Start by marking “Four Friends in Autumn” as Want to Read:
Four Friends in Autumn
Preview

Four Friends in Autumn

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  17 reviews
It's a beautiful fall day -- perfect for dinner with friends. But will it ever be time to eat?
It's autumn!
The air is cool and crisp, and the leaves have changed to bright golds and reds.
Mistress Pig wants to celebrate her favorite season by cooking a big feast for her friends.
Mister Frog, Missy Cat, and Master Dog can't wait to taste all the delicious food. But why
Published September 1st 2004 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published August 24th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Four Friends in Autumn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Friends in Autumn

midnightfaerie
Tomie dePaola is quickly becoming a household favorite. He's a little lengthy for my preschoolers, however, my 5 yr old loves him. dePaola is educational and enjoyable to read. The illustrations have a unique style all their own that even I enjoy while reading. This one was about ….. A great educational read for any child.
Susan
It was a cute story. Very easy read.
Patricia
I'm just not such a fan of these Four Friends. In this story, the four friends get together for dinner, but Mistress Pig has an eating disorder and so, after several hours of waiting for their dinner, the four friends decide to go to a restaurant.

I think the three friends should have convened an intervention instead.
Judy
The humour reminds me of James Marshall. Absurdly flawed character and forgiving friends. Very sweet. Illustration lovely as always.
Marissa Garcia
Simple, humorous. DePaola strikes again.
Saharatos
Four friends in Autumn was first printed in Four Stories for Four Seasons. It is mostly the same except for the last line in the story that was added on. The pictures are larger than in the other book and it is great for reading just one short story. Children k-4 will enjoy reading the story. The story shows how to be a wonderful and caring friend.
Snorkle
This is a fun little story. I did not envision it ending quite like it did, but the twist was comical and suited the story. I did like the illustrations a lot, they were sweet and endearing. I would recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Matthew Hunter
Wow, this one hits a wall at the end. Talk about an abrupt (but funny) ending! Otherwise, the drawings are cute, and the book has an overall sweet, old-timey feel. It wouldn't seem out-of-place on a bookshelf in the 1950s. Betsy, Tacy and Tib would like this one, I think.
Dolly
Nov 10, 2008 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2008, childrens
An interesting story, with colorful illustrations and words only on every other page. Our girls enjoyed the story, but it felt like there were pages missing, dialogue that should've occured, but didn't and so the story felt too short, too disjointed.
S.K.
It started off on a good note...the suspense! Oh my.

But the jump from Mistress Pig in her home to the new location was too much for me and the ending just dropped. That's it? I flipped the last couple pages...what did I miss?
R. C.
I love dePaola, but I'm not sure I saw the point of this one. Silly and random and not much to do with the season.
Teri
Oct 27, 2012 Teri rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: fall
Really not at all about fall--blah. Tomie dePaola is usually wonderful. Wonder what happened with this book?
Bree
My biggest complaint is that it just ends. Even the kids felt like I just stopped in mid-sentence.
Tammy
This one literally made me laugh out loud. :)
Finny
Mommy says: A little disjointed.
Angie
This is just too boring.
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Marlena
Marlena marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Elanor
Elanor added it
Feb 21, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Rachael Teel
Rachael Teel marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Julie
Julie added it
Nov 26, 2014
A.
A. marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Tomie dePaola (pronounced Tommy da-POW-la) is best known for his books for children.
He's been published for 40 years and has written and/or illustrated over 200 books, including 26 Fairmount Avenue, Strega Nona, and Meet the Barkers.
Tomie dePaola and his work have been recognized with the Caldecott Honor Award, the Newbery Honor Award and the New Hampshire Governor's Arts Award of Living Treasure.
More about Tomie dePaola...
Strega Nona The Legend of the Bluebonnet The Legend of the Indian Paintbrush The Art Lesson Nana Upstairs and Nana Downstairs