Start by marking “The Friendly Beasts” as Want to Read:
The Friendly Beasts

The Friendly Beasts

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  135 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
"The simple strains of this old Christmas melody are superbly reflected in the graceful, delicate, yet strong images that dePaola brings to the page....A Christmas remembrance to be long treasured." -- Booklist (starred review)"Beautiful." -- The Horn Book"Meticulous attention has been paid to every detail of design, color, and layout." -- School Library Journal
Published October 5th 1998 by Puffin Books (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Friendly Beasts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Friendly Beasts

Becky B
Tomie de Paola provides illustrations to accompany the text of this very old Christmas carol. The music is also provided in the back of the book.

A nice simple Christmas nativity-ish book for little ones. I have mixed feelings about the setting de Paola chose. He seems to have placed the nativity in Renaissance period Italy. It fits the rest of de Paola's work, but doesn't really fit the historical setting of the carol. Kids should still like the animal illustrations that are the main focus of th
Samantha Meyer
Summary:
The Friendly Beasts is the simple traditional English Christmas Carol about the first Christmas beautifully illustrated by Tomie dePaola. The carol depicts all the animals and their roles in helping Jesus on the night of his birth.
Critique:
This carol is very beautiful and gives a different point of view to the well known story as it is told from the perspective of the animals and how they felt on the first Christmas. The rhymes are simple but meaningful. They are very easy to understand
Magpie67
Cute book... wish I knew what the melody was for the words, but the illustrations were delightful as the animals gathered around baby Jesus. A perfect title to read to little ones on Christmas Eve.
Ivan
Apr 22, 2014 Ivan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty pictures of the night the animals talked - one of my favorite Christmas stories/myths/legends.
Elijah Libert
Nov 25, 2015 Elijah Libert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book because it is funny that a song is in a picture book.
Patricia
Jan 22, 2014 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE this Christmas carol! To have it set to illustrations by Tomie dePaola is a wonderful treat!
Jul 02, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
The illustrations for this book were fantastic. The characters had this certain sweetness about them that perfectly matched the Christmas carol. I had never heard of this song before and was glad that it was featured in this book. I would probably recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Jezreel
This poem is a smooth Christmas carol that kids enjoy because music is involved in this poem. The poem retells a Christmas story with different animals hat are included in this poem such as a cow and a cat. These animals are all part of Jesus birth in this poem. The story will be interesting to kids and song is a very peaceful song for them to learn
Samary Morales
This book is a song poem, which is great for children. It a great way for children to learn and read poems. The poem retells the Christmas story of the animals who where there when Jesus was born. The birth of Jesus is created through the eyes of these stable animals---a donkey, a dove, a cow, a sheep, and a camel.
Doreen
Dec 02, 2010 Doreen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE...because it's dePaola!
Tomie dePaola's illustrations are truly magical. The people's faces are adoring and pure. Their garments drape beautifully; colorful and rustic. These simple old verses are made even more special using dePaola's wonderful artwork!
Carla Miller
Perfect for the younger child especially if they are familiar with the song. Nice addition to our Advent story time.
Bonnie Pohlig
Cute pictures although I'm not that crazy about the way he illustrates his people. Lends itself to reverence, which I like.
Teri
Dec 26, 2011 Teri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
This is an old English carol and would be a fun sing-along if I knew the carol. But since we don't. . .
EA
Dec 10, 2012 EA rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, christmas
One of the good ones- rustic and reverent- a good thought about a familiar tale.
Ellen Ramsey
Dec 04, 2011 Ellen Ramsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gentle and friendly illustrations for this Old English Christmas Tale.
Dec 17, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
One of my favorite Christmas carols, beautifully illustrated by Tomie DePaola.
Rachel
Aug 17, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite carol with great pictures
Margaret
Dec 10, 2012 Margaret rated it really liked it
Recommended to Margaret by: Memoria Press Junior Kindergarten
TBW
Jessica Romick
Jessica Romick marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Virginia Burnham
Virginia Burnham rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2016
Ed
Ed marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Grace Hampton
Grace Hampton marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Karen Hoehne
Karen Hoehne rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2016
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Bob Wu
Bob Wu is currently reading it
May 22, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Nathaniel Marsh
Nathaniel Marsh rated it really liked it
May 08, 2016
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
  • Snow
  • Santa's Favorite Story
  • The Little Fir Tree
  • The Quilt Story
  • The Dolls' Christmas (Tasha Tudor Collection)
  • Christmas Tapestry
  • Carmine: A Little More Red
  • Christmas Alphabet
  • The Carpenter's Gift: A Christmas Tale about the Rockefeller Center Tree
  • Night Tree
Tomie dePaola (pronounced Tommy da-POW-la) is best known for his books for children.
He's been published for 40 years and has written and/or illustrated over 200 books, including 26 Fairmount Avenue, Strega Nona, and Meet the Barkers.
Tomie dePaola and his work have been recognized with the Caldecott Honor Award, the Newbery Honor Award and the New Hampshire Governor's Arts Award of Living Treasure.
More about Tomie dePaola...