Start by marking “Theras and His Town” as Want to Read:
Theras and His Town

Theras and His Town

Young Theras, born an Athenian, is taken to Sparta by a relative when his father is lost at war. He is forced to live like a Spartan, a brutal life with no pity for those who are not physically perfect and totally obedient to Spartan control. After enduring rigorous training and repeated cruel incidents, he escapes with a Perioikoi boy and heads for his beloved Athens. Her ...more
Published January 28th 2002 by American Home-School Publishing (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about Theras and His Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Theras and His Town

Jonathan
Jan 02, 2010 Jonathan rated it did not like it
I don’t often give negative reviews, but here is one: The story is a 5 out of ten, the writing a two. Describe both naked Athenian and Spartan youth as “brown as berries” (several chapters apart)? Put in an aside to reassure readers that a boy that appeared to have died did not, when the death had a plot function and the rescue did not? Qualify Athenians’ worship of Athena by saying the believed in her so fervently that their prayers found their way to the one true God over all? Apparently the ...more
Heather
My kids really enjoyed this. I didn't.

We learned a lot about the difference between Athens and Sparta. The author does a fantastic job there. But even though Theras had a lot of adventures, it was boring. Nothing seemed to happen, even though things were happening. I'm sure that sounds confusing, but it was just blah for the most part.

I kept offering to stop reading it. They always refused.

I think the next time through I may wait until they're old enough to read it on their own instead of readi
Quin
Jan 06, 2016 Quin rated it really liked it
Shelves: school
Theras and his town is an interesting, adventure full story. I would recommend this book for anyone looking for a quick read and enjoys suspense.
Annie Kate
This is an exciting story for tweens and young teens who are studying Greek history. Although it has some moments of tension and even of horror, the ending is happy and goodness is celebrated throughout.

This book includes many myths, legends, and famous Greek characters and clearly shows the difference between Athens and Sparta. As such it is an excellent companion to Famous Men of Greece but it can also stand alone or be used with any other children's history of ancient Greece.

Note that Theras
Stephanie
Dec 16, 2014 Stephanie rated it liked it
This was pretty good, but not great. We liked learning about Athens and Sparta, though the book was pretty heavy on Athens and not so much on Sparta. The writing is not fabulous, though, and we all thought the main character was a bit of a dweeb. He is often crying with glee, jumping up and down, clapping his hands, and acting rather babyish. We thought surely his "Spartan training" later in the book would knock the dweebiness out of him, but alas, no. Even the kids were rolling their eyes durin ...more
Emma Filbrun
Sep 20, 2015 Emma Filbrun rated it it was amazing
When we started reading Theras and His Town a week or two ago, I thought it might be too juvenile for my 11-15-year-olds. They ended up enjoying it, though, and when I offered the choice of reading extra in it, or reading from one of a couple of other books we had going, they wanted to carry on with Theras.

Read my full review here.

LuAnn
Jan 01, 2015 LuAnn rated it really liked it
An enjoyable book that highlights the differences between Athens and Sparta. Snedeker's books' value lie in her research and coverage of Ancient Greece and Rome which is not often portrayed in historical fiction at the middle school level. She depicts the harshness of Spartan society without dwelling on it and the Athenians' love of beauty and the arts in the context of an interesting story with a sympathetic protagonist.
Sydney
Apr 04, 2013 Sydney rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-for-school
I read this book years ago for school and I don't remember it that well, but occasionally bits and pieces of the story will flash through my mind. I thought this book was really neat how it showed the contrast between the Athenians and the Spartans.
Lisa
Jun 17, 2015 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Sonlight Curriculum
Sweet historical novel for young children set in Ancient Athens and Sparta. I would have liked more historical detail, but the way the author weaves action and suspense into her sensitive, simple narrative style makes it perfect for young children.
Leah LaMontagne
Jul 15, 2009 Leah LaMontagne rated it really liked it
As a homeshooled student, this was one of the books I had to read. I really really really enjoyed this book, and it STILL pops back into my memory from time to time. I think this book was the beginning of my love for historical fiction.
Pablo
Feb 20, 2013 Pablo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 6 graders
I had to read this book for my 6th grade class. It was not so bad, OK granted the writing is not that good and there are things that are not really believable in the plot, but come on: It's meant for 13 year old students.
Zoe
Oct 24, 2015 Zoe rated it it was ok
Theras and his town is badly written, including many grammatical errors. I enjoyed the concept, the comparison of Athens and Sparta, how radically different they are. I am glad I read it, but I read it for the idea.
Kara
Jul 21, 2010 Kara rated it really liked it
Very simply but elegantly told. Gives a vivid picture of life for a young boy in Athens versus in Sparta. This book is probably best for about ages 6 to 10, and boys especially will enjoy it.
Amy
Apr 21, 2016 Amy rated it liked it
Read aloud to my kids for school. The purpose was for them to see the contrast between life in Athens and Sparta. They loved it. I thought it was fine.
Tessa
May 31, 2012 Tessa rated it liked it
Shelves: history
My mom read this book aloud to my siblings and me years ago, back when we were studying ancient Greece. I remember us all enjoying it.
Heatherhh
Jan 17, 2013 Heatherhh rated it liked it
Interesting portrayal of life in Athens and then contrasted with Sparta. Good, but not outstanding writing and storytelling.
Ria
Dec 01, 2011 Ria rated it really liked it
I thought this book would be really boring, but it turned out to be one of my favorite school books so far!
Cambria
Jan 21, 2012 Cambria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: greek-history, random
It was so much fun to relive the life of Theras. This is one of my favorite books!!!
Thera
Dec 13, 2011 Thera rated it liked it
Incredibly enjoyable to read and to think about.
Will Van
it ruined it that i had to read it for school.
Jodi
Jun 06, 2016 Jodi rated it liked it
Noelle
Mar 04, 2010 Noelle rated it really liked it
This is pretty good!!
Tif
Jan 23, 2010 Tif rated it really liked it
Great historical fiction for understanding Greek culture, specifically the turmoil between Athens and Sparta told by a 12 year old boy.
Slón
Slón rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Mellody
Mellody marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Douglasbader
Douglasbader rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2016
Caleb Burnham
Caleb Burnham rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2016
Fiona
Fiona added it
Sep 08, 2016
Karl
Karl rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2016
  • Beyond the Desert Gate (Roman Empire Sequence, #4)
  • Mystery of the Roman Ransom