Start by marking “Man Ray: American Artist” as Want to Read:
Man Ray: American Artist

Man Ray: American Artist

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Portraying one of the most inventive and inspirational artists of recent times, this book provides a panoramic view of the art and literary worlds of New York and Paris in the 20th century. 65 photos.
Published October 19th 1988 by Clarkson Potter (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Man Ray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Man Ray

Tosh
Jan 17, 2008 Tosh rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in 20th Century art
As far as I know the first straight ahead biography on the artist and portrait photographer Man Ray. A fascinating figure who just had a taste for what was happening in the avant-garde art world - and went for it. Became a very close friend of Marcel Duchamp, and Man Ray also documented his artwork as well as other artist's works as well. Plus photographed all the great personalities of that period.

In my opinion he's not as consistant as Duchamp with respect to his art, but nevertheless a very
Thombeau
As satisfyingly in-depth a bio of the legendary Man Ray as one could hope for. Thoughtfully written and thoroughly researched, this is definitely recommended for fans of the artist and his era.
Ben
I got this book from my dad who somehow knows the author. I used this book as a catalyst to write a paper on his work.
Shanar Speid
Shanar Speid marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Robert Seitz
Robert Seitz is currently reading it
Nov 06, 2014
Joke Cardinael
Joke Cardinael marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Ghazaleh Shamie
Ghazaleh Shamie marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
bossanova
bossanova marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Josh
Josh added it
Nov 12, 2013
Lis
Lis marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2013
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2013
Tim Thelen
Tim Thelen marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2013
Jared
Jared marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Edison Inventing the Century Henry Ford and the Jews: The Mass Production Of Hate The Book That Changed My Life: Interviews with National Book Award Winners and Finalists Legends of the Plumed Serpent: Biography of a Mexican God The American Revelation: Ten Ideals That Shaped Our Country from the Puritans to the Cold War