Start by marking “The New Spanish Table” as Want to Read:
The New Spanish Table

The New Spanish Table

A comprehensive guide to the art of Spanish cookery introduces a bold collection of 275 recipes, complemented by color photography, for paella, tapas, soups, desserts, and more, along with information on Spanish culinary traditions and ingredients, Spanis
Title: The New Spanish Table
Author: Von Bremzen, Anya/ Goldman, Susan (PHT)
Publisher: Workman Pub Co
Publication Date: 20
Published November 7th 2005 by Workman Publishing Company (first published November 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The New Spanish Table, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Spanish Table

Andrea
Aug 20, 2007 Andrea rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: foodies
Shelves: cookbooks
The first book we tested in our fledgling Cookbook Club. The idea is that several foodie friends get together and cook recipes all from the same cookbook. In this way you find out whether or not you want the book, get an idea of which recipes are mind-blowing, extend your palette and your cooking ability, get together with friends, and have a very merry time.The greatest thing about the cookbook club is that warm, proud feeling as you finish your dish: I made that?

This cookbook club meeting rev
Valerie
Jul 25, 2012 Valerie rated it really liked it

A terrific cookbook read. However, I have yet to make anything out of this book--and I don't know why. The food sounds great... and yet... the book exerts a certain pressure to make Great Food. And truthfully, some of the best sounding recipes are a lot of work, suited to a long wintry afternoon. So perhaps soon I'll try one.
(update: have made several dishes from the book, and the recipes are excellent. Her inventive but not silly combinations of sweet and savory are worth studying, as they are
Lori
Jul 01, 2011 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: petprojects
This cookbook has received little attention from me over the last few years. But this summer/fall I've given it another look. Not everything requires jamon serrano and there are certainly locavore substitutes available. (Thank you, Virginia Ham!)

Anyway, here's what I've dabbled with: Bell pepper coca, Spring ragout of artichokes, fava beans and ham; Rosemary scented apple tart (yummmm! but eat quickly); Grandma's of Sils apple yogurt cake (divine!); Cherry and beet gazpacho; Strawberry and fenn
Gerry
Jan 23, 2008 Gerry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
great thus far, i need to get saffron and a paella pan. making the garbanzo soup this weekened....

OK, I made that soup. Its superb. Next up is a paella and probably the pear and blue cheese tart. This book is the most comprehensive guide to spanish cuisine i could have imagined, having origins of food, variances by region, best method tips, etc...

Alot of the recipes do require multiple ingredients and some devoted time, but if you're looking to spend some time in the kitchen on the weekend, thi
Sara
Jan 15, 2010 Sara rated it it was amazing
A beautiful cookbook with great Spanish recipes. This is a great cookbook for anyone intersted in learning Spanish cooking. The recipes are broken into courses as well as animal, vegetable, mineral so to speak. The author gives background on the recipes as well as the regions where they come from in Spain. The recipes are easy to follow and foolproof. The author gives easy substitutions for hard to find Spanish ingredients as well as shortcuts. Fabulous book!
Krister Swartz
Jun 07, 2013 Krister Swartz rated it liked it
I'm still dipping into this book, but I don't have it by my side at all times now so I am going to call it read. Great overview of Spanish cooking, with some welcome unusual takes on traditional dishes. Many of the recipes were "unfinished," I felt, as in they need to be made a few times to get the kinks out, but I find that in a number of otherwise great cookbooks.
Jessica
Feb 04, 2009 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook, spain
This is a wonderful cookbook with recipes that work very well. Impress your friends and family with a true empanada (or so the Spaniards claim), with a rich dough that is equally pleasing to make as it is to eat.
Molly
Apr 03, 2008 Molly rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much. Some of the recipes were familiar, others not so much. By far, my favorite dish (that I've tried so far) is the Blue Cheese and Pear tart...it tastes great and looks beautiful!
patty
May 23, 2014 patty rated it liked it
Ran out of time with this one -- only one "experiment." To be continued on a new checkout, later, as I have a few Penelope Casas books to dive into right now.
Jodi
Jun 05, 2014 Jodi rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
This is a fun cookbook, but I don't know how much of it I can use now that I know I shouldn't eat Nightshades (tomatoes, potatoes, peppers (and spices), eggplants, etc).
Kathy Peveler
Nov 17, 2011 Kathy Peveler rated it it was amazing
You will want to make everything.
Leah
Jun 30, 2009 Leah rated it it was amazing
This is THE BEST Spanish cookbook...I've been having a delightful time playing around with the soups (chilly early summer). Now that it's heating up, on to the salads and tapas...
Anna
Jul 20, 2009 Anna rated it liked it
Beautiful photos...haven't cooked much from this book, though,....it isn't really practical for everyday cooking...
Annie
Jun 03, 2011 Annie added it
Yes -- I like to read cookbooks. Then plan all the fantastic dinners I can now make!

Tapas are wonderful. This books allows for a journey across Spain with food -- it does not disappoint.
Jennifer Fetterly
Dec 21, 2008 Jennifer Fetterly rated it really liked it
I picked up this book hoping it would help me recreate some of the dishes I ate while traveling in Spain. The book is big and beautiful which is part cookbook, part travelogue.
Kelly
Jan 07, 2008 Kelly rated it really liked it
Guests loved the chicken pie!
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2010
Andrea
Andrea rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2015
Vince Lisle
Vince Lisle rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Melissa Smith
Melissa Smith rated it it was ok
Mar 25, 2015
Samantha Marshall
Samantha Marshall rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2009
Pam Carter Harris
Pam Carter Harris rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2014
Peter
Peter rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2016
Evelyn Wool
Evelyn Wool rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Boyce Sherwin
Boyce Sherwin rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Tessa
Tessa rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2014
Nick Rabkin
Nick Rabkin rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2015
Escroston
Escroston rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2010
Atomzero
Atomzero rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2012
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Foods and Wines of Spain
  • The Food of Morocco
  • Arabesque: A Taste of Morocco, Turkey, and Lebanon
  • The Soul of a New Cuisine: A Discovery of the Foods and Flavors of Africa
  • Canal House Cooks Every Day
  • All About Roasting: A New Approach to a Classic Art
  • The Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook: Stories and Recipes for Southerners and Would-be Southerners
  • Mastering the Art of Chinese Cooking
  • New Food of Life: Ancient Persian & Modern Iranian Cooking & Ceremonies
  • The Barbecue! Bible
  • Land of Plenty: A Treasury of Authentic Sichuan Cooking
  • The Essential Cuisines of Mexico: Revised and updated throughout, with more than 30 new recipes.
  • The Vegetable Dishes I Can't Live Without
  • Thai Food
  • Madhur Jaffrey Indian Cooking
  • Cradle of Flavor: Home Cooking from the Spice Islands of Indonesia, Singapore, and Malaysia
  • Washoku: Recipes from the Japanese Home Kitchen
  • A Mediterranean Feast: The Story Of The Birth Of The Celebrated Cuisines Of The Mediterranean, From The Merchants Of Venice To The Barbary Corsairs, With More Than 500 Recip
Anya von Bremzen is one of the most accomplished food writers of her generation: the winner of three James Beard awards; a contributing editor at Travel + Leisure magazine; and the author of five acclaimed cookbooks. She also contributes regularly to Food & Wine and Saveur and has written for The New Yorker, Departures, and the Los Angeles Times. She divides her time between New York City and ...more
More about Anya von Bremzen...