Mermaid Dance

Mermaid Dance

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  21 reviews
As the sun sets on the ocean, the sky turns pink, then purple, the spring becomes the summer, and a celebration begins. Mermaids arrive, ready to greet the new season by playing, feasting, and dancing in the high tide.
Mark Jones' pastel illustrations capture an enchanting and mysterious world sure to delight the imagination of all readers.
Published April 22nd 2009 by Blue Apple Books

To ask other readers questions about Mermaid Dance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mermaid Dance

Tina
mermaids, ocean, beach, solstice, celebration, summer
Allison
Mermaid=WIN
CatholicBibliophagist
I checked this out to read to my 7 year old niece as a treat after our reading lesson. (I've been tutoring her since the beginning of last summer.)

A group of mermaids gather in a cove, spread out a sea food feast on some large rocks, and dance to celebrate the summer solstice. the pictures are very nice, but I found the text to be rather bland and uninspiring. There's no real story. Why did I check out a book like this? Well, to be honest, I work in a library, and I snagged it when I was checki...more
Bonnie (A Backwards Story)
The illustrations in MERMAID DANCE are colorful and fun. I bought this one because I like being able to picture how mermaids might have a picnic and what they might do. I also love the cover, which showcases two different styles of mermaid tails. This book inspires me when I want to write about mermaids.

The story is short and easy to follow, so even younger children will be enraptured by the tale of frolicking mermaids. They have so much fun throughout the story and I wish I could dive into the...more
Joyce
Jul 28, 2009 Joyce rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children under age 10
Shelves: children
I purchased Mermaid Dance because it was written by a classmate of mine but am so glad I did; it's a wonderful story and beautifully illustrated. Later I gave it to a little cousin for her 5th birthday and she told me the other day it is her "mostest favoritest book!" I'll buy it again because I really love this book. Well-written and thoughtfully composed, Marjorie created a magical memory. Highly recommended for bedtime.
The Library Lady
This is a pretty-pretty book about mermaids. It edges on the saccharine and just manages to miss it.

If your home/library is stocked full of Disney Ariel books, you might not need this. But in my library, where the only "Little Mermaid" books I keep are the non-Disney, REAL versions with the REAL (unhappy) ending
this will be a godsend.

And compared to the Disney slop, this is an absolute work of literary art.
Linda Branich
This is a beautifully illustrated and cleverly written children's book about mermaids gathering to celebrate the summer solstice.
Meg
Pretty illustrations (I appreciated the multiracial mermaids!). Sweet narrative but not much of a storyline. (Basically some mermaids have a feast and dance under the full moon to celebrate the summer solstice.) My daughter liked it quite a bit and it was nice to have a summer solstice story to read her.
Ina
Beautifully illustrated this book tells the tale of mermaids throwing a party to celebrate the summer solstice. One by one all the colorful mermaids arrive on a rock, carrying baskets filled with food and decorations as they await the high tide that the solstice moon brings. A beautiful book.
Eve
Jun 24, 2012 Eve rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mariam
How perfect that we got this book and read it on the summer solstice! It is more atmospheric than anything as we watch mermaids surface and get ready for a celebration. Watch for the little clue at the end that shows young readers that it all really happened. Four stars.
Susan
As a fan of all things mermaid, this book is a hit if for nothing else then the idea of a mermaid solstice celebration picnic. My inner Ariel was pleased.
Kris
Sparkly and sweet as cotton candy, this will fit the bill when little girls ask me for a mermaid book.
Jessica
A must for any little girl obsessed with mermaids (like my 3yo). The pictures are gorgeous!
Teri
Another perfect "girl" book--that can be used to tie into the summer solstice.
Domini
This was one of my favorites. One to keep in mind for summer solstice.
Jacqueline
Cute art, with a nice story. It was a little hard to turn the pages though.
Angie
I thought pictures were very beautiful and the colors were just eye catching
Olson Family Matters
Just not our style - a story of mermaids celebrating summer solstice.
Tanya W
Definitely a very girly book with wonderful illustrations.
Lia
A very fun book. My niece looooooved it!
Michelle
Jul 12, 2011 Michelle added it
Shelves: story-en
J P HAK
Analissa
Analissa marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Liza
Liza marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Jisha
Jisha added it
May 20, 2014
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014