Start by marking “Clubbed to Death (Dead-End Job Mystery, #7)” as Want to Read:
Clubbed to Death (Dead-End Job Mystery, #7)

Clubbed to Death (A Dead-End Job Mystery #7)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  838 ratings  ·  48 reviews
national bestselling author viets reveals the lifestyles of the rich and murdered...

In the Superior Club's complaint department, Helen Hawthorne has to deal with the rich and spoiled. Then her deadbeat ex-husband sails back into her life aboard the yacht of his new lady-known as the "Black Widow" because of her string of dead spouses. When Helen's ex goes missing, she fea
Published May 5th 2009 by Signet (first published May 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Clubbed to Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clubbed to Death

Gail
I have gotten a little annoyed with Helen, the heroine of the Dead-end job mysteries. She has a great, handsome boyfriend who thinks Clapton is god, a lot of good quirky friends, and a good life. All she does is obssess about her asinine ex-husband. Her dead-end job is a little better paying which means she's more in debt because of the clothes and car. She works for the Superior country club in the customer care unit, fielding complaints from rich, spoiled people.
Anyway, there's a happy ending
Diane
I was looking for a light, fluffy mystery and this fit the bill. I didn't realize it was part of a series, but it didn't seem to matter that I hadn't read the earlier books. This is no P.D. James novel in terms of complexity or writing, and the mystery was easy to solve, but it provided a fun mindless read.
Lynn
Fun. I am looking for the other books in the series as we speak.
Reacherfan
This very average entry in the Dead-End Job series was much better than her recent Josie Marcus mystery, but they shared a lot in common. Helen Hawthorne married the wrong man and while supporting him as he 'looked for work', she caught him in the sack with another woman. She gets taken to the cleaners in her divorce and decides to never pay the bum a cent. She quits her job and goes on the run working minimum wage jobs all over, but mostly in Florida. Now she's sort of settled in, has a boyfrie ...more
Ellen
Creative and original, December 16, 2011
By Ellen Rappaport
This review is from: Clubbed to Death: A Dead-End Job Mystery (Hardcover)
I've read all of the Dead End Jobs series so far and am astonished at this author's creativity. This particular book is no exception. I enjoyed all of it and appreciated how Elaine worked in Helen's ex to the possibility of his demise. Margery, Helen's landlady, played a role but much more subdued in my opinion, as were the tenants in apt. 2C. Nothing was over do
Lori Whitwam
Helen has been on the run for years, hiding out in south Florida doing dead-end jobs and staying out of public record. Several years earlier, she'd come home from her high-stress, high-pay job and found her shiftless husband cheating on her with a neighbor. She beat the snot out of his fancy SUV (which she had bought him) with a crow bar. Divorce ensued, but she got the short end when the judge ordered her to pay half her future earnings to the deadbeat Rob. So she ran, makes nothing, and refuse ...more
Kristen
In the 7th installment of the Helen Hawthorne Dead-End series by Elaine Viets, Helen ended up in another quandary of their own in Clubbed to Death. We find Helen working in the complaint department of the local country club, dealing with the gripes of the rich and the spoiled. Then her ex Rob had located her and sailed aboard a yacht with his new wife Marcella, the "Black Widow. The next day Rob ended up missing, while Helen ended up arrested. Marcella released Helen, while they team up to form ...more
VJ
I'm never sleeping on a hotel bedspread again and I think I will make sure to tip the maids if I stay with my parents more than 1 night in any room.

That being said, this book was crazy hilarious in the tradition I've come to expect from this author. The descriptions of society people and how they treat those fallen from their standing due to divorce or financial difficulty seems to be too kind.

I like how Helen realizes she needs to be careful to not be negatively influenced and that she doesn'
Re
This was one of the better of Viets' series, or at least I enjoyed it at a high level. Now, I am looking forward to her next book ! I believe it is already out, though have not checked that. I believe one of her Josie series is due out in November. I've read about 2 of each of her series, previous to this book. I'd read how her books were 'formulaic' though haven't read them close enough to one another to be able to 'buy' that. This was a highly enjoyable mystery, and well-thought out, I believe ...more
Ed
#7 in the Dead End Job series. Helen's despicable ex-husband, from whom she has been hiding for the last 6 books, reappears to add spice to this entry.

Dead End Job series - Helen Hawthorne, a "customer care" clerk at the snobbish Superior Club is dismayed to run into her ex in the parking lot. Rob fears for his life and Helen hits him. Fellow employee, Brenda is a witness and gets Helen fired. The authorities view Helen as a suspect after Rob disappears. Someone beats Brenda to death and Helen h
Chelsea
2.5 to be exact. I enjoyed the mystery part, but I couldn't relate to the main character...at all. Plus, it took her a good 100 pages to decide to start "sleuthing" and figure out the "case" on her own...I'm used to the main character being yes, new to detective work, but read and willing to hop right in and get going. This really dragged at the beginning. But the plot was decent. It had some funny parts...not sure I'd read any more of this series, but maybe one of her other regular mysteries??? ...more
Mascanlon
Aug 17, 2008 Mascanlon rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: humorous mystery lovers
This is the newest in the Dead-End-Job mysteries. Helen lives on the lam and working wherever she can earn a paycheck. In this outing, her ex-husband, the cause of her running away sails back into her life aboard the the yacht of his new wife. Of course, in her first run in with the low life Rob, Helen socks him in the nose and the next day he's gone missing. Straightening it all out is good fun with the a cast of colorful south Florida characters helping out.
Rachel
Helen Hawthorne just started working in the customer care office of a country club. Her exhusband and his rich new wife, known as the black widow due to all of her dead husbands, show up at the club the her exhusband Rob ends up missing and Helen is the main suspect. I like Helen but think the author is a bit unrealistic about how people can survive on minimum wage.
Connie
When Helen is accused of her ex-husband's murder, she decides she must play detective and find him because she doesn't believe he's really dead. Along the way, she finds other bodies and almost gets killed herself. A light read for those days you just want to read and relax.

FTC disclosure: I bought my copy of this book.
Linda

I've enjoyed the series so far. Is her obsession with the ex husband finally over? The last two books I was ready to stop because I couldn't take Helen's focus on the ex and not being honest with Phil. Now that this one ended the way it did, I am ready for the next in the series.
Diane
Oct 29, 2008 Diane rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
I learned that I can not stand any longer to read books in which the female lead is a ditz with a low IQ who is only happy when the man of her dreams is with her/wants to marry her. Think of a cheap thriller where the girl is opening the door to the killer. For 264 pages.

Gretchen
A light beach read about a girl who is being hounded by her ex to give him alimony. She takes dead-end jobs to avoid paying him anything; goes from driving a Lexus to a clunker,solves and finds love and friends in a Florida apartment complex. Frothy
Kimberly
I hope Rob is gone for good. I'm getting tired of listening to Helen defend him and try to save him every time he comes up.
I still like the mysteries even though it's the same formula each book. But I guess that's what I get for reading them back to back.
Linda Smatzny
This is the seventh book in the Dead-End Job Mystery series. The main character, Helen Hawthorne, takes low paying jobs so she doesn't have to pay her ex. Her ex, Rob, is featured in this book. The series is set in the Fort Lauderdale area of south Florida.
Jeanette
These are turning out to all be pretty much the same plot. It was still somewhat enjoyable, but I don't think I will read more. I do think this series is better than the Mystery Shopper series, even though they both have the same premise.
Leslie Angel
I like this series for the quirky people who hang out by the pool drinking wine. It's getting a little shopworn though, I think, but still readable. Too bad. Her other series about a mystery shopper is a little fresher perhaps.
Elizabeth
Jennie
This book was a fast read and a lot of fun. It's great to see a protagonist in a real-life job that is not so glamorous. The mystery was fun and I did not expect the ending. This would be a great pool-side read.
Fittytiff
This was a good quick read. At one point I thought it was done. But then it kept going and going. When it did end I was wanting the section with the next book. But there was none! I want more dead end jobs!!
Beth
Helen Hawthorn has made determined effort to disappear after a nasty divorce, but her latest dead end job leaves her cornered when the ex-husband she's trying to escape shows up.
Fast-paced, entertaining read that reminded me all too clearly of my own experiences working at a snooty resort country club. Nightmares that I find myself still working there, included!
Stefanie
The Dead-End Job and Mystery Shopper Series are fun fluffy books. Not usually difficult to solve the mysteries, but fun to read when you just want something light.
Robin
Clubbed To Death was a good mystery read. I enjoy the characters & the twists with enough humorous moments to keep things going. I would recommend this book.
Linda
Just finished this book last week. I'm a little sad because I've finished her whole series now. Her dead-end job mysteries were a good read.
  • Slay It with Flowers (A Flower Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Dying to Be Thin (A Fat City Mystery, #1)
  • Raiders of the Lost Corset (Crime of Fashion, #4)
  • Sit, Stay, Slay (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #1)
  • Killing Bridezilla (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #7)
  • Dying for Dinner (A Cooking Class Mystery, #4)
  • The Cluttered Corpse (A Charlotte Adams Mystery #2)
  • Drop-Dead Blonde
  • Pretty in Ink (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Going, Going, Ganache (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #5)
262084
As a young girl, Elaine Viets was taught the virtues of South St. Louis: the importance of hard work, housecleaning, and paying cash. She managed to forget almost everything she learned, which is why she turned to mystery writing.

Living in South Florida has not improved her character. But it has given her the bestselling Dead-End Job series. Like her amateur detective, Helen Hawthorne, Elaine actu
More about Elaine Viets...

A Dead-End Job Mystery (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Shop Till You Drop (Dead-End Job Mystery, #1)
  • Murder Between the Covers (Dead-End Job Mystery, #2)
  • Dying to Call You (Dead-End Job Mystery, #3)
  • Just Murdered (Dead-End Job Mystery, #4)
  • Murder Unleashed (Dead-End Job Mystery, #5)
  • Murder with Reservations (Dead-End Job Mystery, #6)
  • Killer Cuts (Dead-End Job Mystery, #8)
  • Half-Price Homicide (Dead-End Job Mystery #9)
  • Pumped for Murder (Dead-End Job Mystery #10)
  • Final Sail (Dead-End Job Mystery, #11)
Shop Till You Drop (Dead-End Job Mystery, #1) Murder Between the Covers (Dead-End Job Mystery, #2) Dying in Style (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #1) Dying to Call You (Dead-End Job Mystery, #3) Just Murdered (Dead-End Job Mystery, #4)