Start by marking “I am Not Spock” as Want to Read:
I am Not Spock

I am Not Spock

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  512 ratings  ·  61 reviews

To a watching world he is the logical, powerful, stalwart first officer of the Starship Enterprise – the adored object of millions of Star Trek fans.
For 3 years, 12 hours a day, 5 days a week, he functioned as the half-human, half-Vulcan Mr. Spock, an extraterrestrial. He is not. He is Leonard Nimoy. An actor. A teacher. A writer. A father. A husband. A rea
Mass Market Paperback, 136 pages
Published November 12th 1979 by Del Rey (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about I am Not Spock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I am Not Spock

I Am Spock by Leonard NimoyI am Not Spock by Leonard NimoyStar Trek Memories by William ShatnerFrom Sawdust to Stardust by Terry Lee RiouxUp Till Now by William Shatner
Where No Man Has Gone Before
2nd out of 21 books — 19 voters
Stories I Only Tell My Friends by Rob LoweMe by Katharine HepburnNever Have Your Dog Stuffed by Alan AldaMommie Dearest by Christina CrawfordBy Myself and Then Some by Lauren Bacall
Celebrity Biography
341st out of 537 books — 172 voters

More lists with this book...

I am a fan of Star Trek, in particular the original series movies. I've also had occasion to listen to Mr. Nimoy speak twice, so I was looking forward to reading this infamously titled autobiography. I wasn't disappointed, and the 'voice' in the book matched up with my expectations for the most part. Not a heavy ready, it's a pretty slim book, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. I don't know that I'd recommend it to the rabid Trekkie, since it really isn't focused on the series. I'm about to start on ...more
Marisabel Bonet-Cruz
I first read this book in Mt. Hotham, in 2008, after searching for a copy of what was, then, an out of print book. I re-read the book on a camping trip in Narbethong in 2013, just as the new 'Star Trek' movies were touching new audiences. Zachary Quinto plays Spock now, and not Leonard Nimoy. Still, I remember the happiness with which I opened this book, my version being the one with the black cover. Reading this book, in which Nimoy would explain his ideas and opinions about the character he's ...more
Sep 09, 2007 Tracey rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans who'd like to know a little more about the actors behind the characters
Picked up I Am Not Spock a few weeks ago at a used book store.

Despite the title, Nimoy writes of his alter-ego and the time spent in the Star Trek world with fondness. The memoir starts out semi-chronologically, but then veers off into varying topics, including reminiscences of his acting career before and after Star Trek and reproductions of some correspondence he had with the writers and producers of the series. Readers expecting an autobiography will be a little disappointed, I think.

Allyson Elizabeth
This book seemed like he rushed through the writing of it. The stories of his experiences were not as fleshed out, and the segues between said stories needed some work. When he begins talking about his experiences working on Fiddler on the Roof - it is touching and you seem to get more of an understanding of his Jewish heritage. This was the best part of the book. However, I think the book that follows this (I am Spock) is much better written. Some of the stories from this book are repeated in t ...more
John Yelverton
A very refreshing autobiography, that does not shy away from the fact that the only reason that anyone is picking up this book, is because they love "Star Trek". Leonard Nimoy spends several chapters giving the reader what he wants, while very quietly and unobtrusively discusses things that interest the author as well.
I really only read this because I wanted to be able to compare and contrast the opinions of 70's Nimoy with that of 90's Nimoy. This isn't a bad book (at times it does get a little pedantic), but Nimoy isn't far enough along in his journey to have enough perspective yet. My guess is that I'll enjoy I Am Spock a lot more.

The book is most interesting viewed as a relic from a time when Star Trek was as yet still only a brief, almost forgotten memory kept alive solely by reruns and obscure, under
J.W. Braun
Nimoy's first memoir, by his own admission has a misleading title. The book isn't really about him separating himself from his Vulcan alter-ego. (It's evident when reading the book that unlike what people thought when the book was published in the 70s, the title isn't so much Nimoy telling people he's not Spock; it's more Nimoy telling himself he's something more.)

At any rate, Nimoy took all the best parts from this book and put them in his second memoir, "I Am Spock". There's really no need to
Ironically, the author approaches the presentation in a manner befitting the character that he purports not to be; initially, in a logical and cogent manner that is well thought-out and written. What follows is part-master class on how the character was created by the actor, as well as through collaboration with make-up personnel, production staff, and co-stars.

Interspersed is also a part-memoir of encounters and opportunities that presented themselves as a result of his portrayal as the chief s
This book was written in the early 1970's, before the Star Trek phenomenon really began to take off. At the time, Nimoy was trying to shed the typecast image of being Mr. Spock, hence the title of the book. I can remember him appearing on daytime television game shows and the subject came up. Therefore, this book is not a retrospective of his three years filming Star Trek the original series but a description of the years immediately after.
His work as a director has demonstrated his talents and
Ian Banks
Reread it this morning after hearing of Mr Nimoy's death.

Some folks only look at the title and think of this as a dismissal of Nimoy's most famous role. But he admits that Spock brought him opportunities he wouldn't have had available to him. It was interesting to read about how he felt like he had a home after fifteen or so years as a jobbing actor and how he defended his character and the actions of him in the show to the writers and producers. Also interesting are the details of how his caree
It is no surprise that Leonard Nimoy became so popular in his role as Spock. From deep introspection about the role, to dialoging with the character, to sending memos to the production team about character inconsistencies in the scripts, Nimoy was totally immersed in his character. This book, published 5 years after the last Star Trek episode aired, could have been titled, “I Am Not Always Spock,” as much of it deals with Nimoy’s hand-on approach to this character, and Star Trek behind-the-scene ...more
Daniel Currie
Altho it isn't listed on Goodreads, I assure you I listened to the unabridged audiobook version (Which the author does not narrate).

I wasn't sure what to expect going into this. It was done in 1975 so wasn't sure what his perspective would have been at that point. But he does seem to have had a pretty good handle on the whole Star Trek thing, even tho they hadn't even started in on the movie franchise or spin-offs.

He goes back and forth quite a lot during the book, talking about Star Trek, then
My cousin sent me this book about a year ago and it's been sitting on my shelf for awhile. I have wanted to read it for awhile because, being a Star Trek fan, I had read an interview with Leonard Nimoy who talked about how he did not realize what the reaction would be because he had written this book.

Nimoy has a very interesting wit. This book talks about his life before, during and directly after Star Trek (this was published before the movies). He felt he was able to "get into character" bette
This was not at all what I expected.
From the title and from the books reputation, I expected this to be along the lines of Alec Guiness (understandably) spouting off about how he loathed Star Wars and Obi Wan Kenobi.
Of course Alec Guiness was a FAR more accomplished actor at the time he played Obiwan, than was Mr Nimoy at the time he first played Spock, but the things I had heard about this book before reading it, made me go in expecting it to be that way.

Instead it was the story of a guy, who u

Written in 1975, he marvels at the intense interest in a series more
Well...the title says "I am not Spock," but most of this book is Leonard Nimoy aligning the real person with the fictional one. There is one (appropriately) bizarre section where Leonard Nimoy "interviews" Dr. Spock. It's not often you witness someone interview themselves! Of course, the late Leonard Nimoy seemed like a good guy and for whatever criticisms there may be (e.g., this book is simply kind of boring), he comes across that way here.

For hardcore fans only.

Now, off to "I am Spock"!
Un libro corto, extrañamente entretenido.
Supongo que en la década de los 70, los memoir eran mucho más cortos que ahora. Disfruté muchas partes, en especial cuando habla de cómo la crítica recibió sus libros de poesía y el incidente con las plumas.

Vale la pena cada minuto. Creo que mi única queja es eso mismo, que es muy corto.

Tengo entendido que en sus últimos años, Nimoy escribió el I am Spock, en contrapunto y haciendo pases con todo.

It took me a while to get into this book, but once I did I really enjoyed it. I was particularly interested in how Nimoy perceived his role as Spock in the context of the show's scripts (developing his character), as well as Star Trek itself and what was happening in the world at the time. This quote resonated with me: "Most people are so busy doing what they must do that they never have the opportunity to find out what they can do." A, if you'll pardon the pun, fascinating read. LLAP
Sadie-jane (sj) alexis nunis
I'm going to look out for his follow up. This gave great insights to him having to deal with Mr spock/Leonard nimoy situation. He so evolved Mr spock that everyone kept seeing them as one and the same. I particularly liked the nimoy/spock conversations.

saw a few reviews that mentioned I am spock has elaborated more on some of the stories here.. will check it out.

geeks check this out.
Alex Daniel
A short book written by the director of THREE MEN AND A BABY.

Some interesting content re: dealing with success, interesting glimpse of what it is like to be famous for a character that is very different from your own. The fake back-and-forth between Nimoy and Spock is interesting, but ultimately serves to fill space of a book that is already quite short.
If Leonard Nimoy could go back in time to retitle this book, I'm sure he would. It caused a lot of hard feelings at the time. It is really a decent little autobiography and examination of an actor's relationship to the character he has been identified with since the mid-sixties. He later wrote a sequel entitled "I Am Spock", a fitting complementary volume.
A very interesting view though the eyes of Leonard Nimoy only a few years after Star Trek went off the air. I find it almost hard to comprehend his position that Star Trek was done and over, and that he would love to distance him self from Spock. I look forward to jumping ahead 20 years in his life and reading "I am Spock".
I enjoyed this look into Nimoy's mind. It wasn't much more than a peek, but it encapsulated perfectly the mental state he was in at the time. How unsettled.

Also, I thought it a perfect showcase of how much it took out of him and his life and relationships to play Spock. The character basically took over his life, and this book details his struggle with that. I think reading this might it easier to understand some of the crazier and/or more rebellious decisions he's made over the years.

Nimoy is a
Joan Concilio
It's interesting that I picked up this book 2 nights ago from a pile of unreads to start after finishing my current read, which I did today about 3 hours before Leonard Nimoy's passing. Well worth a read - brutally honest and full of observations that will make you think. Rest in peace, Mr. Nimoy.
This book was about how he tried to distance himself from being typecast as Spock. He worked after Star Trek tv series and the movies, he was a director, he narrated things, he did science tv shows. Then he wrote another book called I AM Spock. Too funny.
This was slow going to start, but I stuck with it as it is a short book and was rewarded. Amusing stories about his dealings with Desi-lu while on Star Trek and his moving on to Mission Impossible and other acting jobs.
Stephanie "Jedigal"
Aug 22, 2008 Stephanie "Jedigal" rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Trek or Nimoy fans, anyone interested in acting
I had picked up a bargain-price copy of "I Am Spock", and was very glad to find a copy of "I Am NOT Spock" at a bookfair recently. A huge sale where I only ever see a small fraction of the books, and I lucked upon it. YES!

So.... now it is finished. Relatively short (+), tends to wander a bit (-) even though it is apparent that Nimoy has imposed some structure to his thoughts, it seems to be a candid (+) taste of Nimoy's early professional acting career. A nice insight into the mind of an actor.
Mr. Nimoy is either an incredible writer, or he had an incredible ghost writer. This was a great book, easy to read, lots of entertaining insights for even the moderate Star Trek fan.
Cathrine Bonham
This book was very interesting though obviously not as complete as the much later "I am Spock."

This book is really more about the creation of the character spock and Nimoy's own philosophy about acting. And in that context I find the Title quite Logical.

Leonard Nimoy is not Spock or more acurately he is not Spock all the time. He is a character actor who really believes in getting into character.

So if you are a Nimoy fan

Or more likely a Trek fan

or possibly you are just interested in acting.

• Beyond Uhura: Star Trek and Other Memories
  • Star Trek Memories
  • To the Stars
  • Beam Me Up, Scotty
  • From Sawdust to Stardust: The Biography of DeForest Kelley
  • The Price of the Phoenix (Star Trek Adventures, #4)
  • The Trouble with Tribbles
  • Ishmael (Star Trek: The Original Series, #23)
  • Mudd in Your Eye
  • Death's Angel (Star Trek Adventures, #15)
  • Devil World (Star Trek Adventures, #12)
  • My Enemy, My Ally (Star Trek: Rihannsu, #1)
  • Inside Star Trek: The Real Story (Star Trek)
  • Star Trek Star Fleet Technical Manual
  • Killing Time
  • The View from the Bridge: Memories of Star Trek and a Life in Hollywood
  • The Klingon Dictionary
  • The Eugenics Wars, Vol. 2: The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh (Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars, #2)
Jewish-American actor, film director, poet, musician and photographer.

He was best known for playing the character of Spock on Star Trek, an American television series that ran for three seasons from 1966 to 1969, in addition to several movie sequels.
More about Leonard Nimoy...