Gotch: An American Hero

Gotch: An American Hero

3.2 of 5 stars 3.20  ·  rating details  ·  5 ratings  ·  2 reviews
Frank Gotch was world heavyweight wrestling champion from 1908 to 1915, the best known athlete of his era. He wrestled in the rough and tumble mining camps of Alaska, and in front of 31,000 fans in Chocago. Follow his story as he goes from Iowa farmboy to the most celebrated sports hero in America, and dies tragically at the age of 39.

Gotch rubbed shoulders with some of th

Published November 22nd 1999 by Culture House Books

Chad Dundas
Apr 07, 2007 Chad Dundas rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Grapplers
Let's face it, Frank Gotch was a liar and a cheat. We all know he paid Ad Santel to cripple Georg Hackenschmidt before their second bout. Too bad Chapman spends 249 of these 250 pages sucking Gotch's dick and the other page bending over to take it in the ass from the greatest American wrestler of the early 20th century. I respect what Gotch did -- dude was a straight-up badass, straight up -- but let's not pretend for one second that he was some kind of mama's boy who didn't die of syph. Okay?
Amy
Jan 13, 2010 Amy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sports
I thought it was a nice book, decent storyline and flow. It's a pretty easy read. I think there were things that could have been "fleshed out" more. I wouldn't put this as an outstanding book, but it was nice and it brought Frank Gotch to life during a time (turn of the last century) that is quickly being forgotten.
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Eric Moss
Eric Moss marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2013
Wrestling Tough Achilles Lowell Park Legends of the Mat The Life and Legacy of Frank Gotch: King of the Catch-As-Catch-Can Wrestlers