Start by marking “I'm Still Scared: A 26 Fairmount Avenue Book (26 Fairmount Avenue, #6)” as Want to Read:
I'm Still Scared: A 26 Fairmount Avenue Book (26 Fairmount Avenue, #6)

I'm Still Scared: A 26 Fairmount Avenue Book (26 Fairmount Avenue #6)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  18 reviews
First-grader tomie depaola experiences uncertainty in the weeks following the attack on pearl Harbor, December 7, 19 1. what are the grown-ups talking quietly about at home and even at school? why does his class have to go to the spooky furnace room for an air raid drill? why does the family hang thick black curtains over the windows? tomie?s mother is there to comfort and ...more
Published June 14th 2007 by Puffin Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about I'm Still Scared, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm Still Scared

Luann
I continue to be impressed with Tomie dePaola's detailed memories of his childhood. I was interested to learn in his note at the end that he had some help from home movies that his parents took. Still, the level of detail shown in this series is impressive - and even more so because they are simply and clearly written and perfect for young children. It's as if he is able to completely put himself back into the role of young Tomie.

This book is particularly powerful because it takes place from the
Patricia
This is the sixth book in the series. Tomie begins writing on the day of the attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941. He and his family went to Mass that next Monday morning, before school, and recited the Prayer for Peace. When they got to school, all any of the kids talked about was how things will never be the same.

At school, amidst the hot, wet wool smell of mittens drying on the radiators, there was an assembly. After they recited the Pledge of Allegiance, it was announced that school was
Lisa
I really liked this book because it tells real life historical events in ways that a child can relate to and not be scared to explore. I read this with my 3rd grader, and while the reading level is very easy for him, the content, the themes explored, the historical background, was very appropriate for his age. Lovely.
Kristin
dh is reading this aloud to the younger ones at bedtime.
We have read nearly all the books in this series and love them. Tomie DePaola is one of our all time favorite authors.
Brett
This book really captures what it was like to experience the start of WWII as a young child. Fascinating, & as always, with fantastic illustrations.
Josiah
Whereas the events of the book that preceded this one, Things Will Never Be the Same, quickly shuffled through the paces of an entire year on 26 Fairmount Avenue, I'm Still Scared covers only the span of a single month: December 1941, right after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor that brought the United States into the mix of World War II.

Young Tomie really doesn't know much about what it means to be in a war. Is his family in imminent danger where they are, just living in their own house? I
Dianne
Great very short biography for young readers about life when WWII started.
Amanda
This book is about a boy named Tomie dePaola. Tomie is in second grade when the event of Pearl Harbor happens. All the adults in his life are talking quietly about the war and Tomie starts to get scared. Throughout the story Tomie gets better about the idea of war but no matter how much better he feels he is still scared. This is a good chapter book for children to read who are interested in history or about what happen during Pearl Harbor. It gives good information while making it child friendl ...more
Amy
5th in a series. I debated about reading this because my daughter is rightfully sensitive about war/violence and we haven't learned much about WWII yet. But, she wanted to read it and I am not sorry we pushed on in the series. The tone continues the same even though the subject matter has changed to the uncertainty and fear bred by the war. The pace also changed in this book, showing in detail the events of December 1941 only.
Tanja
More autobiographical accounts from Tomie DePaola’s childhood, this time narrating how as a second grader he experienced the time right after the attacks on Pearl Harbor. It made me want to read the other books in the 26 Fairmount Avenue series and also gave me a sense of knowing a bit more about the man who wrote and illustrated such amazing children’s books.
Doreen
dePaola addresses the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Little Tomie is afraid, like most children, at that time. His mom makes black out curtains and Air Raid Drills are practiced at school. This book realistically addresses a child's fears during wartime and of the possibility of foreign attack. dePaola treats every subject with amazing tenderness.
Joy
The last book ended with the attack on Pearl Harbor. This book deals with the events in the first few weeks after the event. Tomie doesn't know what is all going on. There are special assemblies at school and air raid drills and blackout curtains. His father takes an extra "war job" to help with the effort.
Alex Baugh
My complete review of the four books that comprise 26 Fairmount Avenue: The War Years can be found under Things Will Never Be the Same.
Sharlet Mullen
the diary entries make this book. Real life historical events in ways that a child can relate to and not be scared to explore.
Mckinley
Jumped into the middle of the series. Interesting account of the effects of Pearl Harbor bombing on a young child.
Christine
Love this series. Wish he would continue it.
Ruthie
i can't get enough of this series!
PWRL
Mar 22, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
A
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Marlena
Marlena marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Kyra
Kyra marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Tomie dePaola (pronounced Tommy da-POW-la) is best known for his books for children.
He's been published for 40 years and has written and/or illustrated over 200 books, including 26 Fairmount Avenue, Strega Nona, and Meet the Barkers.
Tomie dePaola and his work have been recognized with the Caldecott Honor Award, the Newbery Honor Award and the New Hampshire Governor's Arts Award of Living Treasure.
More about Tomie dePaola...

26 Fairmount Avenue (8 books)
  • 26 Fairmount Avenue (26 Fairmount Avenue, #1)
  • Here We All Are (26 Fairmount Avenue, #2)
  • On My Way (26 Fairmount Avenue Book, #3)
  • What a Year!: A 26 Fairmount Avenue Book (26 Fairmount Avenue, #4)
  • Things Will Never Be the Same (26 Fairmount Avenue, #5)
  • Why?: The War Years (26 Fairmount Avenue, #7)
  • For the Duration: The War Years (26 Fairmount Avenue, #8)
Strega Nona The Legend of the Bluebonnet The Legend of the Indian Paintbrush The Art Lesson Nana Upstairs and Nana Downstairs