Start by marking “One Tattered Angel: A Touching True Story of the Power of Love” as Want to Read:
One Tattered Angel: A Touching True Story of the Power of Love

One Tattered Angel: A Touching True Story of the Power of Love

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  764 ratings  ·  120 reviews
Book by Yorgason, Blaine M.
Published May 1st 2003 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about One Tattered Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Tattered Angel

Plague of Angels by John Patrick KennedyCity of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareAngelfire by Courtney Allison MoultonStrange Angels by Lili St. Crow
Books with Angel In the Title
56th out of 159 books — 76 voters
Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites by Chris HeimerdingerPillar of Light by Gerald N. LundCharly by Jack WeylandPrincess Academy by Shannon HaleFire of the Covenant by Gerald N. Lund
Best LDS fiction
300th out of 456 books — 408 voters

More lists with this book...

Grandma
One Tattered Angel is a remarkable story of the power of love to reach beyond physical limitations. This is a touching, true story about the "angel" Blaine and his wife Kathy adopted in 1988. Born with hydraencephaly -- only a brain stem and cerebrospinal fluid -- Charity changed the lives of their entire family. Blaine Yorgason describes the immense difficulties and even greater joys of raising Charity along with their six children. In a home filled with love and compassion, Charity outlived he ...more
Jorgina
Cried all the way through the book.. of course I was an emotional wreck at the time. This true story of a girl born with no more than a brain stem and lived to the age of 8 is soooo amazing in how it changed her family for the good, no, great. This girl was in the hospital during her last days the same time my daughter was at Primary Children's hospital fighting her own life threatening car accident recovery. Wish I could have met her and the family.
Amy
After hearing Blaine and his wife speak about their experience with their adopted daughter Charity, who was born without a brain, I HAD to read this book!
I did not know then how much their story would motivate or encourage me in the future, but I think about their strength and knowledge of who this sweet spirit was often. It is a strength I draw on regularly with our situation!
Thelma
Jul 22, 2008 Thelma rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
this is a story of family, sacrifice, endurance and most of all love. it is the true story of a family that adopts a baby born without a brain, she had only a brain stem. she was expected to live only a year or two, but lived many years beyond two. it is about the lessons this little tattered angle named charity taught her family and those around her.
Princess
My family is going through a difficult time as we prepare for the arrival of a baby that will have a severe heart defect. This book was such a comfort to me and a way to look for the positives in any given situation. But you'll want to make sure that you have tissues handy!
I enjoyed this book. It was fun to read all the touching stories surrounding one girl who was born with a severe birth defect. It just shows that everyone has a purpose and that everyone can make a difference.
Katie
This is one of the most powerful true stories I've ever read. It's a simple short read, but extremely moving. I've read it countless times and I know that you'll want to as well.
Cindy
Putting it on the to-read list as it is a book club choice. Although, looking at a few of the synopses, I'm afraid it's going to rip my heart out. Hope I can handle this.

Well, I got through it better than I thought I would. This book gave some interesting insights on raising a special needs child. At times I felt a little ashamed, wondering if I cope worthily enough with my own angel. Yorgason truly adores it wife. The way he describes her, it's a wonder she hasn't been translated.

There were som
Jen Scott
What an amazing story of love and faith and devotion! Blaine and Kathy adopted a special needs infant born with hydraencephaly -- only a brain stem and cerebrospinal fluid. Where "science" entitled her basically lifeless and brain dead, Blaine goes on to describe the beauty and love and LIFE their little daughter Charity exhibited and the many wonderful ways Charity touched their lives. I was very moved and inspired by their great faith and complete reliance on the Lord as they raised this daugh ...more
Megarah Mae
Dec 05, 2008 Megarah Mae rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone!!!!
Recommended to Megarah by: Lucy Yorgason
Shelves: favorites
This book is a heart warming, tear jerking story of a little girl who became a miracle in the lives of Lucy and Blaine Yorgason. A baby girl, born without a brain.... only the stem, which you can only survive on for a few months, yet miraculously survived for approximately 10 years. this book is an inspiration to all of the world what the true meaning of love is. you need to genuinely care about the person and grow to know them. as they grew to know charity, she blessed them and they grew to lov ...more
Shaina
Wow! I read the whole book today! This book is amazing I recommend it to everyone! It was so touching I cried. It's a true story about a little girl named Charity (a baby) suffering through a lot...how she came to be in their lives, what they learned through it all...etc. It's incredible. I rated it a five because of the ending chapters. All the other chapters are leading up to those ending chapters...to make it all worthwhile and touching! The Spirit really touched me. This is a MUST-READ and p ...more
Kiersten
Love this book! It was a nice, quick read. It is an amazing, inspiring story! I thought it was really uplifting even though it was a sad story. I will admit I choked up a few times and finally lost it at the end of the book. I would definitely recommend this book. Especially for the times that you wonder why children have to endure such physical pain at times in this life. It gave me a new perspective on why certain things happen in this life that don't seem fair.
Jenny
Brother Yorgason was in my ward when I was growing up. All my out of state Mormon friends were so amazed that we had a "celebrity" in our ward! Read in 2001 for black Diamond book club.
I knew the Yorgason's 3 oldest children as a teenager. I had no idea that they were going through financial hardships. Theis book made me ralize that I need to be less judgemental because you never really know what someone else is going through.
LeeAnn Taylor
This story is a rare and beautiful look into the power of love and the worth of souls. My favorite chapter, favorite part of the entire book, is the chapter entitled "The Dishwasher." It's absolutely magical and deeply inspiring. I recommend this book for anyone who is looking to feel a deeper level of love and diving presence in their lives.
Denise
This was a good book, but I thought the story was a little too personal to share. The parents are amazing. I would not have the courage and dedication they did to take care of such a sick little angel. It is a remarkable story of faith. I would be interested to see whatever happened to Charity.
Brandi
This was an amazingly touching, spirit-filled book. I couldn't put it down. I cried and my heart broke with theirs. It's a story of faith, hope, and Charity. I highly recommend it, and what better time than Christmas to read it!
Erika
Yeah. Tearjerker book. LOVED it, absolutely LOVED it, though I was crying through most of the book. This is definitely a book you leave inspired by. Highly recommended on my part, if you don't mind cryin' your eyes out.
Kathryn
Oh my, if you want to cry, read this book. I had tears streaming down almost the entire time. It's the true story about a little girl who was born without a brain, but the power of her spirit touched everybody around her.
Michelle
A true story about Blaine & Kathy's adopted baby girl's excruciatingly painful life from birth and how through faith, hope and love of Christ, they are able to turn this experience into a blessing. A must read.
Diana
A sweet story about an angel on earth. I can't believe she lived almost 8 years without a brain. Her sweet spirit touched so many lives, especially her families.
Susan
My friend recommeded the book & I read her copy. I was so touched by it, that bought it on tape. When Charity died, I kept the obit that I cut from the Tribune.
Kristel
Grew up with Blaine's daughter Michelle. This is a story about their daughter with special needs - amazing story, amazing girl, amazing family - great for Christmas
Kathleen
A highly emotional, tender, true story. Filled with spiritual manifestations and love. A quick read, an excellent reminder of the worth of a soul.
Pine nut
this book was amazing! It was amazing! It was sad, but it taught you how important it is to have faith. I fell honored just to have read it!
Marlene
This has to be one of my favorite Christmas books. I read it to Gary on our way to St. George. We both had to shed a few tears.
Delirious
This is an easy read, it's a relatively short book. I would recommend this to anyone who has a child with a disability.
Princess
this book was the most touching book. i cried. alot. it strengthened my testimony in god, and the miracles of prayer.
Shaunee
I didn't want to read this book at first because i really did'nt want to feel sad, but this book was very uplifting.
Connie
I loved this book. I read it my first year at BYU and needed a whole box of Kleenex but it was very worth it.
Rachel
Having a little sister with the same thing, it was very good to relate. I loved this book.
  • The Burning Within
  • Be Your Best Self
  • The Simeon Solution: One Woman's Spiritual Odyssey
  • As I Have Loved You
  • Righteous Warriors: Lessons from the War Chapters in the Book of Mormon
  • When Thou Art Converted: Continuing Our Search for Happiness
  • If Life Were Easy, It Wouldn't Be Hard: And Other Reassuring Truths
  • The Great Gathering (Standing in Holy Places, 1)
  • Before My Heart Stops: A Memoir
  • A Christmas Melody (Trevor Family Saga, #4)
  • Mothers of the Prophets
  • Running With Angels
  • Guide Me to Eternity
  • The Promise of Discipleship
  • Fire of the Covenant: The Story of the Willie and Martin Handcart Companies
  • Gianna: Aborted...and Lived to Tell about It
  • Without a Flaw
  • Copycat (Haggerty Mystery, #5)
Blaine M. Yorgason was born in Sanpete County, Utah. He attended Brigham Young University and received both a BA and MA in History. Blaine and his wife Kathleen have 7 children and numerous grandchildren.
More about Blaine M. Yorgason...
Charlie's Monument The Bishop's Horse Race (The Soderberg Saga, #2) The Windwalker Chester, I Love You Secrets