Start by marking “The Pocket Parent” as Want to Read:
The Pocket Parent

The Pocket Parent

It's instant relief for when your 2-year-old is on the floor of the toy store, pitching a fit. Or when brother and sister discover that they can't stand each other. Or when your son can't say no to video games.

The Pocket Parent is, literally, a pocket-size book of tried-and-true advice, common sense, parental wisdom, and sanity. Written by two professionals who've reared s
Published April 1st 2001 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about The Pocket Parent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pocket Parent

Barb
May 08, 2008 Barb rated it it was ok
...well, I guess you're suppose to whip this baby out in the midst of a wicked arms flailing, legs flying tantrum....throw your hands up in the air and scream, "Wait, wait - time out!! I must read the amusing anecdote on page 15 before we can proceed!!"
I found this guide - I wouldn't call it a book - a little too Brady Bunch for my tastes. The guide is comprised of a lot of "stories with morals." The stories are a little too clean and the outcome's too predictable. The pages are filled with comm
HeavyReader
Sep 25, 2014 HeavyReader rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents with kids under 5 years old
I found this book at an overpriced thrift shop on half price day. Because Louise and Ed have just had a baby, I'm on the lookout for baby and kid related things I can send them.

Upon flipping through this book, I found the advice really good. Advice is based on communication between parents and children. The authors let the parents know they (the parents) are the ones in charge, but encourage parents to talk and listen to their kids.

I ended up reading the entire book before sending it off to Loui
Lori
Jan 01, 2012 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
I haven't read this book cover to cover, but it's more like a reference book. I think overall it has been helpful. Especially when I am at my wits end with a particular parenting scenario. I do think it is rather idealistic at times and super cheesed up, but it gives good ideas and if not an idea that will work directly, reading this helps lead to other ideas to try. Overall, it's been handy to have around. Would technically give it 3.5 stars.
Clare
Oct 27, 2012 Clare rated it liked it
The book contains useful ideas & is well-organized to help you skip to the section that you need.
I read just the sections that apply to my kids, a son age 4 and triplets age 2. So I guess that means I had to read a whole bunch of sections...help me?!?!...haha
Stephanie
Mar 24, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009, march
An excellent resource, with great tips to implement immediately. It also has a very pro-parent slant, unlike many books these days -- realizing that we parents do make mistakes, and that guilt doesn't help. I don't often buy parenting books, but I will be purchasing this one.
Megan
Sep 07, 2009 Megan rated it liked it
Good, quick-hit parenting advice for the preschool set. A lot of it is common sense, but still helpful when you find yourself at a loss.
Molly
Apr 09, 2008 Molly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
Some really helpful tips for dealing with toddler and preschooler issues. It's a quick reference guide with great advice that you can pick and choose ideas from when you need them!
Liz
Mar 24, 2010 Liz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, own
Where has this little book been hiding? It's crammed with thoughtful, sensible, useful & usable advice.
Scott E. Hardy
Scott E. Hardy rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2014
Heather Clark
Heather Clark rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2016
Leslie Buchenberger
Leslie Buchenberger rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2013
Kamra
Kamra rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2011
Ellen
Ellen rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2014
Ann
Ann rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2014
Teri W
Teri W rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2014
Keri Santanella
Keri Santanella rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2015
Beatrice
Beatrice rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2015
Kristen
Kristen rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2016
Lynnea Taylor
Lynnea Taylor rated it it was ok
Feb 11, 2008
Janene
Janene rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2011
Rebecca Gallegos
Rebecca Gallegos rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2014
Anita Hopkins
Dec 19, 2009 Anita Hopkins rated it really liked it
Very helpful thus far. Good on giving quick advice and reinforcing love!
Brighid
Brighid rated it liked it
May 11, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2014
Aubrey Brangham
Aubrey Brangham rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2015
Terri Ann
Terri Ann rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2009
Drennen Brown
Drennen Brown rated it it was ok
Mar 04, 2015
Loann Jee
Loann Jee rated it did not like it
Feb 17, 2016
Jessie
Jessie rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2014
Toni
Toni rated it liked it
May 12, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Toddler Adoption: The Weaver's Craft
  • Kittens For Dummies
  • Top Secret Recipes: Creating Kitchen Clones of America's Favorite Brand-Name Foods
  • Nursing Mother, Working Mother: The Essential Guide for Breastfeeding and Staying Close to Your Baby After You Return to Work
  • Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5
  • Critical Care Nursing Made Incredibly Easy!
  • Satisfaction: The Art of the Female Orgasm
  • What Is My Cat Thinking?
  • Betty Crocker's New Cookbook
  • Attaching in Adoption: Practical Tools for Today's Parents
  • Cats for Dummies
  • Baby Bargains: Secrets to Saving 20% to 50% on Baby Furinture, Equipment, Clothes, Toys, Maternity Wear and Much, Much More!
  • Fundamentals of Nursing
  • The Only EKG Book You'll Ever Need
  • Setting Limits with Your Strong-Willed Child: Eliminating Conflict by Establishing Clear, Firm, and Respectful Boundaries
  • The Amazing Book of Useless Information: More Things You Didn't Need to Know But Are About to Find Out
  • The Guitar Handbook
  • The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers : The Most Comprehensive Problem-Solution Guide to Breastfeeding from the Foremost Expert in North America