Start by marking “Cabinet of Natural Curiosities (The Colored Plates 1734-1765)” as Want to Read:
Cabinet of Natural Curiosities (The Colored Plates 1734-1765)

Cabinet of Natural Curiosities (The Colored Plates 1734-1765)

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  1,238 ratings  ·  36 reviews
From the dust jacket: Albertus Seba's ''Cabinet of Natural Curiosities'' is one of the 18th century's greates natural-history achievements and remains one of the most prized natural-history books of all time. Though it was common for me of his profession to collect natural specimens for research purposes, Amsterdam-based pharmacist Albertus Seba (1665-1736) had a passion t ...more
Published September 1st 2006 by Taschen (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Cabinet of Natural Curiosities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cabinet of Natural Curiosities

Douglas Dalrymple
So many of the pathologies of contemporary life come in through the eyes. It’s only a matter of time before the vile sickness of “screen-gaze” gets a more scientific-sounding name. This gorgeous, almost wordless book is the cure.
Torgo
A year ago I picked up a copy of The Codex Seraphinianus, and I can conclusively say that it's the most treasured book I own, possibly the most significant OBJECT that I own. This review isn't about that book, so I won't discuss it further, apart from mentioning that that book changed my life.

I have since been searching for something similar and I stumbled across this item. It's not similar, in fact it's nothing like The Codex. But it's a wonderful book. I have the gigantic heavy hardcover editi
Julie
Ok no real reading involved. But this is my favorite coffee table book. Bought for me by my husband for a screaming deal at a San Diego library book sale. One could spend hours pouring over the colour plates of all creatures on earth. If you find a copy, don't hesitate to open it.
Powells.com
Taschen has always published heavy, lush art books, but they've outdone themselves with Cabinet of Natural Curiosities (weighing in at thirteen pounds). Albertus Seba, a pharmacist in eighteenth-century Amsterdam, collected beautiful and strange animals, plants, and insects. After years of collecting, he commissioned illustrators for each specimen. This book is a reproduction of the eighteenth-century four-volume set. These amazing illustrations are works of art, but beware — small children migh ...more
Jayme
One of those rare completely awesome and completely random finds at a really cool bookstore (Lucky Comics). This is reproduction of Albertus Seba's specimen drawings. It weighs about 15 pounds and is written in French, English and German, just in case I'm feeling particularly trilingual on any given day. There's no words for how kick ass the illustrations are. This will sit loud and proud on my coffee table for infinite perusing.
dthaase
This book is nothing less than something at which one marvels. I happened across it in the oversized section of my library and every thing about it is huge: it's vision, it's scope, and it's actual size (which weighs in at 11.9 pounds).

Here's the product description off of Amazon:
Albertus Seba's curious creatures: a most unusual collection of natural specimens Albertus Seba's Cabinet of Natural Curiosities is one of the 18th century's greatest natural history achievements and remains one of the
David Lynn
Oct 22, 2007 David Lynn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone with eyeballs
Creative, Inventive, amazing Albertus Seba will have you thinking that every Dutch person coming out of the 18th century was brillian...
Hands down one of the most amazing things I have in my library, life.
Its spendy but if you have a library near you that has this or are fortunate enough to live near the strand i can say how quickly you should go and take a look at this.

i could go on and on but if you want to read what Taschen (one of the better companies out there who produced this book and did
Cecelia
I work at Barnes & Noble, and was walking through the bargain section when I saw this book. I'm astonished that so many people have paid close to $200 for this! I paid around twenty, with my discount. It was only $25.00 originally. I think it may be a slightly different version, meant for B&N only, but the content is exactly the same. The only thing I've noticed to be different is the picture on the cover. There are two coral as opposed to one.

Anyway, I was drawn to it because the artwor
Wolf
a fabulous go to for someone like me as an artist. i gain inspiration from this book all the time. it isn't a book to read. it is a book to find a dream and a memory and become thrilled.
Sarah Crampton
This is a great addition for a collector of hefty coffee table books or anybody fascinated by the Victorians' scientific proclivity to categorize, rank and classify just about everything in the natural world. The book boasts excellent illustrations, not to mention a stature large and heavy enough for braining home intruders. You can't lose.
melissa seley
dying to own a copy of this coffeetable beauty, than an a bunch of audobon society guides - to birds, trees, shells, mammals, sea creatures on and on till there are none left. been putting them on xmas lists since i was six. somehow, no one else gets how great it would be to unwrap one. sigh.
Renée
Ok so I don't actually own this monsterous marvel....yet! (hint, hint) ...However I think I've pretty much looked at every page while passing through various shops and bookstores since I discovered it. So beautiful and inspiring, it should be free!
noelle
Nov 29, 2012 noelle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
guys, you know what happened yesterday? i found this at the thrift store. the 30lb, 18" version. the one that's a loooooot of money. at the thrift store. for $4. four. dollars.
This is one of the best gifts I've ever received; Each page of this book is exquisite. The perfect accompaniment to a lazy weekend day.
Bonnie Jeanne
Jan 25, 2009 Bonnie Jeanne marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: collecting
Cabinet of Natural Curiosities: The Complete Plates in Colour, 1734-1765 by Irmgard Musch (2005)
Sarah Keliher
Jan 07, 2011 Sarah Keliher is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I just hauled this beautiful thing home with me. I love being a bookseller
Lindsay
Amazing Illustrations! I love old illustrations like the ones in this book.
rebecca
not so much "read" as "ooohed and ahhhhed and petted the pages"
Arian
Some of the most amazing natural history illustrations in this book.
Philip
The kind of artifact they'll need to pry from my cold dead hands.
PMP
Favourtie plate: Fictive metamorphosis of American frogs into fish.
Photo Jenny
Beeyooteeful! My tattoo is from this book.
Jean
Absolutely gorgeous. Stirs the imagination.
Ken-ichi
Mar 27, 2009 Ken-ichi marked it as on-hold
Shelves: learning, snoot
Found a slightly coffee-stained copy for $18!
Steve
This thing will make your ass catch on fire.
Matt Keefe
Beautiful, strange, and ancient.
L a n c e
the only coffee table book you want.
Amca
this is the bible I needed.
Tiffa

• The Mütter Museum: Of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia
  • Darger: The Henry Darger Collection at the American Folk Art Museum
  • Amano: The Complete Prints
  • The Architect's Brother
Albertus Seba (May 12, 1665, Etzel near Friedeburg - May 2, 1736, Amsterdam) was a Dutch pharmacist, zoologist and collector.

Born in East-Frisia, Seba moved to Amsterdam as an apprentice and opened around 1700 a pharmacy near the harbour. Seba asked sailors and ship surgeons to bring exotic plants and animal products he could use for preparing drugs. Seba also started to collect snakes, birds, ins
More about Albertus Seba...
Natural Curiosities 14 Framable Prints From the Cabinet of Albertus Seba Butterflies & Insects Shells & Corals Seba's Snakes and Lizards: 240 Illustrations Sea Creatures CD-ROM and Book