Start by marking “Prophecy” as Want to Read:
Prophecy

Prophecy

3.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  193 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Twenty years ago..Fact: 100,000 people were wiped out in Minamata, Japan. Cause: A chemical neurotoxin. Effect: Sickness..Madness..Death. Source: Water. Now, in Manatee County, Maine..Biological changes are beginning to occur. People are sick. Their minds are confused. Children are born dead..born deformed. And a family of campers has been found dead, mutilated by some ind ...more
Published June 12th 1979 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 1979)

Graham
Jun 09, 2009 Graham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, monster
A good, solid pulp read. Seltzer wrote THE OMEN, so he knows what he's doing, and he creates a fine story of a rampaging monster with a scientific/technical edge that reminded me of Michael Crichton. This is a universe grounded in believable reality, where we learn about the workings of a paper mill and pollution, not the kind of slim and trashy pulp fare of the same era by Guy N. Smith.

Seltzer's characterisation is less remarkable, but sufficient for a novel of this scope. There's something unp
Tiffany
those five stars aren't because it's a great book; it's because I rate my campy horror novels on their level of silliness, and this one is pretty silly. but I still really enjoyed it.
Mark Speed
Sep 18, 2014 Mark Speed rated it really liked it
This book did the rounds when I was at school, hence it earns four stars. The author clearly knows how to deal with a story of this ilk. Personally I didn't find it that horrific or impressive, but I was an early Green and it gave me something to focus on. You have to admire the guy for being able to push the buttons from scene to scene - you know there'll be a romance, etc. Four stars for motivating people to change for the better.

(I now recognise that a lot of what is supposedly Green is hogwa
Doctor Edward Diesel
Find out the true evolution of South Park's "Man-bear-pig" right here, folks! Step right up!
Bob
Aug 13, 2014 Bob rated it it was amazing
A well-written book that is now even more strangely prophetic. Great characters and tense action with very few stereotypes make a novel that is very hard to put down.
Michael
Oct 15, 2012 Michael rated it liked it
When I nabbed this for a reading class in high school, I had no idea what it was about, who wrote it, etc... I read through it and was actually impressed. Even now it would stand up as a horror novel... YES a giant mutated bear killing campers MAY not appeal to today's MORE violent media... BUT in today's eco conscious world, the story holds up. ODDLY enough while telling my mom about the story, she went "I've seen that movie, has Robert Foxworth and Talia Shire in it"... AND wouldn't you know i ...more
Stephen
Apr 14, 2012 Stephen rated it liked it
Hokey at times, this is a fun read about a freakish aberration of nature that terrorizes a swath of land in upstate Maine, the result of man-made environmental degradation from a local timber pulp mill. The author is David Seltzer, a Hollywood screenwriter that penned the Omen as well. Published in 1979, its funny to read as it blatantly uses the then burgeoning environmental movement to revamp the "monster movie" theme. Not great, but not too bad.
Sheila
Apr 10, 2013 Sheila rated it liked it
This is a book that I just remembered from my teenage years. For some reason the title just popped into my head, with memories of a giant mutant bear like creature, so I had to go in search of the book to add to my "read" list. I remember this was pretty gory and pretty scary, at least for me when I was a young teen. If I recall correctly, it was also made into a movie calle Prophecy:The Monster Movie. It was scary B-movie, monstor horror.
Zachary Thompson
Apr 02, 2015 Zachary Thompson rated it it was amazing
I give it 5 stars because I read this book as a child and it freaked me the f%¢k out! I still have the book, it was my grandmother's, given to her by my aunt. It is paperback without a cover, but I love it! I don't know if I should read it again.
Ok I will...maybe.

Ps...It is funny to me now that I know who wrote it. Bird on a wire? ...Wild man wild!
Cerjio Ramone
Aug 18, 2015 Cerjio Ramone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un libro que devoré, me atrapó de principio a fin.
Además de ''lo fantástico'' de la historia; Seltzer creo que quizo que abrieramos los ojos y veamos la injusticia contra los pueblos originarios, la falta de respeto y responsabilidad del hombre blanco provocaron la tragedia narrada. Una puta obra de arte, y cuidado con el Katahdin.
Callie
Apr 12, 2011 Callie rated it really liked it
Kept my attention. I loved the sections where Rob was thinking through the scientific aspects of his investigation and how they conflicted with outside influences. The author definitely did his research.
Jaime Contreras
This is a mindless monster novel with a lot of fantasy thrown in for good meadure. in the end, it will scare you but it is highly inplausible.
LKM
Sep 16, 2008 LKM rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I took a little to get into it as the beginning seemed to me a little slow, but it was a good book nonetheless.
Mariska
OMG! This was one really crazy book. Espacially the last part.
But I am really happy with the ending :D
Lavell
It was adventurous and kinda scary. It was predictable ,but still worth reading.
Courtney Amber Hill
Courtney Amber Hill marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Mrs Borden
Mrs Borden rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2016
Paula
Paula rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2016
Erik Duran
Erik Duran marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Rebekah Grace
Rebekah Grace rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Lili
Lili marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
LollyStitchin
LollyStitchin rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Greg Thompson
Greg Thompson marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Paul Johnson
Paul Johnson rated it liked it
May 28, 2016
Lautaro Diaz Alegre
Lautaro Diaz Alegre marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Cyndi
Cyndi marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Eamon
Eamon marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
  • Night of the Living Dead: Behind the Scenes of the Most Terrifying Zombie Movie Ever
  • Damon
  • The Burrowers Beneath
  • Kat Kong
  • Phantom
  • Batman Begins
  • Kubrick: Inside a Film Artist's Maze
  • Day of the Starwind (Last Legionary, #3)
  • Amityville: The Final Chapter
  • Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
  • Big Fish
  • The Fog
  • Procyon's Promise
  • A Woggle of Witches
  • Famine
  • The Carbon Age: How Life's Core Element Has Become Civilization's Greatest Threat
  • The Making of Kubrick's 2001
  • Armageddon Science: The Science of Mass Destruction
David Seltzer (born 1940) is an American screenwriter, producer and director, perhaps best known for writing The Omen (1976),[1] and Bird on a Wire (1990). As writer-director, Seltzer's credits include the 1986 teen tragi-comedy Lucas starring Corey Haim, Charlie Sheen and Winona Ryder,[2] the 1988 comedy Punchline starring Sally Field and Tom Hanks, and 1992's Shining Through starring Melanie Gri ...more
More about David Seltzer...