Start by marking “The Insider's Guide to Creating Comics and Graphic Novels” as Want to Read:
The Insider's Guide to Creating Comics and Graphic Novels

The Insider's Guide to Creating Comics and Graphic Novels

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  10 reviews
From the creative minds behind your favorite modern-day comics ...In this unprecedented, behind-the-scenes guide, former Marvel editor and current IDW senior editor Andy Schmidt and his superstar industry friends give you the inside track on creating engaging, professional-looking comic books.

Written for upcoming creative stars and comic book enthusiasts, "The Insider's Gu
Published January 1st 2009 by Impact

Be the first to ask a question about The Insider's Guide to Creating Comics and Graphic Novels

Parka

(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

This isn't a tutorial book that teaches you how to draw, but more of a guide to the process of creating comics. Its goal is to help readers understand what it takes to create them, and the various storytelling techniques employed. It's sort of similar to Stan Lee's How to Draw Comics but presented differently.

The topics covered are the basics such as reading scripts, page layout, camera angles, character acting, pacing, inking, coloring and other stuff. They are
Storm
Growing up I didn't read a lot of comics, it was something I didn't know existed beyond the sunday funnies in the newspaper and reference in cartoons/movies/ect. Now that I got friends who draw the things I've been looking at comics more and more and even started wanting to try my hand at a comic just for laughs. My attempt went terribly, especially where panel placement and organization was concerned! This book explained it all quite well in an 'easy to understand' way that wasn't boring, it al ...more
Greg Allan Holcomb
Of the new books on comics creating (1995- present) this is one of the better (top 3 or 4)books. The insights here aren't for the beginner though.

There's a chapter by Mike Perkins on Inking. [He illustrated my first published work]
There's a chapter by Sotomayer on Colouring. He's currently the best.
Eliopolos talks about computer lettering. I'm not a fan of computer lettering, but he does know lettering theory, so that was good.

I'll be going back to re-read this in the future (after 24Hour Com
Overall a good how-to book. I learned a bunch of new techniques that I'm looking forward to trying out in my own comics. But they probably shouldn't have included 'graphic novels' in the title, as virtually all of the examples featured your typical, grotesquely muscled super heros, and the instructions are geared to traditional comic book work (i.e., separate pencilers, inkers, etc.) rather than indie artists who have to balance all of those steps on their own. If you're not interested in mainst ...more
Jessica
Very informative and helpful book. Great little pieces on different artists and people in the industry.
Todd
I think this is a good book for any new fans who want to learn how comics "work." There are a lot of definitions and instruction about paneling and what goes into a story. With that said, this is not a book that one should look to for drawing instruction. I also recommend this book for those novelists, playwrights, and filmmakers who might incorporate a different perspective.
Vleegoodfellow
An aesthetics focused approach, showing how to interpret and create sequential graphic art. The book covers a large variety of topics in easy to read, short, double-spaced, graphically ordered pages with illustrative pictures. A great reference for writers working with illustrators, just-readers, and amateur illustrators starting out. Well organized and well done!
Mark
Better then most how-to-make-comics books, this book covers many overlooked topics.

However, those topics are only briefly discussed and the examples might intimidate the developing artist.

Notes
A good reference source

Learning Curve
Moderate to High: This book is probably best for more advanced artist.
Christian Holub
A very thorough guide that's made me completely rethink the way I view comics. I ever make it big in the comics business (fingers crossed, people) this book will be one of the reasons why.
Meena
awesome, really enjoyed pacing and time
Brenna
Brenna marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Fábio Graça
Fábio Graça marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Desiree
Desiree marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Kakangpe
Kakangpe marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Dennis
Dennis marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Matthew Fay
Matthew Fay marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Erin Link
Erin Link marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Five Days to Die Star Trek: Motion Picture Trilogy (#2 - #4) G.I. Joe: Future Noir Volume 1 (G. I. Joe (Graphic Novels)) Transformers Spotlight - Metroplex Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan #1 (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn)