The New Spanish Table

The New Spanish Table

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Welcome to the world's most exciting foodscape, Spain, with its vibrant marriage of rustic traditions, Mediterranean palate, and endlessly inventive cooks. The New Spanish Table lavishes with sexy tapas —Crisp Potatoes with Spicy Tomato Sauce, Goat Cheese-Stuffed Pequillo Peppers. Heralds a gazpacho revolution—try the luscious, neon pink combination of cherry, tomato, and...more
Published November 7th 2005 by Workman Publishing Company (first published November 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The New Spanish Table, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Spanish Table

Baking by Dorie GreenspanFeast by Nigella LawsonCooking by James PetersonThe River Cottage Meat Book by Hugh Fearnley-WhittingstallThe Country Cooking of France by Anne Willan
James Beard Award Cookbooks2
56th out of 98 books — 15 voters
My Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna OthitisThe New Book of Middle Eastern Food by Claudia RodenEssentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella HazanSundays at Moosewood Restaurant by Carolyn B. MitchellAll Around the World Cookbook by Sheila Lukins
Best Ethnic Cookbooks
85th out of 179 books — 95 voters

More lists with this book...

Andrea
Aug 20, 2007 Andrea rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: foodies
Shelves: cookbooks
The first book we tested in our fledgling Cookbook Club. The idea is that several foodie friends get together and cook recipes all from the same cookbook. In this way you find out whether or not you want the book, get an idea of which recipes are mind-blowing, extend your palette and your cooking ability, get together with friends, and have a very merry time.The greatest thing about the cookbook club is that warm, proud feeling as you finish your dish: I made that?

This cookbook club meeting rev...more
Valerie

A terrific cookbook read. However, I have yet to make anything out of this book--and I don't know why. The food sounds great... and yet... the book exerts a certain pressure to make Great Food. And truthfully, some of the best sounding recipes are a lot of work, suited to a long wintry afternoon. So perhaps soon I'll try one.
(update: have made several dishes from the book, and the recipes are excellent. Her inventive but not silly combinations of sweet and savory are worth studying, as they are...more
Lori
This cookbook has received little attention from me over the last few years. But this summer/fall I've given it another look. Not everything requires jamon serrano and there are certainly locavore substitutes available. (Thank you, Virginia Ham!)

Anyway, here's what I've dabbled with: Bell pepper coca, Spring ragout of artichokes, fava beans and ham; Rosemary scented apple tart (yummmm! but eat quickly); Grandma's of Sils apple yogurt cake (divine!); Cherry and beet gazpacho; Strawberry and fenn...more
Gerry
great thus far, i need to get saffron and a paella pan. making the garbanzo soup this weekened....

OK, I made that soup. Its superb. Next up is a paella and probably the pear and blue cheese tart. This book is the most comprehensive guide to spanish cuisine i could have imagined, having origins of food, variances by region, best method tips, etc...

Alot of the recipes do require multiple ingredients and some devoted time, but if you're looking to spend some time in the kitchen on the weekend, thi...more
Sara
A beautiful cookbook with great Spanish recipes. This is a great cookbook for anyone intersted in learning Spanish cooking. The recipes are broken into courses as well as animal, vegetable, mineral so to speak. The author gives background on the recipes as well as the regions where they come from in Spain. The recipes are easy to follow and foolproof. The author gives easy substitutions for hard to find Spanish ingredients as well as shortcuts. Fabulous book!
Krister Swartz
I'm still dipping into this book, but I don't have it by my side at all times now so I am going to call it read. Great overview of Spanish cooking, with some welcome unusual takes on traditional dishes. Many of the recipes were "unfinished," I felt, as in they need to be made a few times to get the kinks out, but I find that in a number of otherwise great cookbooks.
patty
Ran out of time with this one -- only one "experiment." To be continued on a new checkout, later, as I have a few Penelope Casas books to dive into right now.
Jessica
This is a wonderful cookbook with recipes that work very well. Impress your friends and family with a true empanada (or so the Spaniards claim), with a rich dough that is equally pleasing to make as it is to eat.
Molly
I enjoyed this book very much. Some of the recipes were familiar, others not so much. By far, my favorite dish (that I've tried so far) is the Blue Cheese and Pear tart...it tastes great and looks beautiful!
Annie
Jun 10, 2011 Annie added it
Yes -- I like to read cookbooks. Then plan all the fantastic dinners I can now make!

Tapas are wonderful. This books allows for a journey across Spain with food -- it does not disappoint.
Leah
This is THE BEST Spanish cookbook...I've been having a delightful time playing around with the soups (chilly early summer). Now that it's heating up, on to the salads and tapas...
Jennifer Fetterly
I picked up this book hoping it would help me recreate some of the dishes I ate while traveling in Spain. The book is big and beautiful which is part cookbook, part travelogue.
Jodi
This is a fun cookbook, but I don't know how much of it I can use now that I know I shouldn't eat Nightshades (tomatoes, potatoes, peppers (and spices), eggplants, etc).
Anna
Beautiful photos...haven't cooked much from this book, though,....it isn't really practical for everyday cooking...
Whitaker
A really great book shows us how everything is great and worth to die for
Ian
Not only a great cookbook, but an insight to Spanish culture
Kathy Peveler
You will want to make everything.
Kelly
Guests loved the chicken pie!
Mallory
Mallory marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Kristy
Kristy is currently reading it
Aug 14, 2014
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Anya von Bremzen is one of the most accomplished food writers of her generation: the winner of three James Beard awards; a contributing editor at Travel + Leisure magazine; and the author of five acclaimed cookbooks. She also contributes regularly to Food & Wine and Saveur and has written for The New Yorker, Departures, and the Los Angeles Times. She divides her time between New York City and...more
More about Anya Von Bremzen...
Mastering the Art of Soviet Cooking: A Memoir of Food and Longing Please to the Table: The Russian Cookbook Terrific Pacific Cookbook The Greatest Dishes!: Around the World in 80 Recipes Fiesta!: A Celebration of Latin Hospitality