Profoundly Disturbing

Profoundly Disturbing

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  14 reviews
From the murky depths can come the most extraordinary things. . . ." Profoundly Disturbing "examines the underground cult movies that have--unexpectedly and unintentionally-- revolutionized the way that all movies would be made. Called "exploitation films" because they often exploit our most primal fears and desires, these overlooked movies pioneered new cinematographic te...more
Paperback
Published May 1st 2003 by Plexus Publishing (UK)

Rebecca Brock
I can't really review this book with any kind of unbiased opinion, because...I was Joe Bob's Researcher! (that sounded like it should be the title of a B-movie, so read it in your head as such).

Yep, 'tis true. Check out the thank you's at the bottom of the page and you'll see my name right there in black and white. It's funny, because no one ever thinks about the person who provides all the raw material for the author...and let me just tell you this, you have not worked your ass off until you've...more
Darcy
More Joe Bloom than Joe Bob (although he is there) in a thoughtful analysis of films that shook people up at the time of release. Primary sources are used as much as possible, punctuated with fine insights. Fantastic bibliography.

Good stuff, if you know what I mean (and I think you do).
Craig Williams
I've always had a passionate love of movies, made all the more so in my childhood by watching shows like Up All Night with Gilbert Godfrey and Monster Vision with Joe Bob Briggs. Sure, neither shows were in the habit of featuring Oscar worthy movies, but they did show movies with plenty of gore, violence, and busty, scantily clad women, which suited my adolescent tastes just fine.

Anyway, what I loved about Monster Vision was that it was hosted by a friendly, witty, salt-of-the-Earth dude named...more
Jennie
Exquisitely researched and brilliantly written - this book is a win all the way around. I love Joe Bob Briggs as an author. However, I knocked off one full star for this egregious error that made my librarian brain melt. In regards to Quentin Tarantino's name: "Connie was reading The Sound and the Fury at the time, and named her son after Quentin Compson, Faulkner's deaf-and-dumb innocent whose sense of beauty can only be expressed to himself." Um no, Mr. Briggs - that would be Benjy. Quentin, f...more
Kevin Mellor
When it comes to horror, exploitation, and drive-in movies, Joe Bob Briggs always knows what he's talking about. Each chapter is devoted to a different movie-- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Blood Feast, The Creature From the Black Lagoon, Reservoir Dogs, Deep Throat, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari-- 20 chapters total. He tells you how each movie got made, what kind of controversy it stirred up when it came out, and what it's lasting effect has been on American culture.

This isn't some dry textbook; J...more
Damond
A terrific book detailing the stories behind several films that are/were socially disturbing. I really enjoyed that it detailed films that aren't normally covered by your traditional film history books. Briggs has done his research and he knows his stuff. He really goes all out to explain each choice and what makes that film so significant. If you want a film history book that makes you think and could even change your opinion on specific films or even whole genres, this is your book. For exampl...more
Robert
Joe Bob Briggs reins in the redneck persona and exposes more of the film critic, John Bloom, in PROFOUNDLY DISTURBING... but then 'John Bloom' wouldn't have moved as many books as "Joe Bob Briggs". Here, he goes in for a more detailed look at the films that 'changed history', such as BLOOD FEAST, THE WILD BUNCH, THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, DEEP THROAT, among others.

The persona and jokey tone of the previous collections of reviews are gone or sublimated, but the film buff knowledge comes right u...more
Bryce Wilson
There's probably a special place in cineaste hell reserved for me for the sin of enjoying Joe Bob Briggs much more then sacred cows like Pauline Kael and J. Hoberman. Brigg's conversational prose, and good ol' boy style belie a deep knowledge of film history, a thoughtful and deep method, and most importantly a genuine affection for what he writes about that's largely absent from the work of most of today's professional critics.

It's fantastic to read the likes of Hershel Gordan Lewis written ab...more
Cole
Jul 04, 2008 Cole rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: gorehounds, perverts, and other cinephiles
i miss the drive-in. i miss the redskin, the vaska, and the 82nd twin (the theater haunts of my childhood). i miss being surprised and i miss being scared. sometimes i feel like movies are the only thing worth a damn. if you love the movies (and going to the movies, two different things entirely) then read this.

A fine companion to Joe Bob's Profoundly Erotic (actually, this one came first). The one bad effect this book had on me is that I'm really dying to see Mom and Dad but probably never will. Oh, well.
Heather Domin
I really, really enjoyed this book. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because I wish it had an afterword to match the introduction.
Jesse Hebert
"...Changed History?" Not by a long shot. Not most of 'em, at any rate. Entertaining enough.
Rick
It will take me 100 years to watch all the movies mentioned in this book, but I will give it a try.
Kevin
excellent "genre" book for movie fans
Niklas Parkå
Niklas Parkå marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
noelle
noelle marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Marko Popovic
Marko Popovic marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Igor Stanojević
Igor Stanojević marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Maja
Maja marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Erika
Erika added it
Jun 17, 2014
Sam Sanchez
Sam Sanchez marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Anissa
Anissa marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Moomuk
Moomuk marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Joe Bob Goes To the Drive-In Iron Joe Bob Profoundly Erotic: Sexy Movies That Changed History The Cosmic Wisdom of Joe Bob Briggs A Guide to Western Civilization or My Story