Start by marking “Rednecks & Bluenecks: The Politics of Country Music” as Want to Read:
Rednecks & Bluenecks: The Politics of Country Music

Rednecks & Bluenecks: The Politics of Country Music

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Now in paperback, the nationally acclaimed Rednecks and Bluenecks is veteran Entertainment Weekly journalist Chris Willman’s lively account of “how music makes strange political bedfellows and how artists’ perceived politics change over time” (Booklist). How did the erstwhile music of the rural working class come to be the music of choice of the GOP? Rednecks and Bluenecks ...more
Published November 17th 2005 by New Press, The (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Rednecks & Bluenecks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rednecks & Bluenecks

Beth Newman
This was a fascinating read. Willman did a fine job interviewing country music heavy-hitters from both sides of the political fence (Rodney Crowell, Kris Kristofferson, Ronnie Dunn, Toby Keith, etc.). Country music is big business today, and the 'boot up your ass' mentality is one of the reasons I don't listen to a lot of current country radio.

Today's general public assumes that country music artists are naturally drawn toward the conservative side, and when they 'get out of line', those audien
Grace
his book is a fascinating look at the political makeup of the stars and establishment of country music. Working both forward and backward from the Dixie Chicks' scandal, Willman interviews a whole host of musicians, songwriters, and other country music types to get their takes on where the country music establishment falls on the political spectrum.

Unsurprisingly, most everyone agrees that the majority of mainstream country acts are conservative, while the majority of alt-country/Americana acts
Gwen
This book was ok. It had several really interesting chapters on the relationship between country music and the two political parties, especially how Democrats seem to have abandoned the mainstream country music audience. And of course I'm going to love any book that has an interview with Patterson Hood from the Drive-By Truckers.

But sometimes it seemed a little repetitive. And being an academic it bugged me when he uncritically reported stuff that I know simply isn't true or is way more complex
katherine quarles
Learned a lot about the history of country music and alt country. Also learned a lot about the politics that go with it
Pam
I read this basically because I love the Dixie Chicks, especially since they got in trouble for being outspoken.

It sort of extends to the conflict that I really like country music, and I'm a flaming commie pinko liberal (well, really green anarchist, but whatev) which often feels like a conflict.

I didn't particularly adore the writing style, but I found it interesting the whole way through. Lots of stuff I didn't know before.
M. Fenn
Not a bad read, even if it was written by a guy who works for Entertainment Weekly. It was a bit fluffy, but still seemed to give a good overview of both sides and the middle of politics in country music.
Chris
Aug 25, 2007 Chris rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: music
I don't always like Willman's writing--it's a bit over the top. There are some great stories here (particularly about Steve Earle and Toby Keith), but I'm still not sure what Willman's point is.
Mike
I thoroughly enjoyed this book's romp through the political affiliations, quagmires, and musicology of country music over the years.
Olivia
Olivia added it
Aug 17, 2014
Matthew Connor
Matthew Connor marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Andy
Andy added it
Apr 23, 2014
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Pastor Ericsson
Pastor Ericsson marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Jonathan Bradley
Jonathan Bradley marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2013
Marwa Arafa
Marwa Arafa marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2013
Todd Coates
Todd Coates marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2013
Jules Country
Jules Country marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2013
Hameed Khan
Hameed Khan marked it as to-read
May 18, 2013
Nicole Ewert
Nicole Ewert marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The Zen of Auditions from Now You Tell Me 12 Actors Give the Best Advice They Never Got (Now You Tell Me!) Now You Tell Me! 12 Actors Give the Best Advice They Never Got: Making a Living; Making a Life