Sharks! (National Geographic Kids)

Sharks! (National Geographic Kids)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  28 reviews
He’s quick. He’s silent. He has five rows of deadly teeth. Chomp! Meet the shark—the fish who ruled the deep before dinosaurs roamed the Earth! This fish has soft cartilage so he can glide, twist, and turn before his prey can say "gulp!" He can smell a single drop of blood in 25 million drops of ocean. He can feel electricity given off by his prey. He will lose and replace...more
Published July 8th 2008 by National Geographic Children's Books

Brad
I love this book because Brontë loves this book. And Brontë loves sharks, and this book is the reason Brontë loves sharks (interesting that Zombies are her favourite monster and sharks are her favourite animal, isn't it?). And I can see why.

Anne Schreiber doesn't dumb things down for the kids. She brings them along with her in a conversation about sharks, and when she talks about predators and prey, or cartilege, or serrated teeth, she takes the time (in little side blurbs) to explain what she'...more
Shana Frazin
Perfect mentor text for Nonfiction Chapter Books, an information writing book for first graders that is a part of Heinemann's Units of Study in Opinion, Information and Narrative Writing.
Melynda Moore
What: This book talks about different sharks anatomy, where they live, what they eat, and what they look like. It includes many great real pictures that go perfectly along with the text.
So What: Students must learn about the external characteristics of different organisms and how they use them.
Now What: Students will create their own shark model out of whatever material they use. It can be drawn or made into a 3d model. The model must include the exterior characteristics of the shark and studen...more
Sandy
This book is good for any kind of children. It talks about sharks and to learn more about sharks.
Chelsea Kimmey
Guided towards 2-3 graders who are interested in sharks. The pictures add interest to the text
Herzon
Mar 11, 2014 Herzon marked it as to-read
I like it
Jen
Just got a set of these National Geographic Readers for my oldest son today through his school book order and they are AWESOME! We started out reading this one first and I couldn't believe how much information was enclosed in this short little book! I learned a lot about sharks as did my son. As always with National Geographic's productions, the pictures were splendid and added so much to the text. I would highly recommend this book/series!
Sheila
This book is an interactive piece of literature. It steps out of the book and asked the reader to participate. I really enjoyed it because of all the valuable information that it reported. It gives information on the fastest, the smallest, and the weirdest looking sharks. With all the information in the book, it goes a step further an gives an assessment at the end which I thought was a great idea and a big help for reading comprehension.
Ubalstecha
This is a great non-fiction book from National Geographic on sharks. Lots of photos and short bursts of information make it great for the struggling reader. It's layout and look make it appealing to the older struggling reader or ESL student. This is a must for a school library.
vampire lover
I read this a long time ago and tottaly forgot all about it. It is a great book if your looking for intertanment. but if you want real information get sharkapedia. look that book up. when you find it see hoow much it really is then compare prices if it is higher then $12.00
Wooden Horse
I enjoy the silly jokes along the top a little too much sometimes. The text is informative and the pictures are pretty graphic. The one on the cover is probably the scariest. There is a similar one with an unfortunate fish but it's not bloody like the cover image.
babyhippoface
General information on sharks and specific details about certain species are accompanied by close-up photographs of the great fish in action. Insets with jokes and word definitions appear frequently. This is a very good choice for elementary libraries.
Amy
This easy to read book about sharks will surely be engaging for students. The photos are appealing while the text is simple, yet informative. This would be great during our food chains and webs unit. Perfect for my below level readers.
Ted Parsons
Kids love sharks and this book was very informational about sharks. This book would be nice to have in a classroom library for students to read independently. It would definintely improve on a student's schema about sharks.
Keith
This is a dope book. It shows all types of sharks, good pictures of their teeth, and shows a one-armed surfer and a surfboard that has a huge bite out of it. Great for kids!
Joanna C
is that the sharks are quik and quiet they have five row of teeth.
If sharks ios a teeth one gro.Thers a sharks that is camaflog it is like ios of roks and light browns
Mr. Coomey teacher
I like it beacase it has sharks and nature thats why i like it. you maybe not like it if you do not like shark!!!!!!!!! but i like it:) :) :) :) :) :)
Jessica P.
Very informative book about all kinds of sharks. Talks about shark attacks at end. For any student who enjoys animals. AR: 3.0,, .5pts.
Alyson
Im curently reading this and its awsome. I liked it and i dont know about you guys but i didnt like it i loved it.
Tricia
Great use of photographs in this level 2 easy reader that provides excellent basic details about these creatures.
Megan Bratton
Great pictures. discusses various types of sharks and their life cycles. Boys in my class would love this!
Kenneth Kinsey
I feel good about this story because the sharks live in the ocean.and shark have 100 teeth in their mouth.
Carol Royce Owen
Great for your reluctant readers. I used this with struggling 3rd graders and they loved it.
Cya
Great science book. Also good for teaching research, table of contents ect.
Tiara
Read with the kids via the Reading Rainbow app.
Bao Tran
Bao Tran marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Anahi Rangel
Anahi Rangel marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Biggest, Strongest, Fastest
  • Sneetches are Sneetches: Learn About Same and Different
  • Pinduli
  • Here Comes the Garbage Barge!
  • Red Riding Hood
  • Years of Dust
  • There's a Fly Guy in My Soup (Fly Guy, #12)
  • More Spaghetti, I Say! (Hello Reader, Level 2)
  • Goldilocks and the Three Bears
  • Hachiko: The True Story of a Loyal Dog
  • Froggy Plays in the Band
  • Twisters and Other Terrible Storms (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #8)
  • Why Do Leaves Change Color?
  • What's The Big Idea, Ben Franklin?
  • It's Pumpkin Time!
  • A River Ran Wild: An Environmental History
  • Wish for a Fish: All About Sea Creatures
  • Pigsty
Twister Trouble (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #5) The Magic School Bus in the Arctic: A Book About Heat: A Book About Heat Penguins! Volcanoes! (National Geographic Kids) Pandas (National Geographic Kids)