Start by marking “Sharks! (National Geographic Kids)” as Want to Read:
Sharks! (National Geographic Kids)

Sharks! (National Geographic Kids)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  171 ratings  ·  35 reviews
He’s quick. He’s silent. He has five rows of deadly teeth. Chomp! Meet the shark—the fish who ruled the deep before dinosaurs roamed the Earth! This fish has soft cartilage so he can glide, twist, and turn before his prey can say "gulp!" He can smell a single drop of blood in 25 million drops of ocean. He can feel electricity given off by his prey. He will lose and replace ...more
Published July 8th 2008 by National Geographic Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Sharks!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sharks!

Brad
I love this book because Brontë loves this book. And Brontë loves sharks, and this book is the reason Brontë loves sharks (interesting that Zombies are her favourite monster and sharks are her favourite animal, isn't it?). And I can see why.

Anne Schreiber doesn't dumb things down for the kids. She brings them along with her in a conversation about sharks, and when she talks about predators and prey, or cartilege, or serrated teeth, she takes the time (in little side blurbs) to explain what she'
Rachael Mack
National Geographic: Sharks is part of a series about a plethora of wild animals. The book includes so many facts about sharks and what their life is like. The facts include things life diet, teeth, and the many types of sharks that exist in the ocean. I enjoyed that this book had access features such as blurbs of word definitions to help children understand what the author is talking about. I love the idea of learning new words while learning new information. It is a win-win!
What caught my eye
Leslie Kress
Sharks! is a fun and engaging book that teaches children a great deal about sharks. This book covers information from shark babies to shark teeth and the facts are presented in an interesting and clear way. The author includes bright and interesting photographs, lots of diagrams, labels and close ups of the pictures. I like that the glossary in the back includes photographs. This is a great book for children because students can learn a lot about sharks, but the book is not too long or boring. I ...more
Jaclyn Tilden
It will have you by it's jaw! I was introduced to this book by the writing series of Luck Calkins. This book has a lot of photos and short passages that make it easy to read. The layout is great for students to references to be able to write there own informational writing. The author still uses big vocabulary but students are still able to comprehend. I also enjoyed how they author talks about all different types of sharks instead about just one specific one.

Brian Perez
this book is a great because it shows how sharks do stuff and how they survive in the ocean they talk about all kind of different sharks it shows all the body parts and how they attack.i lick it because i like sharks cause they do cool things.
Shana Frazin
Perfect mentor text for Nonfiction Chapter Books, an information writing book for first graders that is a part of Heinemann's Units of Study in Opinion, Information and Narrative Writing.
Melynda Moore
What: This book talks about different sharks anatomy, where they live, what they eat, and what they look like. It includes many great real pictures that go perfectly along with the text.
So What: Students must learn about the external characteristics of different organisms and how they use them.
Now What: Students will create their own shark model out of whatever material they use. It can be drawn or made into a 3d model. The model must include the exterior characteristics of the shark and studen
Tom D
Fantastic book about my favourite sea-creature, well worth a read for all those interested in the ocean
Chelsea Kimmey
Guided towards 2-3 graders who are interested in sharks. The pictures add interest to the text
Dilson Abreu
I did not knew all this information about the sharks
Herzon
Mar 11, 2014 Herzon marked it as to-read
I like it
Jen
Just got a set of these National Geographic Readers for my oldest son today through his school book order and they are AWESOME! We started out reading this one first and I couldn't believe how much information was enclosed in this short little book! I learned a lot about sharks as did my son. As always with National Geographic's productions, the pictures were splendid and added so much to the text. I would highly recommend this book/series!
Sheila
This book is an interactive piece of literature. It steps out of the book and asked the reader to participate. I really enjoyed it because of all the valuable information that it reported. It gives information on the fastest, the smallest, and the weirdest looking sharks. With all the information in the book, it goes a step further an gives an assessment at the end which I thought was a great idea and a big help for reading comprehension.
Ubalstecha
This is a great non-fiction book from National Geographic on sharks. Lots of photos and short bursts of information make it great for the struggling reader. It's layout and look make it appealing to the older struggling reader or ESL student. This is a must for a school library.
vampire lover
I read this a long time ago and tottaly forgot all about it. It is a great book if your looking for intertanment. but if you want real information get sharkapedia. look that book up. when you find it see hoow much it really is then compare prices if it is higher then $12.00
Wooden Horse
I enjoy the silly jokes along the top a little too much sometimes. The text is informative and the pictures are pretty graphic. The one on the cover is probably the scariest. There is a similar one with an unfortunate fish but it's not bloody like the cover image.
babyhippoface
General information on sharks and specific details about certain species are accompanied by close-up photographs of the great fish in action. Insets with jokes and word definitions appear frequently. This is a very good choice for elementary libraries.
Amy
This easy to read book about sharks will surely be engaging for students. The photos are appealing while the text is simple, yet informative. This would be great during our food chains and webs unit. Perfect for my below level readers.
Ted Parsons
Kids love sharks and this book was very informational about sharks. This book would be nice to have in a classroom library for students to read independently. It would definintely improve on a student's schema about sharks.
Teri
great text features. even a table of contents. engaging pictures. fun book.
Keith
This is a dope book. It shows all types of sharks, good pictures of their teeth, and shows a one-armed surfer and a surfboard that has a huge bite out of it. Great for kids!
Joanna C
is that the sharks are quik and quiet they have five row of teeth.
If sharks ios a teeth one gro.Thers a sharks that is camaflog it is like ios of roks and light browns
Mr. Coomey teacher
I like it beacase it has sharks and nature thats why i like it. you maybe not like it if you do not like shark!!!!!!!!! but i like it:) :) :) :) :) :)
Jessica P.
Very informative book about all kinds of sharks. Talks about shark attacks at end. For any student who enjoys animals. AR: 3.0,, .5pts.
Alyson
Im curently reading this and its awsome. I liked it and i dont know about you guys but i didnt like it i loved it.
Tricia
Great use of photographs in this level 2 easy reader that provides excellent basic details about these creatures.
Megan Bratton
Great pictures. discusses various types of sharks and their life cycles. Boys in my class would love this!
Kenneth Kinsey
I feel good about this story because the sharks live in the ocean.and shark have 100 teeth in their mouth.
Sandy
This book is good for any kind of children. It talks about sharks and to learn more about sharks.
  • Hungry, Hungry Sharks!
  • Sharks (Fly Guy Presents, #1)
  • Biggest, Strongest, Fastest
  • Here Comes the Garbage Barge!
  • Pinduli
  • Dolphins (National Geographic Readers Series)
  • Bread, Bread, Bread
  • Red Riding Hood
  • Sneetches are Sneetches: Learn About Same and Different
  • Years of Dust
  • Mini Mia and Her Darling Uncle
  • Dolphins! (Step into Reading, Step 3)
  • I Miss You, Stinky Face
  • Twisters and Other Terrible Storms (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #8)
  • Winners Never Quit!
  • The Pumpkin Book
  • Mummies Made in Egypt
  • What's the Big Idea, Ben Franklin?
Twister Trouble (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #5) The Magic School Bus in the Arctic: A Book About Heat: A Book About Heat Penguins! Volcanoes! (National Geographic Kids) Pandas (National Geographic Kids)