Start by marking “Dark Water” as Want to Read:

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  1,408 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
he water is dark and cold....

Two decades ago, Sarah Jane Whitman's father disappeared with an embezzled fortune from his local bank, an act of betrayal that subjected his wife and daughter to a vicious scandal. Now a body has been pulled from its watery tomb, a body that is identified as Frank Whitman's. This grim discovery proves Sarah's father was innocent...and that the
Published May 1st 2006 by Mira Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Water

Lyndi
Jul 23, 2014 Lyndi rated it really liked it
Alright, I'm going with 3.5 stars - the book definitely redeemed itself after a rocky start with an overly-aggressive and irresponsible main character. She was pretty bad at the beginning, but she soon got her shit together and was much improved for the rest of the book.

The villain was fairly obvious from the beginning, though the hints (view spoiler)
Carrie
Jan 07, 2010 Carrie rated it it was ok
Two stars means it was OK, and that sums this book up pretty well. It was OK. I thought the writing was simplistic, the characters two-dimensional, and the action not suspenseful or even that believable. The love story felt rushed, and little time was spent building the attraction or the tension. This book felt like a made-for-TV movie.
Ursula Bauer
Aug 25, 2012 Ursula Bauer rated it really liked it
Picked it up, couldn't put it down, read well past midnight! I found the characters particulalry interesting. There was also a really fast movement to the narrative. Love when a book sucks me in.
Betty Melton
Jun 11, 2017 Betty Melton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dark Water

Each book I read by this author is a a bit different. A lot more intense. As good if not better than the last. She has a compelling way of putting a story to pen. Off to find the next one!
Pam
May 26, 2017 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this book was great! Grabs you from the beginning to the end that you never saw coming!!! I recommend this book to all!!!
Michelle
Mar 05, 2017 Michelle rated it liked it
My three stars is generous. For the sake of Sharon Sala, who is usually better. I didn't care about these two-dimensional characters. And when supporting characters go on about how beautiful / smart / talented / strong / sassy a (frankly) boring heroine is ... I just did a lot of eye rolling.

And why did we have to add in the touch of psychic voodoo? Totally not needed.
Lynn
Feb 18, 2017 Lynn rated it liked it
Mia
Jan 30, 2017 Mia rated it it was amazing
This was great. A bit predictable, but just a bit. I am usually very intuitive though and what I find predictable others may not even notice. I almost didn't read this book because I just started reading this author. I began with Bloodlines which I found to be very predictable. Within the first few chapters I pretty much knew exactly how the book would end as well as all the so called secrets. Still, I found the writing good. I didn't like that the lead woman seemed weak of character, to me, in ...more
Arwen56
Jul 10, 2012 Arwen56 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Praticamente trattasi di un romanzo “Harmony” travestito da “giallo”. E pure in modo alquanto pedestre.

Già l’inizio è tutto un cinema:

Se Avery Wheeler non avesse rapinato un furgone blindato a Farmington, Maine, e non avesse preso in ostaggio una donna, la polizia non gli avrebbe mai dato la caccia mentre si dirigeva a nord, sulla statale 27.

Ma dai? Ma non mi dire … roba da non credersi … praticamente come a dire che se mio nonno avesse avuto il trolley, sarebbe stato un tram.

E poi c’è ‘sta tip
Heather
Feb 15, 2014 Heather rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance, mystery
Honestly I hate to say this but this was almost a did not finish for me. I hate giving bad reviews but this was a let down for me. Started out great with some action then discovering a dead body that has been under water for twenty years. As this was my "on the go" book I didn't feel bad puttting it down and coming back to it later. That just says it was very far from good enough to be brought in the house and devour until finished.

To me Aunt Lorett 'stole the show'. We hear alot about her from
Suze
Dec 18, 2016 Suze rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DARK WATER

I always enjoy Sharon Sala's books, full of romance and suspense. But the main thing I like the best is the great relatable characters. This book is no exception, wonderful read.
Vanessa
This book was ok. I gave it three stars instead of two because I did read it in one day. It started off good, but mostly I just wanted to finish it. My mother adores Sharon Sala and she and I have similar tastes, but this book was a little flat overall. The heroine was crying almost the whole book. She may have had the right to the tears considering the circumstances, but it really became annoying after a while. I liked Tony, but the romantic dialog was mostly corny and unbelievable at times.

The
Sparkymom
May 25, 2015 Sparkymom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

I loved this story. Tony and Sarah were perfect for each other. He understood her on a level deeper than most and was willing to do anything in his power to keep her safe. Sarah was burdened with the weight of the betrayal of her hometown and the guilt of having possibly misjudged her father. You could see flashes of her spunky personality when circumstances didn't push it under her fear and anger. Tony was just rock steady. Their romance was more of a hot steady flame that grew rather t
Jennie Leigh
Mar 07, 2011 Jennie Leigh rated it liked it
Shelves: wishlist
I have read a few of Sharon Sala's books and have liked each of them so far. She writes characters that often come with a bit of an edge that makes them more interesting, if not quite wholly believable. I enjoyed the mystery here, as usual, and the emotion as well. It is an enjoyable read with enough mystery, romance, and action to keep one engaged.
Tracy Walters
Aug 07, 2011 Tracy Walters rated it liked it
This was a pretty easy read and the romance was nice. I personally would've chose a different nickname for the guy though...."Silk" just didn't do it for me. A little too smarmy.....but that's just my opinion. I liked the atmosphere of being in a cabin in the mountains by a lake. It was pretty easy to tell who the murderer was but it was kind of fun getting there.

Suzie
May 04, 2016 Suzie rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Not too shabby! Felt a little slow... But the story was well written. It wasnt until 3/4 through that I figured out who the killer was. Wasn't exactly a dead give away like some are. It wasnt *edge of your suspense*, either. It was just a good story.
This is the first book I've read from this author and it was enough for me to want to find more of her work.
Chana
Feb 15, 2009 Chana rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-romance
Not too bad for a romance/mystery. It is reasonably entertaining. The romance part of the book has the usual silly dialogue such as the way the male character is often "cupping" the female character's elbow, cheek, chin or the back of her head. The mystery part is interesting and scattered with short scenes of surprising violence. It has a sweet ending.
Tracy
Dec 18, 2009 Tracy rated it liked it
I found this book on my shelf and I'm not sure where it came from - maybe a free one from an offer to join a bookclub years ago? What a treat it was to realize that it's actually a very interesting little mystery novel. I really like the main character and the ending was surprising.
Kerry
Sep 13, 2015 Kerry rated it liked it
I loved the last book I read from this author, but this one fell a little flat for me. The writing was slow, and I found myself skimming at times. I also didn't quite see the spark between the main characters.
Marta Hartman
Nov 18, 2015 Marta Hartman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Sharon Sala books!

Just the right amount of mystery and chemistry! Those who like romance with strong characters will enjoy this book. The plot is centered around the one sin we are all guilty of at one time or another - passing judgement on our fellow man.
Jessica Rice
I absolutely loved this book! There was just the right kinda of balance between romance and thriller to make it a perfect read.

I must admit I'm now hooked on Sharon Sala as an author and I'm slowly working my way through her books!
Jess
Sharon Sala is an author that always pops up on author-readalike lists for other people I like. I don't know why I haven't tried her before this. I hope I like it. Book "D" in the A-Z Romance Challenge.
Jan  Miller
Nov 11, 2015 Jan Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!

I had never read any of Sharon Sala's boos before this one, but this one was so good that she will be one of my favorite authors soon, I am sure! I couldn't put the book down!
Brookelynn Bender
Sep 05, 2013 Brookelynn Bender rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was amazing. I loved how they went back and forth to each character.
Susanne Leist
Oct 10, 2013 Susanne Leist rated it really liked it
Very suspenseful.
Linda McDowell
Sep 21, 2016 Linda McDowell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good mystery

A good fast read. Twists and turns. Maybe a little too light in the character development but as I said a fast read
Christin
Decent book, easy read, good mystery/ love story...enjoyed it..would read this author again
Margo Sercu
Mar 23, 2014 Margo Sercu rated it it was amazing
I started this book last night and couldn't put it down. You have to read till almost the end to figure out who dunnit. Lots of twists and turns. Definitely 5 star
Renna
Nov 10, 2008 Renna rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book!!! Romance was so great - little more realistic than some romance/mystery books... The ending will totally surprise you!!! Great and easy read!!! Enjoy!
  • The Perfect Lie
  • On the Edge (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #1.5)
  • With Her Last Breath
  • Breakwater (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #5)
  • Branded by the Sheriff (Texas Paternity #2)
  • Finding Her Son (Carder Texas Connections, #1)
  • A Family for Faith
  • The Widow's Protector (Fitzgerald Bay, #4)
  • Clay (Louisiana Gentleman #4)
  • The Cowboy Lawman (Cooper Creek, #5)
  • Homecoming
  • Dakota Heat, Volume 1 (Her Dakota Men: Dakota Ranch Crude)
  • Little Girl Lost (The Secrets of Stoneley, #2)
  • Narrow Escape (Sonoma, #4)
  • Cold Target
  • Desert Heat (Sinclair Sisters Trilogy, #2)
  • Dead Giveaway (Stillwater, #2)
  • Sara's Mates (Sugar Creek #3)

Biography

Sharon Sala is a long-time member of RWA, as well as a member of OKRWA. She has 100 plus books in print, published in five different genres – Romance, Young Adult, Western, Fiction, and Women’s Fiction. First published in 1991, she’s an eight-time RITA finalist, winner of the Janet Dailey Award, five-time Career Achievement winner from RT Magazine, five time winner of the National Reader
More about Sharon Sala...