Start by marking “The Insider's Guide to Creating Comics and Graphic Novels” as Want to Read:
The Insider's Guide to Creating Comics and Graphic Novels

The Insider's Guide to Creating Comics and Graphic Novels

From the creative minds behind your favorite modern-day comics ...

In this unprecedented, behind-the-scenes guide, former Marvel editor and current IDW senior editor Andy Schmidt and his superstar industry friends give you the inside track on creating engaging, professional-looking comic books.

Written for upcoming creative stars and comic book enthusiasts, The Insider's Gui
Published January 1st 2009 by Impact

Be the first to ask a question about The Insider's Guide to Creating Comics and Graphic Novels

Parka
Jul 25, 2011 Parka rated it really liked it

(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

This isn't a tutorial book that teaches you how to draw, but more of a guide to the process of creating comics. Its goal is to help readers understand what it takes to create them, and the various storytelling techniques employed. It's sort of similar to Stan Lee's How to Draw Comics but presented differently.

The topics covered are the basics such as reading scripts, page layout, camera angles, character acting, pacing, inking, coloring and other stuff. They are
Storm
Oct 22, 2013 Storm rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Growing up I didn't read a lot of comics, it was something I didn't know existed beyond the sunday funnies in the newspaper and reference in cartoons/movies/ect. Now that I got friends who draw the things I've been looking at comics more and more and even started wanting to try my hand at a comic just for laughs. My attempt went terribly, especially where panel placement and organization was concerned! This book explained it all quite well in an 'easy to understand' way that wasn't boring, it al ...more
Greg Allan Holcomb
Sep 09, 2010 Greg Allan Holcomb rated it really liked it
Of the new books on comics creating (1995- present) this is one of the better (top 3 or 4)books. The insights here aren't for the beginner though.

There's a chapter by Mike Perkins on Inking. [He illustrated my first published work]
There's a chapter by Sotomayer on Colouring. He's currently the best.
Eliopolos talks about computer lettering. I'm not a fan of computer lettering, but he does know lettering theory, so that was good.

I'll be going back to re-read this in the future (after 24Hour Com
Jan 22, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
Overall a good how-to book. I learned a bunch of new techniques that I'm looking forward to trying out in my own comics. But they probably shouldn't have included 'graphic novels' in the title, as virtually all of the examples featured your typical, grotesquely muscled super heros, and the instructions are geared to traditional comic book work (i.e., separate pencilers, inkers, etc.) rather than indie artists who have to balance all of those steps on their own. If you're not interested in mainst ...more
Todd
Oct 11, 2011 Todd rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-general
I think this is a good book for any new fans who want to learn how comics "work." There are a lot of definitions and instruction about paneling and what goes into a story. With that said, this is not a book that one should look to for drawing instruction. I also recommend this book for those novelists, playwrights, and filmmakers who might incorporate a different perspective.
Vleegoodfellow
Nov 23, 2011 Vleegoodfellow rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
An aesthetics focused approach, showing how to interpret and create sequential graphic art. The book covers a large variety of topics in easy to read, short, double-spaced, graphically ordered pages with illustrative pictures. A great reference for writers working with illustrators, just-readers, and amateur illustrators starting out. Well organized and well done!
Mark
Apr 14, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-books
Better then most how-to-make-comics books, this book covers many overlooked topics.

However, those topics are only briefly discussed and the examples might intimidate the developing artist.

Notes
A good reference source

Learning Curve
Moderate to High: This book is probably best for more advanced artist.
Jessica
Jan 29, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
Very informative and helpful book. Great little pieces on different artists and people in the industry.
Christian Holub
Apr 03, 2009 Christian Holub rated it liked it
A very thorough guide that's made me completely rethink the way I view comics. I ever make it big in the comics business (fingers crossed, people) this book will be one of the reasons why.
Tiffany Kramer
Nov 18, 2014 Tiffany Kramer rated it liked it
The Insider's Guide offers some helpful information but like most how-to books I didn't find myself enjoying the reading experience.
Brian
Brian rated it it was ok
Feb 14, 2016
Melinda Fisher
Melinda Fisher rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2017
Steven
Steven rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Vanessa Hutchinson
Vanessa Hutchinson rated it it was ok
Oct 06, 2012
Najin
Najin rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2015
Lee
Lee rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2012
Samantha
Samantha rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2009
Pete Collings
Pete Collings rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2014
Nic Montemayor
Nic Montemayor rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2015
Joey
Joey rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2013
Frank
Frank rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2014
David Brzezinski
David Brzezinski rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2011
Adam B
Adam B rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2013
Meena
May 07, 2011 Meena rated it liked it
awesome, really enjoyed pacing and time
Alice
Alice rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2016
Rob
Rob rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2014
Loso Perez
Loso Perez rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2016
Aspi
Aspi rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2009
E.W. Pierce
E.W. Pierce rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2012
Gary Ammirati
Gary Ammirati rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2016