Mimosa Grove

Mimosa Grove

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  681 ratings  ·  31 reviews
In a place as haunting as it is beautiful, anything can happen...

Laurel Scanlon has the gift of second sight, an ability passed down to the eldest daughter of each generation. It is this gift—or curse, perhaps—that drove her own mother mad and has left Laurel unwilling to trust in love...except in her dreams.

Anxious for a new beginning, she decides to retreat to Mimosa Gro...more
Published April 1st 2004 by Mira

Lyndi
I tend to avoid the "ghosts and voodoo of the bayou" stories because they're usually kitschy and play on stereotypes of bayou culture. But I think Dinah McCall did well with this one. She didn't use the stereotypes I see so often but still gave us some realistic characters that are pretty true to the culture.

Again, no mystery when it came to the threat towards our main characters. But there was a secondary mystery with the ghosts that was really interesting. I was shocked at how that turned out,...more
Saly
Rating 3.5
Decent book. The heroine is psychic but people around her don't accept her and it goes the same for her father, he thinks she will go mad like her mother. Tired of the pretensiousiness around, she leaves DC when she receieves an inheritence from her grandmother who she didn't know well. In her new surroundings she finds acceptence, since people there accept her sight.

She is also shocked to meet Justin, the mystery lover she has been dreaming about for months, Justin has had the same dr...more
Nancy Brady
An atypical romance involving old mysteries and new. Laurel, like her mother and grandmother before her, is a psychic. She "sees" things including a few spirits. She also dreams vividly of a mystery lover. Bringing all these things together happen when she inherits her grandmother's home, Mimosa Grove. Her father is skeptical and unaccepting of her "gift", but is bereft when she leaves Washington for Louisiana. Will Laurel solve the mystery of the diary of her ancestor? Will she find her mystery...more
Jes
This is a typical girlie read, but it was good. Well written and she took the time to actually flush the characters out. It was an easy read, one I could pick up for a minute or two when I had a break.
Padgy
Mar 26, 2011 Padgy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
This was a quick read and a departure from what I have been reading. It was a little far fetched but still enjoyable.
Gina
I thought the book was great! While we already know the answers to the mysteries (kinda knowing one and come to the conclusion that our assumption's right - Chantelle and that bastard husband of hers!), it was still great to watch the characters come together. I truly felt Laurel's heartbreak and despair, I felt how sad and happy she felt when realizing that the people around Mimosa Grove and Bayou Jean accepted her simply for who she was and what she could do. I thought Trigger deserved what he...more
Anita Fleming
Laurel has psychic abilities that have been passed down to the oldest daughter in each generation. Her father, Robert, a federal prosecutor, has no place in his life for a child with this gift. Laurel has inherited her grandmother's home in Bayou Jean, LA and the ghosts that live there too. With her life in DC going nowhere she tells her father goodbye and moves to Mimosa Grove. She is dismayed to find the townspeople know that grandmother Marcella had the gift and outright ask her if she has it...more
Jessica Poole
This book could not be put down. I read the whole thing in just nine hours. I loved it would be a gross understatement. It touched my heart in some places and made me laugh in others. Etching that above all else acceptance in key.
Tracie Petersen
This book was published by the Sci-fi/fantasy offshoot of Harlequin, so I really wasn't expecting much from this book chosen for my book club. However, the book had an actual plot and semi-developed characters. Don't get me wrong, the girl was still the typical beautiful, misunderstood, and totally horny romance heroine, and the guy was the textbook hero that saves the day while also rocking the girl's world. Plot twists were enjoyable (and totally predictable), but at least the story had SOME m...more
Tabatha Wilson
This book got me back into reading again. I enjoyed this book very much.
Tonya Lucas
Awesome book could not put down!
Dee
I really enjoyed " Mimosa Grove" by Dinah McCall! Its a great a mystery ronmance!The main character went home again. Most of the story occured in my home state of Louisanna. I often wished that would happen to me and I could live in one of the old mansions.She is able to see things before they happen . The story kept me on the edge of my seat waiting for what was going to happen next! I could'nt put it down! Awesome read I highly recommend!
Joanne
Laura Scanlon has the gift of sight just as the eldest daughter of each generation had. Her father, who is a federal prosecuter had never believed her mother nor her. Her grandmother passed away and left her Mimosa Grove which still contains unrestfull spirits. Laura has moved to Mimosa Grove but the man that her father is prosecuting has a hitman follow her father there so he can kidnap Laura and then her father will make a deal.
Jaime
This was good for modern romance/supernatural/suspense book. It’s the second of McCall’s I’ve read, and the second with a woman with “the sight”. Is that a trend with her? Anyway, the suspense part was decent, and I even bought into Laurel and Justin’s psychic connection and immediate intimacy.
Geannemarie
Love this book! This started me on my romantic suspense reads. I will forever have gratitude for this book.
Dawn
Nov 06, 2008 Dawn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys Romantic Suspense novels.
Recommended to Dawn by: I read all of Sala/McCall's books.
Another thrilling romantic suspense novel from one of my favorite authors. Sala/McCall's books are always packed with lots of romance & suspense that will leaving you guessing until the end of the book. Her books are always an enjoyable read for me.
Erika
I loved this book. I loved the chemistry between the characters and the suspense. The way the story was written with Laurel and her `sight`and the suspense in those situations kept me reading. I had a hard time putting this book down.
Erin
Well, it is what it is. Romance. Romantic suspense.
Completely predictable, no thinking required and everything wraps up nicely at the end. I didn't hate it. But I won't be reading any more like this.
Shelly
I LOVED THIS BOOKS IT WAS AMAZING!! MY FAVORITE CHARACTERS ARE LAUREL AND JUSTIN THEY DREAM ABOUT EACH OTHER AND THEN FIND EACH OTHER IN REAL LIFE. LOVE DINAH MCCALL BOOKS THEY ARE FANTASTIC TO READ.
Jillie Anne
Loved ! Of Coarse it's a McCall book, her writing is amazing ! Therese Plummer has grown into one of my favorite readers . She brings a book to life!
Sara Gerhold
Dinah McCall/Sharon Sala has never failed to entertain me. She always has twists that are not expected, and I have read all of her books, and keep them!
Michelle
Nice filler book.. meaning when I need something to tide me over between other books.. I tend to read just about anything, including old encylopedes!
I love the deep south, and old plantations. This was an easy read for a car ride, but was really fun, too.
Emma
Nov 08, 2007 Emma rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
this book drove me crazy to keep see an old family name. hahah ya mi brothers name is that same as the guys.
Ira
Sep 26, 2010 Ira added it
What an entertaining novel from start to finish. The book was hard to put down and go to sleep.
Andria
Another good workout read. And totally worth the 50 cents I paid for it at the DI.
Jill
In my opinion, this is not one of McCall's better books. It's still a good summer read.
Terri
Entertaining. Not really the story I expected, but it was a good read.
Bev
it was alright for romantic suspence. Not one of my favorite genres.
Brooke
Aug 03, 2011 Brooke added it
I would recommend this book to anyone.
  • Sweet Baby
Dinah McCall is a pseudonym for author Sharon Sala.

It was a job she hated that drove Sharon Sala to put the first page of paper in an old typewriter, but it was the love of the craft that kept her writing. Her first efforts at writing came in 1980 when she began a book that wound up under her bed. A second book followed in 1981 and suffered a similar fate, but she claims the writing bug had bitten...more
More about Dinah McCall...
Jackson Rule Storm Warning The Survivors Bloodlines Tallchief