Start by marking “Somebody's Gotta Say It” as Want to Read:
Somebody's Gotta Say It

Somebody's Gotta Say It

Neal Boortz, the High Priest of the Church of the Painful Truth, has been edifying, infuriating, and entertaining talk radio audiences for more than three decades. Now, the author of the smash New York Times bestsellers The FairTax Book and FairTax: The Truth returns to gore every sacred cow in the pasture—from the country's rampant civil idiocy and liberal catchphrases li ...more
Published June 17th 2008 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Somebody's Gotta Say It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Somebody's Gotta Say It

Dane Evans
Jun 10, 2012 Dane Evans rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Boortz uses wit, wisdom, an overarching brashness to extol his libertarian views upon his country. I love his voice throughout the book and offers a unique standpoint on things like European relations, drug law, and several other social and economic problems in a well thought out and unapologetic manner. Loved this book.
Jacqueline
Nov 30, 2014 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone!
Recommended to Jacqueline by: Impulse buy
I adore a book that pisses me off in one chapter, revolutionizes my beliefs in a second, and challenges my perceptions in a third. So was the case for Neal Boortz's Somebody's Gotta Say It. Rarely does a book leave me so entertained while simultaneously mixed with an array of emotions. I laughed, I agreed, I thought, I fumed. Additionally, I truly applaud a writer, radio talk show host or otherwise, who can provide new insights into a particular view which is contrary to my initial perspective, ...more
David
Jul 19, 2012 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished listening to the audiobook and I'm debating on what I though about it.

Since Boortz is a talk show host, listening to the book was like listening to him speak on the radio (without commercial interruption). Boortz talks plainly, he is not politically correct and he calls himself an equal opportunity offender, so most likely he will offend the reader at least once or twice.

The material was well prepared. Boortz makes very strong arguments throughout most of the book. I wasn't expec
Angel
Jul 29, 2007 Angel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Neal Boortz is a libertarian radio host. I have not heard his show before, but I found the book to be engaging. I have tried reading other talk radio authors, but usually their books tend to be very loud. In other words, if they are hosts who yell a lot on the show or tend to rudeness, they tend to translate it in the text. Boortz did not seem that way. I just picked the book up from the public library out of curiosity from looking over the cover jacket.

While I don't agree with everything he wr
Mark Holencik
Jul 21, 2015 Mark Holencik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: political
Engaging and thought provoking. I never heard of him before this. He got me to ask questions of myself in such a way that allowed me to look at the man in the glass. Some in-sights into my personal beliefs on our future as a country and the loss of our freedom in exchange for the illusion of security.
Armand
Oct 26, 2013 Armand rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
This is a vanity book by a radio talk show host who describes himself as being in the Bob Grant/Rush Limbaugh/Sean Hannity mold. He pontificates on a large number of topics, and always knows the right answer to every question, because he knows everything. The most irritating thing about this claptrap is the distracting footnotes on almost every page, which increase your knowledge in no way and are never used to back up informational references or facts. They are there merely as a vehicle for the ...more
Heather
Feb 23, 2008 Heather marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather by: gjman, Neal Boortz
Shelves: political, nonfiction
I went to Mr. Boortz's book signing when he was in town. I had never listened to his radio show before. GJMan loves his show, and his friend was able to get him in to a meet-and-greet. He's a different kind of guy, very laid back and loud. We met him and received copies of his book, listened to his speech, and even got to have breakfast with him the next day. He was very nice and went around and talked to everyone in the room, signing our books and taking pictures with us. I have since listened ...more
Chelita Lundell
Apr 12, 2016 Chelita Lundell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Man this was a BOOK! I so wish that more people could GET what is going on around them! Thanks to Mr. Boortz, I am passing it along!
Scott
Boortz is not always right, but he is always entertaining. The talk show host wrote this book about the things that, somebody just had to say.

The book is clever, often funny, and often infuriating as well. While many agree with Boortz's views, this book is not to be enjoyed not because of the views of the author but because of the fresh way that he shares those views.

Chances are you will agree with him, then turn around and yell at him (few books incite this kind of reaction from me) and then ca
Diane Lybbert
Jul 25, 2015 Diane Lybbert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining, and at times challenging, conservative talk-show-host Boortz lays out his opinions on a number of topics. Politics, current affairs, society, sports, music - it's all there. The book was published several years ago, but Boortz' comments are still relevant today - he saw the way some things were headed, and some things have not changed enough yet for his criticisms to be obsolete. Some things I agreed with, some things I laughed about, and some things rubbed me the wrong way. H ...more
Carol
Jul 29, 2009 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is fun and interesting. It was a nice re-introduction to "Neal Boortz," whom I used to listen to about 10 years ago. The book was released in 07',so there isn't any Obama doctrine in it. It mainly speaks about Neal's faveriot radio talk show rant issues and pet peeves: smoking, homo-phobia,voting,the UN... etc.. none at great length, the chapters are all very short and do not include tons of newspaper clippings, Regan quotes and stats. (similar to other conservative books)
Karene
Jun 28, 2009 Karene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book acted as a springboard for me to give some thought and come to my own conclusions about the issues presented in each chapter. Boortz certainly has his own very strong opinions about each issue and in some cases I agreed with him, in others I didn't, and on some I am still undecided. However, what he did well was speak passionately about these topics in a way that made me want to figure what my stand is, and this book was very valuable to me in that respect.
Gretchen
Jun 30, 2007 Gretchen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in politics
I was already a fan of Neal Boortz before I read this book and was sympathetic to many of his views. That being said, I liked this book much better than his radio show because he actually gives a thourough explaination what he believes and why. This is far from an intellectual book, but for anyone with an interest in current events and politics it might be worthwhile. It's sort of a libertarian manifesto that's not too heavy.
Elizabeth
Oct 17, 2008 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with any political opinions
Okay, Wow. I have a mouthful about this book.

First of all, it is moderately offensive.

Secondly, it is very eye-opening, and politically horizon-broadening.

Tons of very interesting points made with excellent arguments.

Many unfortunate points made with a lack of moral intelligence.

I'm rereading it immediately to decide what to research further first.

Definitely worth the money.
Bill Gelwick
Aug 23, 2013 Bill Gelwick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Neal did a great job with this one. It is difficult to get the point across in print similarly to how it is performed on the radio, but he knocked it out if the park. I read this one a couple years ago, an while I differ slightly on defense and how our tax structure should look, the book is a masterpiece. Common sense is the underlying theme, which is a topic I'm quite familiar with.
Jerry
Feb 10, 2009 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who's familiar with Neil Boortz' radio show will find little here of interest, because most of these topics have been discussed frequently on his show. However, this is a good primer on the longest running talk show in the biz! I also find his libertarian ideas refreshing, even though I disagree with him on a number of points. Good "rant" book!
Kent
Aug 22, 2008 Kent rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes politics
grabbed this on sale at Borders - I've known of Boortz and his talk show - listened to him sometimes when driving to my sales calls. This book is a summary of what he thinks, which is straight libertarian, with a stronger dose of conservatism, and definite dislike for the anti-individualism of liberalism.

OK to read, but don't spend a lot of money on it
Jon williams
This book proves Boortz is an elitist. His rants while sometimes true are more often shallow and limited to his own narrow perceptions.

I liked his viewpoints concerning the Fair Tax and was hoping this book would be as well put together but it is not.

Sadly, all I can say is that I will never listen (or read) anything from him again. ;)
Kristen Hill
Sep 26, 2012 Kristen Hill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Well "Somebody's Gotta say it" and Neal did. I have a love/hate relationship with Neal Boortz and most Libertarian philosophies but one thing that you can say about Neal Boortz he is entertaining even if you are yelling at your radio. I listened to the audio book and I recommend it because hearing the author read just makes it better.
Lori
Feb 28, 2016 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Dad bought this book at Dollar Tree, so I'll check it out. There's a reason that this guy has had a longer life than most talk radio hosts. His book is an easy read, because it is written like an on air conversation. Being trained as a lawyer he can present his case well. Not that I agree with everything he says, though.
Margaret
Great read - kind of "in your face" type facts regarding various facets of the society, government, etc. A lot that I completely agreed with and some ideas that were a little more out there. Overall, I really enjoyed it - I'd say you need to be in a "soap boxy" mood to really get a kick out of the book.
Joy
Jan 05, 2008 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Americans
I picked this book up while in Boston. Being in the midst of grand educational institutions, I felt that I needed to go past the fiction section and grab a book that would force me to formulate my own opinions. Though I don't agree always agree with Boortz, I appreciate his explanations and criticisms.
Mark
Nov 22, 2010 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics, biography
Boortz riffs on all aspects of American society from his decidedly right-of-center perspective...thoughtful, concise read...I may not agree 100%, but he does nail some pretty "sacred cows"...published in 2006 it certainly is prescient as to the agenda following the 2008 elections...worth the time!!!
John
Jan 21, 2008 John rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One of the worst books that I have ever read. If my legacy could contain anything of importance, it would be that I convinced someone to not read this book that otherwise would have. Politics aside this a poorly written, weakly argued and at some points factually inaccurate piece of trash.
Dave
Dec 11, 2007 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I would have liked this book a lot better if I wasn't a regular listener of the Neal Boortz Show. Pretty much everything in this book he's discussed many times on the air, so nothing was really new to me. But having said that, I am still a big Boortz fan. Love this guy!
Chris Ross
Dec 02, 2011 Chris Ross rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audio book and I laughed hysterically. This is almost as good as a Dave Barry book. Neal speaks his mind and the truth and I mostly agree with the things he says. The part about super gluing the cigarette butts to the woman's windshield was hysterical.
Stacie
Apr 06, 2009 Stacie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Boortz says a lot of intelligent things, but his manner is somewhat abrasive and his obvious dislike of liberals will turn them off, even if they would agree with his basic message. I don't believe he actually says anything that's really all that radically conservative.
Chayla
I love Neal Boortz. I used to listen to his radio show when I was in college. Neal is who showed me the light of Libertarianism. It's an easy read, he has lots of great ideas- some I disagree with, but for the most part, Neal is preaching to the choir on this one.
Kelley
Jul 01, 2008 Kelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Neal's a Libertarian, and the book is a lot like his radio show. The information was very eye-opening, though he and I disagree on some issues. I checked the book out from the library when it first came out, but then bought it last month when it came out in paperback.
  • The Ten Things You Can't Say in America
  • Outrage: How Liberals, Congress, Unions, Drug Companies, Big Oil, Banks, Lobbyists, Corporations, the United Nations, the World Bank, the INS, the TSA, and the Democratic Party Are Ripping
  • A National Party No More: The Conscience of a Conservative Democrat
  • Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity: Get Out the Shovel -- Why Everything You Know Is Wrong
  • The Enemy Within: Saving America from the Liberal Assault on Our Churches, Schools, and Military
  • See, I Told You So
  • Culture of Corruption: Obama and His Team of Tax Cheats, Crooks, and Cronies
  • 100 People Who Are Screwing Up America: (And Al Franken Is #37)
  • The Conservative Soul: How We Lost It, How to Get It Back
  • The Founders' Second Amendment: Origins of the Right to Bear Arms
  • The Bible of Unspeakable Truths
  • The Case for Democracy: The Power of Freedom to Overcome Tyranny and Terror
  • The Constitution in Exile: How the Federal Government Has Seized Power by Rewriting the Supreme Law of the Land
  • Day of Reckoning: How Hubris, Ideology, and Greed Are Tearing America Apart
  • Surrender Is Not an Option: Defending America at the United Nations
  • Winning the Future: A 21st Century Contract With America
  • Lost Rights: The Destruction of American Liberty
  • Power to the People

“We Americans seem to derive a great deal of pleasure out of punishing those who fail to measure up to our standards of morality and conduct--regardless of whether or not their conduct has any affect on our personal rights to life, liberty, and property.” 4 likes
“Let me tell you something. You win life's lottery when you're born--especially if you're born in the United States, hands down the best place in the world to begin and live your life. You're an American, the envy of people around the globe. From that point on everything else is gravy--and it's all up to you.” 4 likes