Start by marking “The Inner City Mother Goose” as Want to Read:
The Inner City Mother Goose

The Inner City Mother Goose

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Commenting on political and social issues related to the conditions of the inner city and inner city life, provocative new versions of the classic Mother Goose rhymes, originally published in 1969, are accompanied by new full-color illustrations by the Caldecott Medalist for Smoky Night.
Published May 1st 1996 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing (first published May 1st 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Inner City Mother Goose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Inner City Mother Goose

Simon Goetz
My father read these dark and depressing nursery rhymes to me when I was a small child. It fucked me sideways and twisted me hopeless. I'm am eternally grateful. I'll always consider Eve Merriam my godmother, whether she wants me or not.
Emily Crow
I read this short book of Mother-Goose inspired rhymes while browsing at a used book store today--it is almost compulsively readable, and didn't take long at all to finish. The themes are violence, drugs, welfare lines, and urban poverty, and the "nursery rhyme" format was surprisingly convincing. The book was published in 1969, but still seems relevant today, which is kind of depressing. I didn't buy it because it didn't seem like the sort of thing I'd want to read more than once, but now I kin ...more
Katie
“The Inner City Mother Goose” is a set of poems that are adapted from traditional nursery rhymes to depict the realities of inner-city life. For example, there are poems called “Sing a Song of Subways” (inspired by “Sing a Song of Sixpence”) and “Twelve Rooftops Leaping” (based on “The Twelve Days of Christmas). The book consists of 65 short poems accompanied by a variety of photographs.

One of the most striking things about the poems was the sharp contrast between the childish, simple rhyme stru
Caitlin Schwatka
This was definitely an enlightening read for me. It brings up many of our society's dysfunctional attributes, such as violence, racism, poverty, abuse, etc. What is sad, I realized, is that I wouldn't be comfortable reading this to 8 year olds, even though the reason this was written is because this is every day life for hundreds of 8 year olds, even in the United States.
Sounds: like the original Mother Goose, all these poems are written with a distinct rhythm, almost like a song. They are all
Callie
Nov 19, 2012 Callie added it
Grade/interest level: Middle/High school (grades 6-12)
Reading level: 5.5+
Genre: Poetry

Main Characters: Various
Setting: Various
POV: Various

Summary:
This is a collection of 65 poems that are parodies of original nursery rhymes. The versions presented in this book focus on urban issues such as crime, violence, inadequate housing, unemployment and drug abuse, among many others. The poems are powerful on their own, but even more so when paired with the illustrations.

The illustrations are bright, eye
Tiffiny
One of the stand outs for me is, Take- A- Tour, Take- A- Tour, Congressman.
Iris
Dark, disturbing, and true. Great job.
HeavyReader
Feb 17, 2012 HeavyReader rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: critics of American society
Shelves: poetry
I had forgotten about this book until today when I was looking for another Mother Goose book and this one came up. I think I picked up a copy of this at a Friends of the Library book sale and donated it to the Solidarity library. I have no idea where it is now.

I liked this book a lot. The writing is smart and funny and edgy.
Debbie Hoskins
Although not traditionally what we consider a graphic novel, I think it is an excellent example of using words and pictures to express mature topics. David Diaz's bold illustrations in acrylic are a perfect union with the thought-provoking verses.
Laura Siegel
I know an English teacher who got fired for giving this book to a student back in the '70s. A pretty enlightening look at reality in the inner city.
Michael
More than 40 years old, and so little has changed. Beautifully done, but sad. The introduction to the 1996 edition by Nikki Giovanni is sublime.
Liz
2/24/11 1.5 a little too grim and abruptly grewsome for me.
Dennis
Must read-1
Meaningful-1
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Nicole San
Nicole San marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Ayrton Razo
Ayrton Razo marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Samanda
Samanda marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Sujei
Sujei added it
Dec 14, 2014
Kenna
Kenna marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Kristen-Marie Freeman
Kristen-Marie Freeman marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Halloween ABC 12 Ways to Get to 11 Blackberry Ink: Poems You Be Good & I'll Be Night: Jump-On-The-Bed Poems Ten Rosy Roses