Start by marking “Mermaid Dance” as Want to Read:
Mermaid Dance

Mermaid Dance

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  67 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
As the sun sets on the ocean, the sky turns pink, then purple, the spring becomes the summer, and a celebration begins. Mermaids arrive, ready to greet the new season by playing, feasting, and dancing in the high tide.
Mark Jones' pastel illustrations capture an enchanting and mysterious world sure to delight the imagination of all readers.
Published April 22nd 2009 by Blue Apple Books

To ask other readers questions about Mermaid Dance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mermaid Dance

Tina Bartholoma
Dec 15, 2010 Tina Bartholoma rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
mermaids, ocean, beach, solstice, celebration, summer
Allison
May 28, 2015 Jill rated it liked it
CatholicBibliophagist
Nov 27, 2012 CatholicBibliophagist rated it it was ok
Shelves: kid-lit, 2012
I checked this out to read to my 7 year old niece as a treat after our reading lesson. (I've been tutoring her since the beginning of last summer.)

A group of mermaids gather in a cove, spread out a sea food feast on some large rocks, and dance to celebrate the summer solstice. the pictures are very nice, but I found the text to be rather bland and uninspiring. There's no real story. Why did I check out a book like this? Well, to be honest, I work in a library, and I snagged it when I was checki
Melissa
Apr 12, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it
Wasn't sure my boys would go for the mermaid book, but they were engaged in the story of the summer solstice and we really had fun once the feast was served. My little one loved following the gold mermaid from page to page and my oldest was engaged in the tiny details added on each page.
Bonnie (A Backwards Story)
The illustrations in MERMAID DANCE are colorful and fun. I bought this one because I like being able to picture how mermaids might have a picnic and what they might do. I also love the cover, which showcases two different styles of mermaid tails. This book inspires me when I want to write about mermaids.

The story is short and easy to follow, so even younger children will be enraptured by the tale of frolicking mermaids. They have so much fun throughout the story and I wish I could dive into the
Joyce
Jul 28, 2009 Joyce rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children under age 10
Shelves: children
I purchased Mermaid Dance because it was written by a classmate of mine but am so glad I did; it's a wonderful story and beautifully illustrated. Later I gave it to a little cousin for her 5th birthday and she told me the other day it is her "mostest favoritest book!" I'll buy it again because I really love this book. Well-written and thoughtfully composed, Marjorie created a magical memory. Highly recommended for bedtime.
The Library Lady
Aug 26, 2009 The Library Lady rated it liked it
This is a pretty-pretty book about mermaids. It edges on the saccharine and just manages to miss it.

If your home/library is stocked full of Disney Ariel books, you might not need this. But in my library, where the only "Little Mermaid" books I keep are the non-Disney, REAL versions with the REAL (unhappy) ending
this will be a godsend.

And compared to the Disney slop, this is an absolute work of literary art.
Linda Branich
Aug 16, 2014 Linda Branich rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
This is a beautifully illustrated and cleverly written children's book about mermaids gathering to celebrate the summer solstice.
Elaine Shipley-pope
Jul 02, 2015 Elaine Shipley-pope rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-children-s
Mermaid dance is a cute little story about a group of mermaids setting up a gathering when the tide is low. My three year old daughter really enjoyed this book, specifically the decorations and all the other things the mermaids bring to the beach. Over all a cute story that anyone who enjoys a good mermaid tale will like.
Meg
Jun 28, 2013 Meg rated it liked it
Pretty illustrations (I appreciated the multiracial mermaids!). Sweet narrative but not much of a storyline. (Basically some mermaids have a feast and dance under the full moon to celebrate the summer solstice.) My daughter liked it quite a bit and it was nice to have a summer solstice story to read her.
Ina
Aug 07, 2013 Ina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
Beautifully illustrated this book tells the tale of mermaids throwing a party to celebrate the summer solstice. One by one all the colorful mermaids arrive on a rock, carrying baskets filled with food and decorations as they await the high tide that the solstice moon brings. A beautiful book.
Eve
Jun 24, 2012 Eve rated it really liked it
Shelves: mariam
How perfect that we got this book and read it on the summer solstice! It is more atmospheric than anything as we watch mermaids surface and get ready for a celebration. Watch for the little clue at the end that shows young readers that it all really happened. Four stars.
Amanda
Jan 18, 2016 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: need-to-buy, mermaids
I wish I had read this as a child as I would have adored it! A book about celebrating the summer solstice with beautiful pictures of tons of beautiful mermaids. So colourful and lovely!
Susan
Jun 19, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books-jp
As a fan of all things mermaid, this book is a hit if for nothing else then the idea of a mermaid solstice celebration picnic. My inner Ariel was pleased.
Kristen
Aug 22, 2009 Kristen rated it it was ok
Sparkly and sweet as cotton candy, this will fit the bill when little girls ask me for a mermaid book.
Jessica
May 15, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
A must for any little girl obsessed with mermaids (like my 3yo). The pictures are gorgeous!
Teri
May 28, 2011 Teri rated it really liked it
Shelves: seasons, summer
Another perfect "girl" book--that can be used to tie into the summer solstice.
Domini
Jul 07, 2011 Domini rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorites. One to keep in mind for summer solstice.
Jacqueline
Jul 14, 2012 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
Cute art, with a nice story. It was a little hard to turn the pages though.
Angie
Jan 28, 2012 Angie rated it it was amazing
I thought pictures were very beautiful and the colors were just eye catching
Olson Family Matters
Jun 20, 2012 Olson Family Matters rated it it was ok
Shelves: pre-k-summer
Just not our style - a story of mermaids celebrating summer solstice.
Tanya W
Jun 18, 2011 Tanya W rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Definitely a very girly book with wonderful illustrations.
Lia
Jan 24, 2011 Lia rated it really liked it
A very fun book. My niece looooooved it!
Michelle
J P HAK
18117399979 marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
sierra
sierra marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Maciej
Maciej marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016