Parenting the Hurt Child: Helping Adoptive Families Heal and Grow

Parenting the Hurt Child: Helping Adoptive Families Heal and Grow

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  255 ratings  ·  49 reviews
The world is full of hurt children, and bringing one into your home can quickly derail the easy family life you once knew. Get effective suggestions, wisdom, and advice to parent the hurt child in your life. The best hope for tragedy prevention is knowledge! Updated and revised.

Published June 15th 2009 by NavPress (first published March 19th 2002)

Meg
Although I liked some of what the authors say in this book in terms of spending quality time with children, I can also see how their attitude toward control over the child leads to a lack of respect for children and a failure to listen to their needs. Not my favorite book, but I can see coming to it as a last resort for extremely behaviorally challenged kids.
If I were to rate only the first half of the book, I would give probably 4 or 5 stars. But I was so disappointed with the last half of the book that I can only give it 2 stars.

The first half of the book (relating to discipline, etc.) was really helpful. But after that, it felt almost as if the authors said "ok, we don't feel like writing any new material anymore.... Let's just write the bare minimum and then say 'for more information, you should really read Parenting With Love And Logic.'" It g...more
Lisa
As an adoptive parent, I found this book to be an outstanding and extremely empathetic look at the struggles faced by adoptive parents and their children. The authors did an excellent job providing suggestions for things you can do to help your child, while also providing lots of suggestions and encouragement for parents. It's easy to read and filled with great ideas.

While many similar books focus on how parents can help their children form attachments, heal from past trauma, etc., this book als...more
Ryan
Judy
If giving 1/2 stars was possible, this would receive 3 1/2 stars instead of 4. The first part of the book was excellent, providing much insight to behavior, feelings, emotions, thoughts of the hurt child. It certainly opened my eyes. However, it would have been helpful to have more practical advice on how to deal with the child, rather than as many examples and stories. As a grandmother of a "hurt" child, I learned some useful techniques, but wish there had been more.
Really disappointed with this one. So much of the book seemed like filler (chapters made entirely of stories from parents and children, while interesting, would be better woven into the book at meaningful times, rather than just a hodgepodge of other peoples' narratives), and the rest of it seemed like a huge ad for reading "Parenting with Love and Logic." Which I am probably not going to do, because this was the book I checked out of the library, not that one, and I would appreciate if it actua...more
Tim
In my work as a psychologist for the St. Louis Family court I run across a lot of youths with Reactive Attachment Disorder, from abuse and neglect of a variety of types in their formative years. As a result thse children are very damaged in their ability to form and sustain adaptive relationships, and the task of the adoptive family is to, as best they can, reconstruct (or construct for the first time) more growth-oriented relationship. A daunting task with a very difficult population of "hurt"...more
Katie Kenig
During our long training sessions in preparation to complete a special-needs adoption, social workers recommended this particular book over and over again. I started to wonder what all the fuss was about, so I did a quick search on the library website, and found there was only one copy floating around. Yikes! I requested it right away.

It wasn't far into the book before I understood what was going on. Ah, I see. Our course of learning how to parent special needs kids? Yeah, it almost felt lifted...more
Kristin
1. Who is the Hurt Child - understanding the attachment cycle
- choosing the right kind of therapy
2. Dare to Parent
- the fears of hurt children (vulnerability & perceived weakness), parent-centered families
3. What Doesn't Work
- rewards, punishments, withholding love, time outs, grounding, deprivation, anger, equality
4. What Works
- avoid control battles, INconsistency, SPECIFIC praise, flexibility (make his behavior what you want), helping kids differentiate between degrees of good & bad,...more
Jim Hale
This book is the gold standard for parents, or prospective parents of older adopted children. Don't even think about reading Dr. Dobson, Ted Tripp, or any of the guys who tell you that you need to spank or play hard-ball with your kids (adopted ones that is). These children are in a special category. They will not respond to spanking and other harsh measures. We adopted two teenage girls seven years ago, and this was the resource I went back to time and time again. It is required reading for any...more
Brean
Really informative book with lots of info on parenting adopted kids with painful pasts. It's hard to swallow sometimes though because it basically tells that you have to parent opposite of the way I would generally naturally parent.. No time outs, time ins instead... Taking away privileges isn't necessarily do any good.. Stuff like that. Great book though!
Cassie Shepherd
I HIGHLY recommend this book for parents who have adopted. It is the sequel to "Adopting the Hurt Child" and is extremely informative. Raising adopted children can be difficult. Techniques that one might use for children who have not been adopted may not work. It is important to properly understand how to deal with challenges of "hurt children." Keck writes about reactive attachment disorder and its effects. He not only provides the reader with an understanding of these children's backgrounds, b...more
Marian
Encouraging and informative, this book gives readers practical advice for creating bonds with their adopted children and for coming up with out-of-the-box solutions to the unique problems stemming from attachment issues and early trauma.
Go2therock
This is one of those Yes! Yes! Yes! books. I wish everyone who has adopted or loves a family who has adopted would read this book. I'm only a few chapters in, but it is resounding solidly with me.

Just finished this book. The ending of this book is perfect, and I think you can tell a lot about a book by how it begins and ends. For those who have been personally involved in adoption, either by being the birth parent, adoptee, or adoptive parent - this book is FOR you. And for everyone else, you wi...more
Karen
A valuable resource for adoptive parents. I am so glad I read this book. Its tone is realistic but not depressing, so I believe parents would feel empowered by the information, not discouraged by it. The significant trauma some children may have faced in their pasts and the ways that trauma manifests itself in their new adoptive families is addressed. Specific strategies, suggestions, and stories of real families are included. A book to revisit throughout the parenting journey.
The book often cro...more
Shannan
Awesome parenting tips for my family and lots for anyone's family. They give pages of real and easy ideas on how to increase love and trust between you and your children and between siblings. There are fun ideas like becoming sticker sisters (you both wear a matching sticker all day but it's your little secret) or hiding chocolate kisses around the house for when they come home from school but before they can eat them they have to hug and kiss you OR each other for each one they want to eat.

Lots...more
Amy
This is one of those books I read periodically.
Audra
I thought this book had some gems, with some sections that were really great in teaching empathy and understanding of the unique issues that children who may have traumatic histories are experiencing. But other parts were more frustrating, and the book as a whole was not that intriguing. Very much a parenting book in some ways. So far, I have learned more from reading memoirs which connect to me on a deeper level, but this may work for some parents.
Blondie
I was directed to this book by our counselor and was so thankful to have read it.
It really spoke to the issues we have been going through with our daughter, who is adopted from China.
This is a great read to examine your approaches and responses, and help give an understanding into your child's complex and deeply ingrained fears and struggles.

Highly recommend this to the adoptive parent working on bonding or attachment concerns.
Cassandra
Definitely the best book I've read on what happens after adoption. The book tackles how to foster attachment and addresses various issues that adopted children can face. It offers practical advice and suggestions on what to do if the parent and child need more help than a book can provide. I truly hope I won't need this book when my daughter comes home but we may face some of these issues. If so, I have a good resource to turn to.
Trish at Between My Lines
I'm currently reading this book as preparation for an extension of our adoption paperwork. I can't recommend it highly enough. It's full of practical information and explained in a very readable manner using loads of examples. This book doesn't just tell you about different approaches, it shows you exactly how to use them. I can see this being a very valuable resource for the future.
This book was actually depressing at the start. I wasn't sure I wanted to read the whole thing, but I am glad I kept with it. Keck & Kupecki offer solid advice that feel matches the personalities of my husband and me. While this book presents worst case scenarios, it also left me feeling hopeful about dealing with whatever potential issues my future adopted child would have.
Annell
I really wish I had known about this book when we first began our journey of foster care and adoption 2 years ago. This book has helped me immensely, especially chapter 5: Cinnamon on Applesauce, Nurturing the Hurt Child. What a great read and one I will often refer back to.

Christie
Although this book is specifically written for parents adopting children older than infancy, I consider it a must read for any parent that has a defiant child. It helps parents get inside the kid's head and get creative about ways of connecting with their child and maintaining a relationship with them, despite how negative their behavior may be.
Amber
Any adopted child is defined as a hurt child in this book due to their losses. While this seemed geared toward families with kids with intense attachment issues I still think it is a valuable read for any adoptive family. The first half of the book I found more valuable than the second half.
Alexis
This book highlights the internal life of kids with Reactive Attachment Disorder. I had to read it for my internship last year and now I have a kid on my caseload who's definitely Reactive Attachment and I'm going to send this book to his foster parents. Good stuff.
Sally
Aug 06, 2008 Sally rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Social workers, child welfare attorneys, foster parents, pre-adoptive parents
Recommended to Sally by: Parent who has adopted from child welfare
This was a great book with well illustrated examples on parenting a child who has suffered neglect and abuse. I would recommend for any person or couple interested in learning more about providing foster care or adopting (domestically or internationally).
Jenn
An important book for everyone involved in child welfare, adoption, fostering and on and on. This book gave me (a volunteer) great ideas on how to help children who have suffered loss without "pretending to be a psychologist".
It is a very helpful book, I learned alot of what to except when Zachary gets here. On how to parent him different than what I do with my own children and why the things I use with my kids may not work with him.
Heather
Keck does a great job explaining why traumatized kids act the way they do. This was the book that really shifted my thinking from RAD as a disease, to the idea of complex developmental trauma.
  • Attaching in Adoption: Practical Tools for Today's Parents
  • The Connected Child: Bring Hope and Healing to Your Adoptive Family
  • Beyond Consequences, Logic, and Control: A Love-Based Approach to Helping Attachment-Challenged Children With Severe Behaviors, Volume 1
  • Twenty Things Adopted Kids Wish Their Adoptive Parents Knew
  • Toddler Adoption: The Weaver's Craft
  • The Primal Wound: Understanding the Adopted Child
  • Transforming the Difficult Child: The Nurtured Heart Approach
  • I'm Chocolate, You're Vanilla: Raising Healthy Black and Biracial Children in a Race-Conscious World
  • Secret Thoughts of an Adoptive Mother
  • Orphanology: Awakening to Gospel-Centered Adoption and Orphan Care
  • Orphans of the Living: Stories of Americas Children in Foster Care
  • In Their Own Voices: Transracial Adoptees Tell Their Stories
  • Another Place at the Table
  • On Their Own: What Happens to Kids When They Age Out of the Foster Care System
  • Adopted for Life: The Priority of Adoption for Christian Families and Churches
  • Wanting a Daughter, Needing a Son: Abandonment, Adoption, and Orphanage Care in China
  • My Fathers' Daughter
  • Parenting From the Inside Out
Adopting the Hurt Child: Hope for Families With Special-Needs Kids : A Guide for Parents and Professionals Parenting Adopted Adolescents: Understanding and Appreciating Their Journeys Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins We Tolerate Prayer-Saturated Kids: Equipping and Empowering Children in Prayer The Grad's Guide to Surviving Stressful Times