Start by marking “Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies

Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies

"The next best thing to having an experienced Greyhound owner living with you."
--Joan Belle Isle, President, Greyhound Project "Anyone who reads this book and follows its guidance will have a happier, healthier dog and be a happier, more relaxed dog owner."
--Hal and Karen Hawley, Greyhound Friends Northwest

The Greyhound has been celebrated in song and legend for thousand
Published September 27th 2000 by For Dummies

To ask other readers questions about Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies

Jen
Sep 11, 2009 Jen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
In preparation to adopt a retired racer, I read this because of a requirement of the local greyhound adoption rescue. As it turns out, this book really is fantastic not just for greyhounds but for all dog breeds. Chock full of training tips and behavior recognition, I already knew some of the material since I already own a dog. However, I found most of it to be new and incredibly helpful. This particular Dummies book will retain a permanent position on my bookshelf.
Hannah
Jul 31, 2007 Hannah rated it liked it
Recommends it for: dummies, duh
Shelves: how-to
Can you believe I actually have sat and read this, like, three times? This book calls me a "dummy," and I just roll over and drool like the four-legged friend I long for. I'm a sucker for nearly useless facts.
Amber Frame
Mar 06, 2017 Amber Frame rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Educational read

I had to read this to be eligible for adoption for one of these precious dogs. It was insightful, as they are slightly different from the collie we had at home.
Katelyn
Jan 13, 2014 Katelyn rated it really liked it
We are currently considering adopting a retired greyhound into your family. The adoption agency requires that we read this book prior to continuing on in the process.

There is a chapter that is suppose to help you decide if a retired greyhound is a good fit for you. However, the chapter really didn't provide much more than good advice for adopting any type of dog.

The information about training is one we will revisit for whatever dog we do decide to adopt, because it is just good advice about re
Erin
Apr 12, 2011 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
We are in the process of adopting a greyhound and the rescue/adoption group we're working with required reading this book. It is very readable and full of information, answering almost any question you can think of related to the care and training of a retired racer. I would definitely recommend this book for anyone who is interested in adopting a grey.
Apr 02, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing
A really great source of greyhound-specific information, as well as info on training techniques that would probably be helpful with any dog. Gives a great idea of what living with a greyhound would be like.
Lindsay
May 29, 2009 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
Although I didn't end up adopting a greyhound, there are still a lot of training techniques I have been able to use with my dog. Very informative, but not too dense. A great recommend for anyone who wants to learning about greyhounds or general dog training using positive reinforcement.
Greydj1
I always wanted a Greyhound and this book is a definite plus to read before you adopt a retired racer. I have highlighted, read, reread, and highlighted again parts that help be be a good mom. (To the four legged kid!)
What a tremendous joy to own a greyhound!
Michele
Feb 09, 2012 Michele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I downloaded this to my kindle the day I adopted my greyhound three weeks ago. It's been my bible ever since. As we are adapting, this book has helped me with many how-tos. It's very informative.
Jessica Mccarthy
May 02, 2016 Jessica Mccarthy rated it liked it
From a learning perspective, this book is excellent. From a reader who is critical of form, this book needs a new proofreader.

However, it's done its job, and my relationship with my new grey has been powerfully affected by the Greyhounds/Dummies book!
Lenabean77
Mar 10, 2013 Lenabean77 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: doggies
This book was extremely helpful, before and after I adopted my retired racer. It not only goes through the basics of dog ownership, but completely covers topics related to Greyhounds specifically. I checked this out from the library, but will be purchasing a copy for the house soon.
Megan Parker
Dec 13, 2012 Megan Parker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: personal-library
This book is an invaluable resource if you are considering adopting a retired racing greyhound or if you already have one as a member of your family. It is intelligently written without speaking above the audiences head.
Nichole
Mar 19, 2012 Nichole rated it it was amazing
This book got us ready to adopt our hounds!
Jenn
Mar 16, 2015 Jenn rated it really liked it
Although several years old, still highly recommended by my local rescue groups and had tons of great information about these unique doggies.
Asha Henriksson
Jun 13, 2013 Asha Henriksson is currently reading it
I need help!!! How do you read the book? I'm new to this app
Nathan
Jul 19, 2012 Nathan rated it really liked it
this is a must have for a grey guardian...the go to book for most greyhound related info
Rachel
Sep 20, 2009 Rachel rated it liked it
this was helpful for dog management in general...however i was required to read it before adopting a greyhoud, which i didn't do, still an ok book though
Dina
Mar 26, 2009 Dina rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource and a must to read for anyone considering adopting a retired racing greyhound.
Chris
Feb 07, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-not-owned
A ton of great information presented in an easy to understand manner. Should I ever make this happen, I will promptly purchase this book.
Steve
Sep 27, 2015 Steve rated it liked it
A lot of good info about the breed. A good amount of information that can be applied to dog training and dog care in general.
Jay
Apr 08, 2007 Jay rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Someone interested in rescuing a best friend
I haven't finished this book yet, but will adopted a greyhound (Waggin') in May of 2003.
Chris
Oct 29, 2007 Chris rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: enemies
Piss poor.
Gabrielle Oerter
Great info

Great info. Read this before I started the adoption process. Definitely fell better prepared to welcome home my new neddlenose

Anne
Feb 26, 2012 Anne rated it it was ok
Shelves: dogs, adult, animals
Recommended by the greyhound adoption group. I'm just not a fan of the dummies books, I guess.
Patricia Donovan
Sep 08, 2015 Patricia Donovan rated it it was amazing
Great introduction to our new addition to the family. I'm continuing to learn a lot about Greyhounds from this book and especially liked the section on preparing your home for a greyhound.
Enid
May 22, 2012 Enid rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, dogs
An excellent guide--if we do decide to adopt a greyhound, I'm definitely buying a copy. The advice about training would probably be useful for any breed of dog.
Kristine
Oct 22, 2007 Kristine rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all greyhound owners or wanna-be owners!
I refer to this book all the time! It is so useful, informative, and dead-on about the Grey's.
Mrs. Schonour
Jun 29, 2007 Mrs. Schonour rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a must read for anyone considering adopting a greyhound. It offers the best insight into these amazing dogs. After owning a greyhound, this book is very informative and accurate.
Emily
Jun 18, 2008 Emily rated it it was amazing
Great resource for anyone thinking about adopting a retired racing greyhound.
Jillian
Feb 18, 2008 Jillian rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People interested in fostering or buying a retired racing hound.
Shelves: dogs
Great book! I fostered a retired greyhound before and learned a lot from this about their fears and how to overcome them.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Adopting the Racing Greyhound
  • Puppies For Dummies
  • Meet the Dogs of Bedlam Farm
  • Encyclopedia of Dog Breeds
  • The Crafter's Guide to Taking Great Photos: The Best Techniques for Showcasing Your Handmade Creations
  • The Dog Whisperer with Cesar Millan: Lessons from Cesar's TV Dogs and Their Owners
  • Saving Audie: A Pit Bull Puppy Gets a Second Chance