Start by marking “Duncton Tales (Book of Silence, #1)” as Want to Read:
Duncton Tales (Book of Silence, #1)

Duncton Tales (The Book of Silence #1)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  373 ratings  ·  10 reviews
This novel continues the story of a community of moles in Duncton which featured in the books Duncton Wood, Duncton Quest and Duncton Found. In this story a new group of moles has emerged - evangelists, led by a prophet who threatens the liberal tradition of Stone worship.
Unknown Binding, 588 pages
Published October 22nd 1992 by Fontana (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Duncton Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duncton Tales

I have a thing for animal stories. It is no doubt due to the fact that I read Watership Down at a very young age; I read the cover off that book. Most writers that get advertised as heirs to Richard Adams in the genre tend not to live up to the hype. Those that do, like Brian Jacques, tend to tell animal tales in a different way.

William Horwood does and does not do this.

This was the first Duncton book I ever read, even though it is the start of the second Duncton series. I brought when I was in
This is the first book in the trilogy entitled The Book of Silence (and is followed by Duncton Rising and Duncton Stone). It is a continuation of the mole kingdom first explored in the Duncton Chronicles (Duncton Wood, Duncton Quest and Duncton Found) but newcomers to Horwood's cherished series about moles will find no difficulty in keeping up, since the events of the first three books are merely referenced in passing.

In fact, time has moved on by about a century since the time of Duncton Found.
I liked Horwood's mole stories fine, twenty or thirty years ago, and I thought I'd revisit them, but this one seems rather lacking in subtlety, too heavy-handed with the religious themes. Perhaps I'm too old for it.
Stephanie Holt
Most of this book feels like an introduction. It leaves so much to be answered at the end that it is clear he wrote it knowing another book was to follow. I enjoyed meeting some new characters, there were a huge amount of them in this story and also reference to some of the characters in the first series. I am curious about the rest of the story but I am not sure I can handle another tome, the books are SO heavy, and not just physically. There are often times when I skimmed the words because he ...more
Norman Howe
Far from being a purely naturalistic animal tale like Watership Down"," this tale deals with religious cults"," censorship"," bigotry"," tyranny"," and many other subjects which I had not expected. Not for children.
Jun 30, 2010 Anna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: owned
I really loved that book, as much as I did the first Duncton series. I would have given it 5 stars, but it has one annoying thing : there are stories in stories in stories, which is fine if you read the book in one day or two but a bit confusing if you can't. Still a great, great read, full of courage, passion and faith. If you can't believe one can write amazing fantasy with moles as characters, this book is for you.
About halfway through the book I got tired of reading about moles, despite the stellar writing, and I have no wish to find out what happened to Privet, Rooster and the library.
Kathleen Dixon
I think I'm Dunctoned-out. Just couldn't get into this. I think I would have enjoyed it some, if I'd kept reading, but there are Too Many Books To Be Read.
moles can talk and love but their attention span is kinda short.
So good I wrote the author a fan letter!
Amanda added it
Sep 11, 2015
Leila is currently reading it
Sep 22, 2015
Vian Gold
Vian Gold marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Ganesh Kalyansundaram
Ganesh Kalyansundaram marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Bernie marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Bec added it
Aug 18, 2015
Susie Forbes
Susie Forbes marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Jill marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
  • The Forge in the Forest (Winter of the World, #2)
  • Silverhair (Mammoth, #1)
  • Vet in Harness
  • Broken Colors
  • House of Tribes
  • The Last Raven  (Kenneth Aubrey and Patrick Hyde, #7)
  • The High House (The High House #1)
  • The Gnole
  • The First Named (Servants of Ark Trilogy, #1)
  • The Floating Gods
  • Thor
  • The Wandering Unicorn
  • Nightsword (Starshield, #2)
  • The Stone Within (Chung Kuo, #4)
  • The House In Norham Gardens
  • The Cold Moons
  • Ash: A Secret History (Book of Ash, #1-4)
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Eighth Annual Collection

The Book of Silence (3 books)
  • Duncton Rising (Book of Silence, #2)
  • Duncton Stone (Book of Silence, #3)
Duncton Wood (Duncton Chronicles, #1) The Willows in Winter (Tales of the Willows, #1) Duncton Quest (Duncton Chronicles, #2) Duncton Found (Duncton Chronicles, #3) Skallagrigg