Start by marking “Fourteen: Growing Up Alone In A Crowd” as Want to Read:
Fourteen: Growing Up Alone In A Crowd

Fourteen: Growing Up Alone In A Crowd

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Originally published by Basic Books: 2002.
Published May 14th 2003 by Basic Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Fourteen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fourteen

Dicelle Reyes
picked up randomly at a public library when I was supposed to be studying. A very interesting look into the stresses of having a huge family. Not always as happy as one would think.
Kristie
This was an interesting account of a family with 14 children. How I wish it was a happy tale, one of togetherness and love, but it was quite the opposite for the most part.

I finished the book with a feeling of regret that the author and his siblings didn't get the love they needed or deserved. And I realized how lucky I am.
Cathy
The early and late chapters had promise, but there was a lot of rambling to much of the book.
Mike
I found this book to be very interesting in light of our society's recent fascination with large families. Zanichowsky's story puts large families into a very real perspective. The friction in the household is palpable as children and it clearly followed them into adulthood. I enjoyed his writing style and the fact that he is a pseudo-local writer (Southern Maine) seemed to enhance the connection as I read.
Jessica
Memoir about #8 of 14 kids in an abusive Catholic family. The story here is interesting but not all that well written. Straightforward and honest- almost disturbingly. (Masturbating to thoughts of sisters?) Enough closure to end the book but not to satisfy.
Jj
I found the author to be very whiny and self-centered, and the story meandered on and on with few conclusions or insight.
The constant negativity was depressing (and altogether too conceited), and I found myself continuing to read just to get it over with.
Fzap9
If you grew up in a large family, you will find a lot of correlation in Stephen and his family. The family unit and so much unspoken words that can leave one's soul and relationship to other vacant and stronger with others.
Tori
Jul 25, 2011 Tori added it
2010- This was a rather depressing book of a large family's trials and troubles. Much of the writing seemed like the author trying to heal by discussing his issues with his father.
Cheryl Schibley
If you've ever wanted to know what it like growing up in a family so large that people don't know each other - then read this book. It's an amazing story.
Karen
quite interesting, although I wish Stephen had presented more of his siblings' feelings. It's an interesting explanation of himself, though.
Dree
Interesting, but it kind of petered out rather than ended.
Carol
Sep 13, 2008 Carol rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Carol by: Mom
Ok. Not great. A lot of words, not a lot of story.
Patrick
insightful but depressing
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Sherry
Sherry added it
Feb 14, 2015
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Jenn Fink- kane
Jenn Fink- kane marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Cora
Cora marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Rick Cano
Rick Cano marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014