Start by marking “Secrets of the Shopping Mall” as Want to Read:
Secrets of the Shopping Mall

Secrets of the Shopping Mall

Trying to escape the vicious King Kobra gang andtroubled life at home, eighth graders Barnie and Teresa flee the city. With only four dollarsbetween them, they hop a bus, hoping to find a new lifeat the end of the line. Destination: ParadisePark. But Paradise Park turns out to be acement-covered suburban shopping mall--not quite the paradisethey had hoped for.
With no money
Published October 15th 1980 by Laurel Leaf (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of the Shopping Mall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets of the Shopping Mall

Tatiana
oh man, another random jogged memory. what's great is that i read the description of this book and it didn't ring a bell at all. maybe because i don't remember how they got to the mall, but i remember them at the mall. and the mannequins. and the mannequin war with the skater punks. crazy. not as artsy as the mixed up files, but hey, who didn't wander around a store or mall when they were little and figure out how they could live there. no? when you walked into banks did you take note of the sec ...more
Lisa
Feb 19, 2012 Lisa rated it liked it
I took a YA writing class recently, and one of the other students mentioned that this had been her favorite book as a teen. Maybe that got my hopes up too high, but I really wanted to like this book more than I did.

I love the premise of two kids running away from home to live in a shopping mall (I think every kid has dreamed of doing that at some point), and the cover image on my old paperback copy (two grayish mannequins about to pounce on unsuspecting kids) is wonderfully creepy, but the stor
Karin
Aug 18, 2008 Karin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 10-15 yr olds
My brother and I were always allowed to choose our own reading.....a nosy neighbor who used to look after us in the evenings got her hands on this. Took it to my mom and tried to get me in trouble for reading books "inappropriate" for my age. (I think I was about 11 or 12). Story is about two pre-teen kids who escape their inner city lives and leave their gang ridden school to go and live in the mall. I guess neighbor lady felt they weren't good role models, being drop-outs and all. This was a G ...more
Therese
Nov 03, 2011 Therese rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
These unloved kids run away to live in a shopping mall (apparently before they used wire grates to cover the individual stores at night and before security cameras. And guards...apparently). Haven't you ever wondered what it would be like? Turns out really cool, but not what you'd expect. Also, you're not alone.
Inas
Aug 21, 2015 Inas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book lying around my house a few months ago and I thought I'd make it less lonely and add it to my bookshelf keeping in mind that I would eventually get to it in the future but still it didn't seem like it fitted with the type of books that I usually read and enjoy and also the synopsis didn't really strike me as very interesting and so I never thought about picking it up.
However, recently, I made a TBR jar of all the books that I have on my bookshelf and that I haven't read yet and
J.M.
Jul 23, 2009 J.M. rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This was a favorite of mine as a child, and I just reread it for probably the fourth or fifth time. The story is about two loners, Teresa and Barnie, who forge an unlikely friendship when they find themselves the target of a bully's rage. Afraid of retribution, they hop on a bus and run away, only to end up at a local shopping mall. The two decide to hide in a fancy department store after the mall closes and spend the night sneaking around, eating out of the deli area, and avoiding the night wat ...more
Kerith
Oct 02, 2010 Kerith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
Of all the authors I've met, Richard Peck is the only one I personally disliked. I remember reading this book as a kid. Two middle schoolers run away and live at the shopping mall -- a fairly interesting scenario I guess -- some of the pop culture references date it (Battlestar Galactica is mentioned, and it's not the recent version!) and it is not a hopeful story. Reading it as an adult I can see Richard Peck's lovely attitudes toward schools and the people who work for them shining through, ha ...more
Maya Rock
Jul 19, 2007 Maya Rock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like finishing off with a book I actually like, SECRETS OF THE SHOPPING MALL.

In this book two teenagers who are total losers, run away and live in the mall. One of them pretends she works in the mall. I forget what the other one does. Anyway they get in conflicts with a whole teenage gang that also lives in the mall. In the end, they achieve victory and the best part is they KEEP IMPERSONATING THESE PEOPLE (the boy I remember now impersonates an exec's son) AND STAY IN THE MALL.

Celeste
Jun 22, 2016 Celeste rated it liked it
Shelves: teen, youth
Melanie
Aug 03, 2007 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood
As a child, my favorite genre was Kids Getting Up To Mischief In Places Where Kids Probably Should Not Be: children in museums/libraries/shopping malls overnight, runnin' around and causin' trouble, occasionally encountering easily-solved mysteries. (See also: From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler and Help! I'm a Prisoner in the Library.)
Trina
Sep 04, 2014 Trina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not the best Peck book, but with a title like that, I was interested. I think it was an extension of a short story he wrote, in which a short boy and a tall girl make friends and run away from home to get away from a gang, only to live in a shopping mall where an uptown gang lives indoors and a no-as-uptown gang lives outside the mall and they come to a clash.
Kressel Housman
Not my favorite Richard Peck book, but a great concept. Two runaway teens make a home for themselves in the shopping mall, blending in with the shoppers by day and hiding out from the security guards at night. Then they discover that they're not the only ones. . .

As I said, it's not my favorite Richard Peck, but there's a delicious Luna-like character in it!
Sep 11, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
I've read this book over & over because the story is so vivid yet unrealistic. I had it until probably 2006, when I sold 3/4ths of my books. Ultimate urban fantasy with great characters. Good for kids 4th grade plus. Crystal was my favorite secondary character.
Michael Lawing
Aug 11, 2014 Michael Lawing rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: found-at-work
I saw the cover of the 1979 Dell printing and had to read it. It looked campy, and didn't reflect the real plot.

The book is definitely not the greatest plot, but presents a unique take on both the survival-in-a-mall and kids-as-adults genres.
Magda
May 24, 2013 Magda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, own, adventure
Peck is amusing and strange as ever, with a little thought-provokingness included, but not too much to make this more than a light read. The middle was a bit surreal.
Courtney
Jun 18, 2008 Courtney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books from my early teen years.
I still imagine scenes from it most times I'm in the mall.
Jessica
Apr 20, 2013 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the title of this book is called secrets of the shopping mall . the author is by richard peck. the cons/ challenges of this book is beause they had to struggle so much to get out of king kobra gang and the troubles in they home and to get out of paradise park so they can be free.
this book is very special beause is talks about children leaving her really home and they go to another place that itsn't home . the pro/likes is 5 out of 5.
plot is Trying to escape the vicious King Kobra gang and troubl
Mark Holtzclaw
Mar 24, 2014 Mark Holtzclaw rated it really liked it
Ever since watching the original "Dawn of the Dead", I've often wondered what it would be like to be trapped in a shopping mall. This book explores that theme through the genius of Richard Peck.
Tam (Mystereity Reviews)
Nostalgia read; I originally read this about 30 years ago and was enthralled. Very dated now, but still a fun book to revisit.
Suzanne
Mar 10, 2015 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading down the list I never got to when I was a kid. This was MESSED UP.
Sharon Buxton
D. YA, fiction, contemporary, runaways, strange, Mom's stash, discard
Kat  Hooper
Loved this when I was 12. Haven't read it since I was 12.
Marna
May 10, 2016 Marna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bizarre little slice of a bygone era. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Allison
Oct 03, 2011 Allison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book back when I was an early teen & loved it. I still read it again from time to time. Probably not easy to find anymore but worth looking for if you enjoy YA books. This is a book that will stay in my rotation. It's been over 5 years since my last read (it was in my attic) so I will have to update again after my next read!
Rebecca
May 21, 2008 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
This was an odd book about two outsider kids who run away from home to try to survive in the mall. They soon discover that the mannequins come alive at night and hold meetings. Eventually there is a war between the mannequin gang ang the skater kids in the parking lot. Weird but well written. I enjoyed it alot as a kid.
Chris
Apr 21, 2015 Chris rated it it was amazing
On my list of top ten favorite kid books. I really should actually create this list instead of filing it in my mind. There's probably about 30 books on it. Anyhow, an awesome fantasy rooted in reality and it's still fresh today. Am gratified my 11 year old read and loved it.
Noah L
Nov 14, 2011 Noah L rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was interesting. It turns in to kids running away trying to get somewhere where they are alone but in the end it turns out they are not even close to being alone. Well I wouldnt want to spoil the story for you so go ahead and read it yourself.
Holly
Nov 22, 2012 Holly rated it it was amazing
This is a nice and creepy book because they live in the mall and they have to live off what they can find. I liked this book because it was suspenseful and creepy and funny at the same time. I normally don't like creepy books, but this book is good.
Stephanie A.
Jan 08, 2013 Stephanie A. rated it liked it
Who among us hasn't had a childhood fantasy of living in the mall? It's a microcosm of the world, you can find all your needs there!

Caution: this book's subtitle should read "How to Make Mannequins Even Creepier."
Jetgirl8
One of my favorite books growing up! I was so excited to find out that I wasn't the only one who remembers this little gem! Thanks to this book though, I'm still wary of mannequins...;)
like wiz of oz-retail wealth is happiness 2 4 Mar 15, 2013 06:04AM
  • Taking Terri Mueller
  • Dear Lovey Hart, I Am Desperate
  • Losing Joe's Place
  • Friends for Life (Friends, #1)
  • Can You Sue Your Parents for Malpractice?
  • Beat the Turtle Drum
  • Light a Single Candle
  • The Grounding of Group 6
  • How I Broke Up With Ernie
  • It's OK If You Don't Love Me
  • Twins: Dead Ringers
  • Sooner or Later
  • The Against Taffy Sinclair Club (Taffy Sinclair, #1)
  • Lizard Music
  • A Room Made of Windows
  • The Zombie Always Knocks Twice (Hollyweird, #1)
  • Mama, Let's Dance
  • Loving (Caitlin: Love Trilogy, #1)
Richard Peck is an American novelist known for his prolific contributions to modern young adult literature. He was awarded the Newbery Medal in 2001 for his novel A Year Down Yonder.

Richard Peck was born in 1934 in Decatur, Illinois, a town he describes as quiet and safe. His mother, Virginia, was a dietitian and his father, Wayne, was a merchant who often rode his Harley Davidson to work.

Richard
More about Richard Peck...