Dungeon Master's Guide (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Core Rulebook)

Dungeon Master's Guide (Dungeons & Dragons)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,099 ratings  ·  15 reviews
This is the complete guide to being an AD&D game Dungeon Master. Whether you're running a single adventure or masterminding a complete fantasy campaign, the Dungeon Master's Guide is an absolute necessity. The 2nd Edition Dungeon Master's Guide puts all the information you need right at your fingertips - in a fresh, new format, fully indexed for your convenience. Here...more
Hardcover, Second Edition, 192 pages
Published June 5th 1989 by TSR (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Dungeon Master's Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dungeon Master's Guide

David Sarkies
Not as useful as some claim it to be
18 January 2013

It looks as if a number of people agree with me with regards to this book in that the only use it has is for the magic items table. Some suggest that a DM should not leave home without it, but in a way, if you have enough imagination, you need not even leave the shop with it (having paid for it of course, because I would never condone shoplifting).
Personally, I believe that it is the Players Handbook that is the heart and soul of the Dungeons...more
David
The don't-run-a-session-without-it DMG, at least, until you're entirely familiar with its contents. As with the PHB, I read this from cover-to-cover too. The role-playing and world-building stuff could've been much more, so the book ended up as mostly being used for the treasure tables once you're familiar with most of the rules clarifications in here. Four stars for continuing and improving on D&D, -1 star for not improving on the RP aspect.
David
Ah 2nd Edition D&D: a marginal upgrade to the previous edition, at best. Points off for failing to advance the genre in the decade since the development of 1st ed. In the meanwhile, that torch would have to be carried in the late 80s and early 90s by the rise of White Wolf, FASA, and others.

And this, the worst of the 3 primary manuals. What use there was for this book, other than the magic items section, is beyond me now.
Mike (the Paladin)
I'm going 5 stars here, because I really, really enjoy AD&D and Second edition was my favorite edition. I could go int "rules differences" here, but unless you played (or play) you probably aren't that curious as to "why" I like this version of a game reputed to be "ultra geeky"... It's just fun.

So, while I've played a lot of electronic RPGs, let me endorse the table top variety.
Gabe
Much like the trusty twenty sided die, no dungeon master should leave home without it. Beyond the Red Dragon Cover lies the heart and soul of D&D. Only the eyes of the DM are well prepared enough to handle the magic in all of its glory. If you are not a DM...... BEWARE!!!
Judah The Omnipotent
I think this is one of the best games I've ever played, and this book is really well written. Dungeons and Dragons is the kind of game that really requires deep thought. I recommend it to anyone who has ever thought "Hey, this game is great and all, but how can I take control?".
Victor Merling
I actually read it from cover to cover.
I remember it being a lot more about giving a lot of cool ideas to the Dungeon Master, than actually being something you had to know in order to play AD&D.
Paul
with the Player's Handbook laying the ground work for AD&D 2nd ed, the Dungeon Master's guide expands on and introduces more options available to players and DM's
Mark Goldie
The Dungeon Master's Guide (Advanced Dungeon and Dragons 2nd Edition Hardcover Rulebook) by TSR Staff (1989)
Cimuchowski
Could have had more info. on handling groups, organization and world design.
Nika
Look very familiar. I so gotta play again.
Will Oprisko
I love Second Edition!
Dylan
Rating based on usefulness.
Paul
Mar 25, 2008 Paul rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Learn it. Love it. Live it.
Michael Larsen
Michael Larsen marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
  • Monstrous Manual
  • The Complete Thief's Handbook (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition, Player's Handbook Rules Supplement/PHBR2)
  • Monster Manual
  • The Complete Wizard's Handbook
  • Arms & Equipment Guide (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, 2nd Edition, Dungeon Master's Guide Rules Supplement/DMGR3)
  • Forgotten Realms Adventures
  • Advanced Dungeons and Dragons: Fiend Folio
  • Deities & Demigods: Cyclopedia of Gods and Heroes from Myth and Legend
  • Monster Manual (Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition)
  • Dungeons and Dragons Basic Rules
  • The Forgotten Realms: Campaign Set
  • Dungeon Master's Guide (Dungeons & Dragons v.3.5)
  • Player's Handbook (Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition)
  • Monster Manual II (Dungeons & Dragons d20 3.0 Fantasy Roleplaying Supplement)
  • Dragonlance Adventures
David "Zeb" Cook is an American game designer best known for his work at TSR, Inc., where he was employed for over fifteen years. Cook grew up on a farm in Iowa where his father worked as a farmer and a college professor. In junior high school, Cook playing wargames such as Avalon Hill's Blitzkrieg and Afrika Korps. "I was primarily a wargamer, but there wasn't any role-playing available then," al...more
More about David Zeb Cook...
Player's Handbook (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Core Rulebook) Horselords (Forgotten Realms: Empires, #1) Soldiers of Ice (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #7) Tome of Magic (Advanced Dungeon & Dragons: Accessory Rulebook) Planescape Campaign Setting