how to go about doing something (e.g. finding a job as an au pair overseas, volunteering in developing countries, etc). There are also suggested routes for various parts of the world (e.g. Southeast Asia, Europe, etc) which is particularly u...more
Katie Dreyer
My copy of this book is filled with post its, notes, and folded corners to mark an especially important spot. If you're planning any sort of extended trip, especially if you're like me and need to do it on the cheap, this is the book for you. Endlessly helpful in providing tips, safety rules, and ideas for excursions. There's even a list of websites to go to when looking for a cheap (but not completely disgusting) hostel. Great book, and one I'll be lugging around with me for quite some time.
John
Ok so I haven't taken my gap year trip, but this book was still a great read. The sections on trip planning were hilarious while still being informative. Then, the pieces on continents were suprisingly accurate and still funny
Tomorn n.
Lots of helpful information around the globe!
Blueanimestar101
Blueanimestar101 is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2014
Temika
Temika is currently reading it
Jul 07, 2014
Peter Ck
Peter Ck marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Kara Mackillop
Kara Mackillop marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Dee
Dee marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Jaede
Jaede marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Jason Sherman
Jason Sherman marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Stine
Stine added it
Apr 24, 2014
Ivy
Ivy marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Luthien
Luthien is currently reading it
Apr 14, 2014
Bianca
Bianca marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Caro
Caro marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Dani
Dani marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Julia
Julia added it
Mar 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Rough Guide to Melbourne 3 Lonely Planet Australia: Victoria Lonely Planet: Southeast Asia on a shoestring Micronations Adelaide & South Australia (Regional Guide)