Start by marking “The Whispering Knights” as Want to Read:
The Whispering Knights

The Whispering Knights

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  72 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
'I don't know that you have done anything wrong,' Miss Hepplewhite said. 'But it is possible that you have done something rather dangerous.'

William and Susie thought they were just playing a game when they cooked a witch's brew in the old barn and said a spell over it, but Martha was not so sure. And indeed, the three friends soon learn that they have called up something
Published April 26th 1971 by William Heinemann Ltd (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Whispering Knights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Whispering Knights

Folk Horror Revival by Andy PaciorekThe White People and Other Weird Stories by Arthur MachenThe House on the Borderland by William Hope HodgsonWhat Dreams May Come by Manly Wade WellmanAncient Echoes by Robert Holdstock
Folk Horror & Mystery
22nd out of 76 books — 14 voters
Outlander by Diana GabaldonIn the Circle of Time by Margaret J. AndersonIn The Stone Circle by Elizabeth Cody KimmelMerryll Of The Stones by Brian CaswellBlood Dance by Louise Cooper
Stone Circles
9th out of 52 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Austen to Zafón
Pre-read for my son. Enjoyable ghost story for kids, written by one of my favorite authors, Penelope Lively. Might be a bit too creepy for my son just now, but I think soon he'll be ready for it. Lively based the stones in the book on the Rollright stones, some of which are called The Whispering Knights. Yet another stop to add to my fantasy itinerary of a literary tour of Britain with my son. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollrigh...
Lisa Frieden
Jun 03, 2014 Lisa Frieden rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-lit
We read this aloud to our 9 year old, who enjoyed it - a taste of British countryside and some English mythology thrown in. With so much new juvenile fiction available these days, the Whispering Knights moved kind of slowly for her. She's definitely a kid of her time, wanting everything fast, fast, FAST.
Luan On
Dec 12, 2015 Luan On rated it liked it
This had a strong premise: three children unwittingly revive an ancient witch's spirit, who then invades the children's lives via whatever means she can: inhabiting human form, invading TV sets, sending out poison laced cakes. The result is a cracking good read.

The children are easily identifiable: sensitive Martha, pragmatic Susie, scornful William. There is an enigmatic old lady: Mrs Hepplewhite, who speaks in riddles and acts as a sort of consultant against Morgana.

The writing is often eerie
Gary Stocker
Jul 29, 2011 Gary Stocker rated it liked it
Read it mostly because it is loosely connected to the Rollright Stones where I did some voluntary work. Obviously aimed at a younger audience. Still good though. Quite scary in places!
Bryn (Plus Others)
Lively steps definitely into the realm of fantasy here, with good success, although I find it fascinating how much her modern incarnation of Morgan shares with villains of other contemporary British children's books -- clearly there was something going on in Britain at this time about the virtuous middle-classes (hard working, not too much money, shabby houses filled with solid old things) and the evil newly wealthy, with their cars and makeup and designer clothes.
Polly
Jul 01, 2014 Polly rated it really liked it
Very good! I wish it were easier to get Penelope Lively's books in Canada.
Manel
Feb 24, 2015 Manel added it
que os den morcilla!!!
Jacqui Spink
Apr 07, 2012 Jacqui Spink rated it really liked it
Still on my Penelope Lively jaunt. I enjoyed this one too - a story about Morgan le Fay - reminiscent of The Weirdstone Of Brisingamen - 3 children accidently summon up evil in the form of Morgan and have to stop her from destroying their village. Again, there is more there to think about than just the good vs evil storyline with the children trying to stop a motorway from being built through their village.
Katya
Jul 21, 2012 Katya rated it it was amazing
Loved reading this book after visiting the Rollright Stones. Powerful and well-plotted, and the atmosphere of a small Cotswold village is just right.
Happy Prince
Happy Prince marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Emily Nielson
Emily Nielson marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Charlotte Belcher
Charlotte Belcher marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Nael Humran
Nael Humran rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2016
Iain
Iain is currently reading it
Apr 15, 2016
Laura Garrido
Laura Garrido marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Martha F-P
Martha F-P rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Jessica Hilton
Jessica Hilton marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Richard Hing
Richard Hing marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Diego Josue
Diego Josue is currently reading it
Mar 07, 2016
Pavel
Pavel added it
Mar 02, 2016
C.A.
C.A. marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Dohyun
Dohyun added it
Feb 17, 2016
Noelia Medina Sanchez
Noelia Medina Sanchez rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Tal Shvartsburt
Tal Shvartsburt rated it did not like it
Bushra Al-ayij
Bushra Al-ayij rated it it was ok
Khalil Jabri
Khalil Jabri marked it as to-read
Pedroniet
Pedroniet marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Gery
Gery rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Lazlear
Lazlear is currently reading it
Feb 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Penelope Lively CBE (born March 17, 1933) is a prolific, popular and critically acclaimed author of fiction for both children and adults. She has been shortlisted three times for the Booker Prize, winning once for Moon Tiger in 1987.

Born in Cairo in 1933, she spent her early childhood in Egypt, before being sent to boarding school in England at the age of twelve. She read Modern History at St Anne
More about Penelope Lively...