Start by marking “The Pocket Stylist” as Want to Read:
The Pocket Stylist

The Pocket Stylist

A celebrity fashion stylist reveals the tricks of her trade and shows women of all sizes how to pull together their own polished, individual look.
Published January 26th 2004 by Avery

To ask other readers questions about The Pocket Stylist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pocket Stylist

John
Sep 06, 2014 John rated it really liked it
I decided that if I want to gift females in my family with fashion essentials, then I’d better get educated. The first book I read – by a fashion journalist – seemed rather thin on useful content. This book strikes me as solid, written by someone who not only is an expert, but also knows how to communicate and teach. The early chapters focus on form and silhouette, leading me toward a deeper appreciation of clothing balance, proportion, and line for various body types. Along the way, I picked up ...more
Irene McHugh
Mar 29, 2011 Irene McHugh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: style-guide
Since this book is organized by body type, once you determine your body type, the amount of reading you have to do is greatly reduced. There are some illustrations, but much more text. Kendall Farr goes through some good common sense advice about how to build and maintain a wardrobe. She gives you shopping tips. One of my favorite tips was to always carry a small measuring tape in my purse. I know where different inseam lengths hit me. Now when I'm shopping, I save time by measuring the inseam o ...more
Patricia
Feb 16, 2008 Patricia rated it liked it
I really liked this book. It is small, so you can take it with you when you shop. The author explains what she, as a stylist does. Aside from dressing movie starts and personal clients, she also is hired by advertising agencies to dress any model you may see in the ad. This is a niche market I never even thought about.

There were some good tips in the book. My favorite was to take your waist measurement and your rise measurement. When looking for pants, bring along a tape measure and use it to de
Gayle
Jan 29, 2009 Gayle rated it really liked it
A new twist on the how-to-look-good book. Author Kendall Farr is a stylist and former fashion editor, and her experience shows. Her mantras are: (1) wear what is flattering on your body, and (2) everything has to fit.

The book is progressive. First, figure out your body type (A, B, C, D, E, or F), then clean out your closet, shop for what you need, and take your finds to the tailor for alterations. Farr coaches you through this process, helping you figure out what works and what doesn't. She wind
Kerry
Apr 28, 2013 Kerry rated it liked it
This was just ok. I felt like this book needed a more clear audience and was trying to cover too many things. It is more of an entry level guide, so if you read fashion magazines or have looked at other books, this one doesn't offer much new. I was looking for something that spent more time showing how to create outfits that work with specific proportions and ideas on ways to update my wardrobe now that my body and lifestyle are changing. Her other book is better for this purpose.
Cara
Jul 15, 2012 Cara rated it it was amazing
This book is a classic on style for me, I love the way Kendall talks about things. I always feel that we're having a chat over tea. Not everything in this book has been something I've taken verbatim and added to my life, but much of what she's said has been informing the way I think and shop for years. We are not the same person, but we share what counts.
Ali
Feb 23, 2011 Ali rated it it was amazing
I read this a few years ago and I think of it often. There is nothing revolutionary in here, nor does it tell you certain items to buy. The author basically gives encouragement and the reasoning behind why to wear styles that are flattering to one's body type (and what those styles are for said body type).
Son
Apr 15, 2013 Son rated it really liked it
Good info for the unknown fashionista...labels are too expensive for my budget that she recommends, even if they were on sale. But that goes for almost all fashion books. Does contain valuable info!
Julia
Dec 27, 2007 Julia rated it really liked it
I asked for this book for Christmas and really love it. I feel like I don't know what to wear these days and this book has great, grounded advice for specific body types. I feel like it's going to help me put together a workable wardrobe that keeps me from feeling like such a fashion schlub.
Meg
Aug 05, 2012 Meg rated it liked it
Although I have not (yet) implemented any of the recommendations, I think I generally found this book helpful. It didn't have as much advice for developing a personal style as I would have liked, but maybe there is no way to explain how to develop/cultivate personal style.
Brittany
Jan 05, 2009 Brittany rated it really liked it
I don't agree with her idea of body types (there is much more than just a type A, B and C). However she shared a lot of things that I didn't know, I appreciate her opinions on fit and I also think that I could have a good time with her. ;) Overall it's a fun book that I pull out often.
Cindy Deister
Jan 19, 2015 Cindy Deister rated it it was amazing
Shelves: style, favorites
The ultimate in styling to enhance the silhouette. I refer to this book over and over for myself and to help friends choose the cut and proportion of clothing while overhauling a wardrobe or shopping. The advice in this book is timeless.
Teresa
Apr 18, 2014 Teresa rated it did not like it
Find your own style, but follow my style rules. Style is what looks good on you, but check these designers to see what's 'in'. Choose from a variety of brands, but don't wear 2 different brand labels together.
February Four
Sep 16, 2012 February Four rated it liked it
Good if you are clueless in the fashion department and need some help starting out. Not as useful when you already have a settled style and are looking for specific-occasion help.
Catherine
Oct 24, 2007 Catherine rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: (aspiring) fashonistas
summary = buy clothes that fit, and have a good silhouette. spend more on basics, and less on trends.
Sara Smith
Apr 01, 2014 Sara Smith rated it really liked it
Not really anything that I haven't read before, but I do think it's a good guide. Unfortunately b/c I'm so tall I can't use a lot of the tips for shopping in-stores :(
Linda Harris
Jul 10, 2008 Linda Harris rated it it was amazing
I worked in the fashion industry for years. That makes me know only that "fashion" doesn't necessarily teach you how to dress to make the most of yourself. This book does.
Lesley Ann Malapit
Lesley Ann Malapit rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2008
Laurie F.
Laurie F. rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Miss Mouse
It was good, but the author is very knowledgeable and throws a lot of information out there.
Star
Star rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2009
Bridget Vanyo
Bridget Vanyo rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2014
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2012
lisa
lisa rated it it was ok
May 05, 2012
Marla Foreman
Marla Foreman rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2014
Shasta
Shasta rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2014
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2010
Connie
Connie rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2014
Tasha
Tasha rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2012
Jackie
Jackie rated it liked it
May 23, 2011
  • How to Be a Budget Fashionista: The Ultimate Guide to Looking Fabulous for Less
  • The Lucky Shopping Manual
  • Dress Your Best
  • The Lucky Guide to Mastering Any Style: How to Wear Iconic Looks and Make Them Your Own
  • The Science of Sexy: Dress to Fit Your Unique Figure with the Style System that Works for Every Shape and Size
  • InStyle: Instant Style: Your Season-by-Season Guide for Work and Weekend
  • Style on a Shoestring: Develop Your Cents of Style and Look Like a Million without Spending a Fortune
  • The Thoughtful Dresser
  • What Not to Wear
  • Three Black Skirts: All You Need to Survive
  • Fierce Style: How to Be Your Most Fabulous Self
  • Wear This, Toss That!: Hundreds of Fashion and Beauty Swaps That Save Your Looks, Save Your Budget, and Save You Time
  • A Guide to Elegance: For Every Woman Who Wants to Be Well and Properly Dressed on All Occasions
  • The Style Strategy: A Less-Is-More Approach to Staying Chic and Shopping Smart
  • Details Men's Style Manual: The Ultimate Guide for Making Your Clothes Work for You
  • How to Never Look Fat Again: Over 1,000 Ways to Dress Thinner--Without Dieting!
  • The Fashion File: Advice, Tips, and Inspiration from the Costume Designer of Mad Men
  • The Bombshell Manual of Style