Start by marking “The Pocket Stylist” as Want to Read:
The Pocket Stylist

The Pocket Stylist

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  215 ratings  ·  22 reviews
A celebrity fashion stylist reveals the tricks of her trade and shows women of all sizes how to pull together their own polished, individual look.
Published January 26th 2004 by Gotham

To ask other readers questions about The Pocket Stylist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pocket Stylist

John
I decided that if I want to gift females in my family with fashion essentials, then I’d better get educated. The first book I read – by a fashion journalist – seemed rather thin on useful content. This book strikes me as solid, written by someone who not only is an expert, but also knows how to communicate and teach. The early chapters focus on form and silhouette, leading me toward a deeper appreciation of clothing balance, proportion, and line for various body types. Along the way, I picked up ...more
Patricia
I really liked this book. It is small, so you can take it with you when you shop. The author explains what she, as a stylist does. Aside from dressing movie starts and personal clients, she also is hired by advertising agencies to dress any model you may see in the ad. This is a niche market I never even thought about.

There were some good tips in the book. My favorite was to take your waist measurement and your rise measurement. When looking for pants, bring along a tape measure and use it to de
Irene McHugh
Since this book is organized by body type, once you determine your body type, the amount of reading you have to do is greatly reduced. There are some illustrations, but much more text. Kendall Farr goes through some good common sense advice about how to build and maintain a wardrobe. She gives you shopping tips. One of my favorite tips was to always carry a small measuring tape in my purse. I know where different inseam lengths hit me. Now when I'm shopping, I save time by measuring the inseam o ...more
Gayle
A new twist on the how-to-look-good book. Author Kendall Farr is a stylist and former fashion editor, and her experience shows. Her mantras are: (1) wear what is flattering on your body, and (2) everything has to fit.

The book is progressive. First, figure out your body type (A, B, C, D, E, or F), then clean out your closet, shop for what you need, and take your finds to the tailor for alterations. Farr coaches you through this process, helping you figure out what works and what doesn't. She wind
Cindy Deister
The ultimate in styling to enhance the silhouette. I refer to this book over and over for myself and to help friends choose the cut and proportion of clothing while overhauling a wardrobe or shopping. The advice in this book is timeless.
Teresa
Find your own style, but follow my style rules. Style is what looks good on you, but check these designers to see what's 'in'. Choose from a variety of brands, but don't wear 2 different brand labels together.
Sara Smith
Not really anything that I haven't read before, but I do think it's a good guide. Unfortunately b/c I'm so tall I can't use a lot of the tips for shopping in-stores :(
Kerry
This was just ok. I felt like this book needed a more clear audience and was trying to cover too many things. It is more of an entry level guide, so if you read fashion magazines or have looked at other books, this one doesn't offer much new. I was looking for something that spent more time showing how to create outfits that work with specific proportions and ideas on ways to update my wardrobe now that my body and lifestyle are changing. Her other book is better for this purpose.
Cara
This book is a classic on style for me, I love the way Kendall talks about things. I always feel that we're having a chat over tea. Not everything in this book has been something I've taken verbatim and added to my life, but much of what she's said has been informing the way I think and shop for years. We are not the same person, but we share what counts.
Ali
I read this a few years ago and I think of it often. There is nothing revolutionary in here, nor does it tell you certain items to buy. The author basically gives encouragement and the reasoning behind why to wear styles that are flattering to one's body type (and what those styles are for said body type).
Julia
I asked for this book for Christmas and really love it. I feel like I don't know what to wear these days and this book has great, grounded advice for specific body types. I feel like it's going to help me put together a workable wardrobe that keeps me from feeling like such a fashion schlub.
Brittany
I don't agree with her idea of body types (there is much more than just a type A, B and C). However she shared a lot of things that I didn't know, I appreciate her opinions on fit and I also think that I could have a good time with her. ;) Overall it's a fun book that I pull out often.
Meg
Although I have not (yet) implemented any of the recommendations, I think I generally found this book helpful. It didn't have as much advice for developing a personal style as I would have liked, but maybe there is no way to explain how to develop/cultivate personal style.
Son
Good info for the unknown fashionista...labels are too expensive for my budget that she recommends, even if they were on sale. But that goes for almost all fashion books. Does contain valuable info!
February Four
Good if you are clueless in the fashion department and need some help starting out. Not as useful when you already have a settled style and are looking for specific-occasion help.
Linda
I worked in the fashion industry for years. That makes me know only that "fashion" doesn't necessarily teach you how to dress to make the most of yourself. This book does.
Catherine
Oct 24, 2007 Catherine rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: (aspiring) fashonistas
summary = buy clothes that fit, and have a good silhouette. spend more on basics, and less on trends.
Miss Mouse
It was good, but the author is very knowledgeable and throws a lot of information out there.
Bobby
May 30, 2009 Bobby rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
I like this book for the fact that it talks about different body types.
Carolyn
Aug 03, 2011 Carolyn added it
Shelves: owned
Exellent advice, easy to use and small enough to carry around!
Elizabeth (Betsy)
Great, simple book with great advice!
Glen
Helpful, detailed.
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Rich Girl
Rich Girl marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
  • How to Be a Budget Fashionista: The Ultimate Guide to Looking Fabulous for Less
  • The Lucky Shopping Manual
  • Dress Your Best
  • The Lucky Guide to Mastering Any Style: How to Wear Iconic Looks and Make Them Your Own
  • The Science of Sexy: Dress to Fit Your Unique Figure with the Style System that Works for Every Shape and Size
  • What Not to Wear
  • The One Hundred: A Guide to the Pieces Every Stylish Woman Must Own
  • Style on a Shoestring
  • The Thoughtful Dresser
  • Fierce Style: How to Be Your Most Fabulous Self
  • The End of Fashion: How Marketing Changed the Clothing Business Forever
  • InStyle: Instant Style: Your Season-by-Season Guide for Work and Weekend
  • The Skin Type Solution
  • A Guide to Elegance: For Every Woman Who Wants to Be Well and Properly Dressed on All Occasions
  • The Bombshell Manual of Style
  • Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste & Style
  • Three Black Skirts: All You Need to Survive
  • The House of Gucci: A Sensational Story of Murder, Madness, Glamour, and Greed
Style Evolution: How to Create Ageless Personal Style in Your 40s and Beyond Pugs in Public