Start by marking “One Tough Mother: 10 No-Guilt Ways to Stand Firm and Be the Mom” as Want to Read:
One Tough Mother: 10 No-Guilt Ways to Stand Firm and Be the Mom

One Tough Mother: 10 No-Guilt Ways to Stand Firm and Be the Mom

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Moms get a lot of advice from TV shows, magazines, friends, their own mothers, and more. But all of this well-meaning counsel tends to paralyze moms. They worry about their children's self-esteem, their health, and whether or not their children like them. They even agonize over scrapbooking every moment of development. Julie Barnhill says, "Enough already " Unapologeticall ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Revell

To ask other readers questions about One Tough Mother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Tough Mother

Nov 21, 2008 Kristen is currently reading it
I heard Julie Barnhill speak at last year's MOPS convention and I LOVED her! She is so funny, yet down-to-earth and honest about what it's like to be a mom. I am learning so much about what kind of mom I want to be and a few things I need to do to get there!
Loved this book. It gives you a mommy confidence boost. My only, and biggest, complaint is that there wasn't enough "how-to" to the book. Great, we are supposed to say no firmly. And what if that doesn't work? If Murle (mentioned in the beginning) was so tough, and yet doesn't spank or do time outs, then what does she do when a child misbehaves? I can say no very firmly and my kids don't always listen. I picked up this book in order to fix that and I didn't walk away with anything helpful in reg ...more
I love Julie Barnhill having read her magazine articles and seeing her speak twice. She always is very direct, down to earth, and no-nonsense but also relatable in weaknesses and mistakes. I loved this book about having backbone as a mother but also remembering that success doesn't come without failure and that the true backbone is our faith. Some of my favorite chapters/non-negotiables: "Say No Like You Mean It", "Get a Hobby Other Than Your Kid", "Facing Your Giants", and "You Are Only A Failu ...more
Brenda Wharton
Judy has a great sense of humor and many good examples of how to step up and be the mom. Let your yes be yes and when you say no, then mean it.
I've just started reading this, but so far, it seems like a very good read! Julie is very funny and real in her writing. I think that I thought I was a One Tough Mother, but I'm seeing that I have been letting some things slide. Her advice is very practical and seems easy to put into practice. I'll update my review when I finish the book.
A funny book and it had some good ideas in it, but it mostly felt like whatever you do as a parent is right. I was looking for some more solid advise. I think that is why it took me so long to finish the book. It was, however, nice to read that it is OK to lose your mind at times and that it doesn't make you a bad parent.
Aug 06, 2008 Beverly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: moms of all ages
Funny, down to earth reading. I laughed out loud at some of her stories--because they are so true! Don't know how applicable younger mothers might find this book, but they can certainly learn from it. Wish I'd had it as a young mom. I would love to be friends with Julie Barnhill! She seems like a lot of fun.
I loved this book! It was encouraging, funny, and fully acknowledged how hard motherhood is. I appreciated not getting any magic formulas for perfect kids or getting a measuring stick for how I'm doing as a mother. The gist of it was to ourselves some slack, rely on God and trust in His grace.
Not as tough as she seems -- not your usual "beat your kids" Christian parenting manifesto either. I have to give her credit -- her writing is entertaining enough that I read this book even though she (1) chose not to breastfeed and (2) loves Fox News. That's saying a lot!
Nicole Handy
This book was not what I expected when I heard her on Weekend Edition of Focus on the Family. It was more about convincing mothers to stand up and be tough, not necessarily giving specific of her suggestions was to not let yourself go (my words).
I LOVE Julie Barnhill - I have heard her speak twice at Hearts at Home. She is absolutely hilarious and it is so fun to listen to her stories. I just don't think this was the right book for me. I have two more of hers out from the library to read.
Apr 25, 2009 NancyInWI rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mother's who are dealing with difficult children
Recommended to NancyInWI by: the author, met her at a Hearts At Home conference
Shelves: non-fiction
I bought this from the author at a Hearts at Home conference. I had been to her workshop, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The author gives down-to-earth advice with a touch of mirth thrown in.
Dec 02, 2010 Di rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All mothers
This is an excellent guide to stepping up and being the mother! Loving but firm discipline and having what it takes to be a confident mother.
Good, not really a pray kinda mom but gives really good tips. Some I already have learned on my own and some I learned through reading.
I thought that this would provide more how to tips, but the one thing it did do was boost my confidence.
There were some good nuggets in here. I think it was worth the read, but I wouldn't go buy it for everyone.
Katie Gamble
Enjoyable, funny, nothing heavy, but occasionally contains practical applications.
Not tough enough....
Missy marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Tricia Rosas
Tricia Rosas marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Debbie marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Joannne marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
Donna Cantrell
Donna Cantrell marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Sametra Dewitt
Sametra Dewitt marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015