Tallchief

Tallchief

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  417 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Morgan Tallchief lives for the art he creates, but even that is haunted by the loss of the only woman he will ever love. When Kathleen Ryder mysteriously re-enters his life, the achingly sweet hunger that bound them together in the past returns as well. A powerful new love story featuring a Native American hero, touches of mysticism and suspense, and heartrending romance.
Published February 24th 1997 by HarperTorch

To ask other readers questions about Tallchief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tallchief

Comanche Moon by Catherine AndersonDancing on Coals by Ellen O'ConnellReclaim My Heart by Donna FasanoSavage Ecstasy by Janelle TaylorComanche Heart by Catherine Anderson
Best Native American Romance
32nd out of 212 books — 230 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenKiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireSlammed by Colleen HooverThe Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski
Cry, Tear-Jerker Romances
222nd out of 560 books — 876 voters

More lists with this book...

Karla

4.5 Stars! I really really enjoyed this!

A little bit of everything! Captivating story about a second chance at love, great characters...I liked all of them, mystery and suspense, some angst, but nothing too crazy. Oh yeah, and Morgan Tallchief *swoon*...he's my kind of guy!
Barks & Bites
Bye bye 5 star review.

Pot Meet Kettle
Saly
Love never dies, is what Tallchief is all about.
Morgan Tallchief is a runner, who has the ability to make it to Olympics when unable to save the girl he loved (Kathleen), he gave it up and joined the navy.

Sixteen years have passed and Morgan has left the military and paints instead but he still remembers, loves and grieves for Kathleen. He has never loved any woman besides her, when in walks the shock of his life, Kathleen, a little older and his daughter.

Kathleen loved Morgan, but her family wa...more
Jacqueline
Very romantic book all the way around. Just what I was looking for after some lighthearted stuff. The emotion continued throughout the book even after the hero figures out that the heroine is still alive. These two fell in love early and never fell out even when separated for years.His love for her was just all consuming. She was still in danger and he was committed to keeping her safe.

The action scenes were very well done. Sometimes, authors make their heroes SEALs and then waste that aspect o...more
Miki
There are some books that are just keepers. Characters that jump off the page into your heart, stories that long to be told. Books that are readable over and over again, that hold one's interest no matter how many times they are read.

Too bad this isn't one of those books.

Stuck fast in the "noble Indian" mold, Tallchief is almost embarrassing to read. I lost count of the steotypical behaviors perpetuated in this morass of bad dialog, silly people and overblown prose. This book is on its way to t...more
Kathleen
Contemporary romantic suspense, first released about 1997. This is the story of a life-long devotion between a Native American (Comanche) and a Caucasian (no ancestry provided). Their love affair begins in high school in small-town Oklahoma, is halted for 16 years, and picks up again in Santa Fé, New Mexico.

NUTSHELL PLOT: Morgan Tallchief is a record-setting sprinter and long-distance runner, a former SEAL, and a world-famous artist. Kathleen Walker is running for her life from Marco Benini's t...more
Lyndi
Another 3.5 stars for Sharon Sala. I can't bring myself to say I really liked it, but three stars just doesn't seem like enough. It's... weird, sorry.

My issue lies, as usual, with the heroine. She was wishy-washy and I don't think she tried hard enough. And she was one of those heroines that lives to deny herself happiness. But she was a good person with endearing qualities, so I liked her the more I read.

Our hero was an odd mix of athlete-warrior-artist, but it somehow worked well for him. I d...more
TJ
4.5/5.0

Oh, I HATE it when you have to round it up or down and neither way fits!!

The romance, angst and relationships in this story are INCREDIBLE!! Heart-wrenching, tear-jerking, sigh-worthy wonderfulness. The suspense was just a little tiny, itty-bit flat.
Neko
I had high hopes for Tallchief, but I found it disappointing. The dialog is lame. The descriptions were overwrought. As an example of the writing style - at one point, the author described the wind blowing a 16 year old character's t-shirt against her "young breasts." Not only is that gross, it added nothing to the scene. In another scene, she describes Morgan's "manhood" as "fully extended." That makes it sound like he has an Inspector Gadget style robo-penis.

Kathleen spent so much time beatin...more
Sandra
Amazing! Not at all what I was expecting, which was a delight. Great hero (and his brothers were pretty awesome), heroine wasn't too bad either, which is a nice change :)

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
I'm not someone who likes an overload of angst in the books I read. For some reason I don't mind it Dinah McCall novels. Actually, I love it in her novels.

Basic plot is this: A Native American teenager Morgan Tallchief, who's also a prodigy when it comes to running track, and his girlfriend Kathleen are in love. One night Tallchief walks Kathleen home and watched her house explode after she goes into it. Tallchief goes into deep mourning and enters the military the next day. Seventeen years lat...more
Frances Botelho
all heroes should be like this man

strong, loyal, brave...that describes Morgan Tallchief...it also describes Kathleen, the girl he believed was killed in an explosion 16 years ago - what a shock when she shows up at his house with her 15 year old daughter who looks just like him, but has her eyes - believable characters, well developed story ...no more secrets between these two
Sara
This one is just not for me. The book starts with a description of faked deaths due to participating in the witness protection program. I'm so sick of that trope. Really, how many people EVER participated in that, unless they were some mobster's family or something? I couldn't get into it at all, and when the characters started getting religious on me, I was over it.
Wyrdness
I generally liked this, but at times Kathleen seriously got on my nerves.

I don't think I have much else to say about this book. It was a good read, I didn't notice too many glaring grammatical mistakes, it generally had a nice pace to things and was easy to keep reading. I'm not sure if I'll ever read it again but I don't regret reading it this once.
Katie Claeys
Haven't been disappointed in a Sharon Sala book yet. This one has happiness and sadness, kept me drawn in Thank you once again Sharon...
Tonya Lucas
One of my favorite!
Pamela(AllHoney)
Morgan Tallchief and Kathleen Ryder fell in love as teenagers but Morgan Tallchief's world is destroyed when Kathleen is killed. Many years later, Kathleen walks back into Tallchief's life with his daughter.

A very heart-wrenching story. Dinah McCall has become somewhat hit and miss with me. I haven't actually hated anything she has written but some of her books barely make 3 stars for me. I think this is one of her better novels and would recommend it to those fans looking for a tearjerker.
Theresa
It started out great...up until "Kathleen" had her freakin' meltdown in the middle of an art gallery...

For someone who is trying to make it out alive, she sure is making it easy to light herself on fire..
Sharon
Excellent contemporary by McCall/Sala. I don't know why I don't pick up more books by Sharon Sala, I really like her writing.
Marilyn
I read this some years ago and I enjoyed just as much this time.
Barbra
Ms McCall knows her Native American history. Good book!
Michele
Very enjoyable one from one of my favorite authors.
Lesli
Typical early Sharon Sala fare.
Erotic Horizon
Tallchief by Sharon Sala (1997)
Pamela
i enjoy EVERY Sharon Sala Book I read!
Nikel27
Good read, bookcrossing book
  • Sweet Baby
  • Beloved Savage
  • Embattled Home (Lost and Found, #3)
  • Sweet Prairie Passion (Savage Destiny, #1)
  • Savage Autumn
  • Cheyenne Song
  • Lakota Love Song
  • Comanche Heart (Comanche, #2)
  • This Time Forever
Dinah McCall is a pseudonym for author Sharon Sala.

It was a job she hated that drove Sharon Sala to put the first page of paper in an old typewriter, but it was the love of the craft that kept her writing. Her first efforts at writing came in 1980 when she began a book that wound up under her bed. A second book followed in 1981 and suffered a similar fate, but she claims the writing bug had bitten...more
More about Dinah McCall...
Jackson Rule Mimosa Grove Storm Warning The Survivors Bloodlines