Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies

Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  28 reviews
An authoritative guide on the special needs of these retirees. Is there life after retirement? Absolutely, for these lucky dogs. More than 18,000 Greyhounds are adopted every year. This handy reference puts you on the fast track to finding an adoption group, selecting the right dog, and more. Offers
Published September 27th 2000 by For Dummies

To ask other readers questions about Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies

Hannah
Jul 31, 2007 Hannah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dummies, duh
Shelves: how-to
Can you believe I actually have sat and read this, like, three times? This book calls me a "dummy," and I just roll over and drool like the four-legged friend I long for. I'm a sucker for nearly useless facts.
Katelyn
We are currently considering adopting a retired greyhound into your family. The adoption agency requires that we read this book prior to continuing on in the process.

There is a chapter that is suppose to help you decide if a retired greyhound is a good fit for you. However, the chapter really didn't provide much more than good advice for adopting any type of dog.

The information about training is one we will revisit for whatever dog we do decide to adopt, because it is just good advice about re...more
diane
Very helpful prior to adoption, and a great quick reference afterwards!
Jen
In preparation to adopt a retired racer, I read this because of a requirement of the local greyhound adoption rescue. As it turns out, this book really is fantastic not just for greyhounds but for all dog breeds. Chock full of training tips and behavior recognition, I already knew some of the material since I already own a dog. However, I found most of it to be new and incredibly helpful. This particular Dummies book will retain a permanent position on my bookshelf.
Erin
We are in the process of adopting a greyhound and the rescue/adoption group we're working with required reading this book. It is very readable and full of information, answering almost any question you can think of related to the care and training of a retired racer. I would definitely recommend this book for anyone who is interested in adopting a grey.
Lenabean77
This book was extremely helpful, before and after I adopted my retired racer. It not only goes through the basics of dog ownership, but completely covers topics related to Greyhounds specifically. I checked this out from the library, but will be purchasing a copy for the house soon.
Lindsay
Although I didn't end up adopting a greyhound, there are still a lot of training techniques I have been able to use with my dog. Very informative, but not too dense. A great recommend for anyone who wants to learning about greyhounds or general dog training using positive reinforcement.
Greydj1
I always wanted a Greyhound and this book is a definite plus to read before you adopt a retired racer. I have highlighted, read, reread, and highlighted again parts that help be be a good mom. (To the four legged kid!)
What a tremendous joy to own a greyhound!
Megan Parker
This book is an invaluable resource if you are considering adopting a retired racing greyhound or if you already have one as a member of your family. It is intelligently written without speaking above the audiences head.
Michele
I downloaded this to my kindle the day I adopted my greyhound three weeks ago. It's been my bible ever since. As we are adapting, this book has helped me with many how-tos. It's very informative.
A really great source of greyhound-specific information, as well as info on training techniques that would probably be helpful with any dog. Gives a great idea of what living with a greyhound would be like.
Bill
In the overall scheme of things, not a four-star book. But if you're looking for the kind of information you need to adopt and care for retired greyhounds, this book tells the whole story.
Mrs. Schonour
This is a must read for anyone considering adopting a greyhound. It offers the best insight into these amazing dogs. After owning a greyhound, this book is very informative and accurate.
Enid
An excellent guide--if we do decide to adopt a greyhound, I'm definitely buying a copy. The advice about training would probably be useful for any breed of dog.
Rachel
this was helpful for dog management in general...however i was required to read it before adopting a greyhoud, which i didn't do, still an ok book though
Chris
A ton of great information presented in an easy to understand manner. Should I ever make this happen, I will promptly purchase this book.
Jillian
May 26, 2009 Jillian rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People interested in fostering or buying a retired racing hound.
Shelves: dogs
Great book! I fostered a retired greyhound before and learned a lot from this about their fears and how to overcome them.
Cathy
I love the Dummies books. They are always user-friendly and packed with good information.
Anne
Recommended by the greyhound adoption group. I'm just not a fan of the dummies books, I guess.
Kristine
Oct 22, 2007 Kristine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all greyhound owners or wanna-be owners!
I refer to this book all the time! It is so useful, informative, and dead-on about the Grey's.
Dina
Excellent resource and a must to read for anyone considering adopting a retired racing greyhound.
Jay
Apr 08, 2007 Jay rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Someone interested in rescuing a best friend
I haven't finished this book yet, but will adopted a greyhound (Waggin') in May of 2003.
Nathan
this is a must have for a grey guardian...the go to book for most greyhound related info
Emily
Great resource for anyone thinking about adopting a retired racing greyhound.
Deborah
If you are thinking of adopting a retired racer this is a must read.
Asha Henriksson
Jun 13, 2013 Asha Henriksson is currently reading it
I need help!!! How do you read the book? I'm new to this app
Nichole
This book got us ready to adopt our hounds!
Chris
Oct 29, 2007 Chris rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: enemies
Piss poor.
Julia Mészáros
Julia Mészáros marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014