The Inner City Mother Goose

The Inner City Mother Goose

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Commenting on political and social issues related to the conditions of the inner city and inner city life, provocative new versions of the classic Mother Goose rhymes, originally published in 1969, are accompanied by new full-color illustrations by the Caldecott Medalist for Smoky Night.
Published May 1st 1996 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing (first published May 1st 1969)

Simon Goetz
My father read these dark and depressing nursery rhymes to me when I was a small child. It fucked me sideways and twisted me hopeless. I'm am eternally grateful. I'll always consider Eve Merriam my godmother, whether she wants me or not.
Katie
“The Inner City Mother Goose” is a set of poems that are adapted from traditional nursery rhymes to depict the realities of inner-city life. For example, there are poems called “Sing a Song of Subways” (inspired by “Sing a Song of Sixpence”) and “Twelve Rooftops Leaping” (based on “The Twelve Days of Christmas). The book consists of 65 short poems accompanied by a variety of photographs.

One of the most striking things about the poems was the sharp contrast between the childish, simple rhyme stru...more
Caitlin Schwatka
This was definitely an enlightening read for me. It brings up many of our society's dysfunctional attributes, such as violence, racism, poverty, abuse, etc. What is sad, I realized, is that I wouldn't be comfortable reading this to 8 year olds, even though the reason this was written is because this is every day life for hundreds of 8 year olds, even in the United States.
Sounds: like the original Mother Goose, all these poems are written with a distinct rhythm, almost like a song. They are all...more
Callie
Nov 19, 2012 Callie added it
Grade/interest level: Middle/High school (grades 6-12)
Reading level: 5.5+
Genre: Poetry

Main Characters: Various
Setting: Various
POV: Various

Summary:
This is a collection of 65 poems that are parodies of original nursery rhymes. The versions presented in this book focus on urban issues such as crime, violence, inadequate housing, unemployment and drug abuse, among many others. The poems are powerful on their own, but even more so when paired with the illustrations.

The illustrations are bright, eye...more
Tiffiny
One of the stand outs for me is, Take- A- Tour, Take- A- Tour, Congressman.
TT
Dark, disturbing, and true. Great job.
HeavyReader
Feb 17, 2012 HeavyReader rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: critics of American society
Shelves: poetry
I had forgotten about this book until today when I was looking for another Mother Goose book and this one came up. I think I picked up a copy of this at a Friends of the Library book sale and donated it to the Solidarity library. I have no idea where it is now.

I liked this book a lot. The writing is smart and funny and edgy.
Debbie Hoskins
Although not traditionally what we consider a graphic novel, I think it is an excellent example of using words and pictures to express mature topics. David Diaz's bold illustrations in acrylic are a perfect union with the thought-provoking verses.
Laura Siegel
I know an English teacher who got fired for giving this book to a student back in the '70s. A pretty enlightening look at reality in the inner city.
Michael
More than 40 years old, and so little has changed. Beautifully done, but sad. The introduction to the 1996 edition by Nikki Giovanni is sublime.
Liz
2/24/11 1.5 a little too grim and abruptly grewsome for me.
Dennis
Must read-1
Meaningful-1
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Stephen Coll
Stephen Coll marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Damali
Damali added it
Mar 27, 2014
Samantha Stewart
Samantha Stewart marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Caneisha Doss
Caneisha Doss marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2013
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2013
Lauren Turner
Lauren Turner marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Halloween ABC 12 Ways to Get to 11 You Be Good & I'll Be Night: Jump-On-The-Bed Poems The Christmas Box Blackberry Ink: Poems