Start by marking “On Looking: Essays” as Want to Read:
On Looking: Essays

On Looking: Essays

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  244 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews

“Purpura is the real deal, and so is every successive sentence in this collection. A cornucopiac vocabulary is married to a strict economy of expression; an offbeat curiosity is married to the courage of difficult witnessing. . . .”—Albert Goldbarth

“Purpura's prose is a system of delicate shocks—leaps and connections and syncopated revelations, all in the service of the

Published August 1st 2006 by Sarabande Books

To ask other readers questions about On Looking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Looking

Carolyn Jacobson
This book got me thinking a lot about fragments, since almost all of the essay consist of fragments. In some essays, each paragraph is set apart; in others, several paragraphs serve as subsections. Is this a cop-out? I can't tell. I use fragments a lot, too, and often it's a cop-out on my part--a way to avoid thinking through the connections between things. I know it's there somewhere, but it's easier just to leave both things hovering next to each other and let the listeners work it out themsel ...more
Astall
Sep 02, 2010 Astall rated it liked it
The language is almost (no: is) irritating in its consciously beautiful construction. Which does not negate the fact that it is beautiful, but does diminish my pleasure.

Makes me wonder whether there is a point at which self-awareness becomes a detriment. As a narrative strategy, definitely.

Nevertheless, I don't mean to speak much harshly about this book. The essays are (mostly) woven delicately, and bring the world to sharp focus around Purpura's shifting center within observation of it.

Not li
Heather
Sep 02, 2013 Heather rated it liked it
Purpura’s collection of essays revolves around the theme of seeing things in a new way. It’s about perception, awareness. She looks at various things. Dead bodies. Vulnerability. Deformities. Patterns. Color. Space. Objects. A fox, briefly. A small woman and others on display. Reaction to a killer on the loose. Things framed in a window, and dying. Ruins. Deposition. A rooftop view. A snake. Praise. A dead horsefly. Things you don’t want to see. And as she looks closely at these things, inviting ...more
Chelsea
Oct 09, 2014 Chelsea rated it it was amazing
Lia Purpura's collection of lyrical essays, On Looking, is compelling in its attention to how we view the world and how we internalize that sight, that observation. In the first essay, "Autopsy Report," we are immediately swallowed into Purpura's uncanny ability to make something as desperate as viewing a group of cadavers into something surprising and beautiful. In many ways, this first essay prepares us for the rest of the collection. Most poignantly when she writes, "If looking, though, is a ...more
Jamie Grefe
Mar 25, 2013 Jamie Grefe rated it it was amazing
It's not enough to say that Lia Purpura's work holds influence over my own, that her essays are like perfect windows or mirrors held up to the sky. No. My words are not enough.
Vincent Scarpa
Mar 22, 2014 Vincent Scarpa rated it really liked it
I really like what the back cover has to say (surprisingly) about Purpura. She is indeed "writer-as-telescope, kaleidoscope, microscope, and mirror." It is a pleasure simply to revel in her language, which is so alive and moving. And though there are a few moments here and there that, to me, feel a bit thin in terms of meaning-making, the observations throughout which deeply moved me or troubled me far outweighed those that missed the mark. Purpura's musings on aestheticism, on freak shows, on w ...more
Kristin
Sep 01, 2010 Kristin rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love.
Andi
May 21, 2007 Andi rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone one but especially writers
Sometimes I read books and think - dog-gone-it, I was thinking the same thing; I should have written that down before she did. Sometimes I read books and think - wow, I never would have thought of that. Today, when I finished Lia Purpura's On Looking I thought - Whew! I thought of some of those things, but boy am I glad she wrote them down instead of me.

Purpura's grasp of observation is stunning - she notices the way animals are beautifully crushed by cars, how plastic grocery bags caught on a
Jessie
Apr 02, 2013 Jessie rated it really liked it
Today I am made a little different in my vision by this book, scrambling to prepare to discuss the second half with my students. Purpura gets too elusive and cerebral for me at times and I frown while reading, thinking she’s trying to force the emotion of a juxtaposition on us, but then… something does open… I am moved -- kind of moved to a different place and I wonder, Now how did that happen when I was so often getting frustrated by the overwrought or self-conscious sentences? Mysterious. Type ...more
Glenn
Dec 18, 2007 Glenn rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
Lia Purpura’s “On Looking” is a book that defies categorization. In it, she puts forth daring ideas, suggests, questions, prods, brings things out to be examined, examines them with depth, both in language and emotion, and transfigures her observations into vivid and vibrant prose--real, earthy poetry, without a hint of stale poetic form in sight. Lia has an ability to be with the chaos of language, without striving too hard to control it, and thus, her writing travels effortlessly to rare, unpr ...more
Josephine Ensign
Jun 10, 2015 Josephine Ensign rated it liked it
Of the eighteen essays in this collection, I only liked two: "Autopsy Report" and "The Space Between." The other essays felt too contrived somehow. I've also read her more recent collection of essays, Rough Likeness, and felt they were much stronger. I do like how she is pushing the boundaries of the 'open' or new-form (or whatever people wish to call it) essay.
Elizabeth Rogers
Feb 20, 2015 Elizabeth Rogers rated it it was amazing
This is a great collection of short stories! The stories are realistic and relatable, which I personally enjoyed. "Sugar Eggs: A Reverie" was my favorite story in this collection!
Tamra
Feb 19, 2014 Tamra rated it it was amazing
I didn't want it to end, so each day, I would allow myself to read only one essay. Actually, I don't think it would have been possible for me to read more than one each day. Each one is so rich, so beautiful, that it needs a lot of space around it.
Micaelyn
Dec 23, 2014 Micaelyn rated it really liked it
This is a truly astounding collection of brilliant essays - thoroughly enjoyed this one.
Tina Schumann
Dec 29, 2011 Tina Schumann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-pause
Picked up a copy at AWP and I cannot put it down. The essay titled "Autopsy Report" alone makes it worth picking up. Purpura has a unique eye and an investigators perspective on the world. Her curiosity is infectious, but it is really her brilliant use of language, her route to expression that keeps me hooked; lyrical, experimental, at times surreal, but she always brings you back to concrete human bounds and the things of this world that make us human. She's a rare bird. I hope she's working on ...more
lia
Nov 08, 2007 lia rated it really liked it
Essays about looking at things, what more would I like than that? Quiet and dreamy, unattached and perhaps even detached--the ability to look at things that are hard to look at, and still appreciate the beauty and mystery that surrounds us. Sometimes, it feels a little too poetic and somehow, too 'written' if that makes any sense, but I think it may just be that this book should be read in small doses, and not all in one bite. Not for those who would be upset reading about dead people & anim ...more
Christine
Appreciate this writer's obsessive attention to "looking" and angles of sight. "The Smallest Woman in the World" sticks in my mind, as was the case, obviously, for the author.
Rae
Mar 19, 2011 Rae rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Startling and gorgeous on so many levels. What's that word for already missing what you know will one day part? That's the way she looks at the body, her newborn child, the melting ice, the process of art-making--always seeing the past dissolving into the future and vice-versa. These lyric essays are like long prose poems, but the lyrical quality doesn't lull. To be enjoyed on a long, slow rainy day.
Kristina
Nov 09, 2007 Kristina rated it it was amazing
The lyrical language in this book is stunning. I want to keep reading it again and again. "Coming To See" is my favorite of the essays, though that is hard to say because I love them all. "Coming To See" is written in subtitled sections and I am fascinated by this form. How do writers pull this off? And Purpura does it seamlessly...somehow...
Lia
Jan 15, 2012 Lia rated it it was amazing
Perhaps the most talented writer I have ever encountered. "On Looking" is a book of Purpura's lyric essays. All meditate on the act of observing. Never have I loved sentences so much. For example, take this sentence from the essay 'Autopsy Report': "His ribs like steppes, ice-shelves, sandstone." Just pure poetic genius.
Julie
Jun 01, 2009 Julie rated it it was amazing
One of the most beautifully and profoundly written collections I've encountered. The use and repetition of images and language is lovely; the voice makes you want to sit up and sigh, just so that you can tell yourself you saw the air leave your lungs.
Colleen
Feb 18, 2009 Colleen rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, thesis
Lush and intense, gorgeously written -- questions form, the relationship between seeing and looking, between writer and observer/object of observation, between looking and language. A bit too dense to digest all in one sitting -- pace yourself.
Holly
Jan 18, 2014 Holly added it
Shelves: 2011-reads
Nice. Proems. The middle-distance. A lesson in lushness, and also in spareness (that's the poetry). Using sensual and accurate imagery to capture (and set loose) what we sense around us and inside us.
Erin
Jan 03, 2013 Erin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry-poetics
Purpura's book takes time to read, but it's worth the effort. Her essays often read as extended prose poems, a quality I love and admire. Her essays delve into the nature of sight and memory.
Janie
May 29, 2008 Janie rated it it was amazing
Bridgett
Oct 31, 2013 Bridgett rated it it was amazing
Shelves: essays, non-fiction
I have been reading this book for two years now. How is that possible? I needed perfect quiet to read these essays, to savor every word, to reread and reread and reread. And then it rained.
Liz Scheid
Jan 31, 2009 Liz Scheid rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favs
An absolutely beautiful book what it means to "see"--Purpura looks at multiple subjects from multiple perspectives. Purpura is a gifted writer. I've read this book three times.
David Griffith
Jan 09, 2009 David Griffith rated it really liked it
Purpura is in a league of her own. I put her up there with Ander Monson and Greg Bottoms as writer who is doing interesting things with the essay form.
John Medeiros
Jun 27, 2012 John Medeiros rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books ever. I've used thus to make sense of my own world; I've used this with my students. I want to read everything Lia Purpura writes!
Nancy Nordenson
All the essays in this collection are beautiful, but one not-to-miss essay is "Glaciology."
  • Neck Deep and Other Predicaments: Essays
  • Plainwater: Essays and Poetry
  • Safekeeping: Some True Stories from a Life
  • The Most of It
  • I Just Lately Started Buying Wings: Missives from the Other Side of Silence
  • The Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Writing Flash Nonfiction: Advice and Essential Exercises from Respected Writers, Editors, and Teachers
  • The Best American Essays 2009
  • Lying: A Metaphorical Memoir
Lia Purpura (born February 22, 1964, Mineola, New York) is an American poet, writer and educator.

(from Wikipedia)
More about Lia Purpura...

“Song I try to make the step-down call of the chickadee, but do it too insistently, over and over so it loses sense, the air going equally out and back, not slower in the opening, then quickening as the tight hinge retracts, but absolutely evenly, too even, the way one breathes and regulates breath for a doctor, to present the body’s equanimity. There’s a bird in a tree with a hinge in its throat, a door opening to let the sweet air pass from a high, thin place down a notch. There’s phlox out there, opening between one black and another black, hanging branch of an apple tree—the very tree that holds the bird that bends the air so parenthetically around itself, and its song around anything listening.” 1 likes