Start by marking “Toxic People: 10 Ways Of Dealing With People Who Make Your Life Miserable” as Want to Read:
Toxic People: 10 Ways Of Dealing With People Who Make Your Life Miserable

Toxic People: 10 Ways Of Dealing With People Who Make Your Life Miserable

Some people really can make you sick!

Is there anyone in your life-a relative, boss, friend, even a lover or spouse-who drives you crazy? Are there people who make you feel inadequate, unworthy, or just plain miserable? If there's someone who is not supportive and does not wish you well, then you've got a "toxic" person in your life.

Do you recognize any of these toxic terro
Published February 15th 1997 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published May 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Toxic People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toxic People

ΑνναΦ
Mi sono divertita moltissimo a leggere questo libricino di self – help, anche se l'argomento trattato è piuttosto serio: come liberare la nostra vita da persone tossiche (Toxic Persons è il titolo inglese), potenzialmente negative per il nostro benessere psicofisico. La Glass, una psicoterapeuta, oltre a metterci in guardia sui pericoli anche seri, per la salute psichica e fisica, che sottostare passivamente a certi atteggiamenti tossici può causare, nel tempo, ci fornisce ampio campionario – ve ...more
Carrie Allen
Mar 12, 2013 Carrie Allen rated it did not like it
This book has a few good points, but overall, lots of it just seems...silly. The "Give Em Hell and Yell" technique. Really!? If lots of these techniques for dealing with toxic people were actually utilized, I think lots of people would end up in jail or unemployed. There are a few useful bits of advice and some techniques that can be adjusted to be user friendly, but overall, this was a super difficult book to wade through and I spent way too much time on it. I was disappointed.
Dae
Aug 24, 2012 Dae rated it it was ok
While I found aspects of this book helpful, I found Dr. Glass' blatant shallowness a turn off at times. The whole section pertaining to how a person's looks/appearance being contributory to being toxic was downright irritating as I feel the focus ought to be on an individual's behavior and not what they look like. I also felt that the piece on "Mental Cases" was rather offensive as labeling anyone with a mental illness further perpetuates the stigma that people with mental illness are forced to ...more
Tania
Aug 17, 2011 Tania rated it it was ok
I liked some things in the book. She is very clear that one can never resort to violence in dealing with a toxic person. Her earnestness around creating a more peaceful world is admirable. Even though I'd have liked a bit more depth of analysis, I agree with her argument that people who behave in a toxic manner are generally insecure. I liked how she took the ten techniques and showed the best people to use them with, depending on either the type of person they are, or their role in the reader's ...more
delphinium
Apr 07, 2007 delphinium rated it really liked it
Interesting self-help book. We've all met these people, it's nice to read up on ways to deal with them. One of the techniques -- the humor one -- has really helped me. It also made me realize that some "friends" I have are actually toxic to me, and I'm trying to restrict my new friends to nontoxic people.
Tori
Mar 07, 2008 Tori rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
This is THE guidebook to human relationships. It will give you the insight you need to determine who your friends truly are. It also give you the courage to eliminate the dead-weight "friends" and family in your life, and get you on a path to a much happier, more relaxed you.
Will Saunders
Nov 19, 2015 Will Saunders rated it it was amazing
This is an incredible book that I recommend for everybody. It addresses "toxic" people and how to handle them. The key take-a-way is that most of these people are not always toxic and it's not the case that everything about them is toxic; it's just that some aspect of their behaviors can cause us distress or their relationship with us can cause us distress. But, we may also encounter some people who are always this way in our interactions with them. In some cases, all we need to do is eliminate ...more
Chris Cassleman
Sep 09, 2008 Chris Cassleman rated it really liked it
This book was really helpful to me. If you have ever had or currently have a toxic person in your life, this book is for you. I was in a toxic situation with a toxic person and this book was my therapy. It really helped me to understand the particular toxic person that was in my life. It provides you with stratagies with how to deal with toxic people. Glass provides you with the different types of toxic people so you can see who exactly you're dealing with. I like that she is objective about the ...more
Pauline
Sep 07, 2012 Pauline rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
The book was good at describing how to recognize toxic people, explaining that what is toxic for one person is a positive joy to another (like the old trash and treasure addage). It takes a while to get to the "how do you handle toxic people" question/answers but once there, it doesn't take long to cover the possible solutions. I found some of those solutions to be less than useful but there was the point that sometimes you just have to walk away from a person who is toxic to you, and let them k ...more
Deirdre
Nov 20, 2008 Deirdre rated it really liked it
An interesting look at the various ways people make each other's lives difficult. Yes it's quite generalised and simplistic in parts (and sometimes the "I know famous people" authorial stance is a little wearing). However I found it an interesting read and well worth a look over.

It would be most useful to people writing interesting villans in stories. Some of the ways in which people annoy others were good and also the idea of one person's villan being another persons friend was also an interest
Stacey
Mar 15, 2011 Stacey rated it really liked it
I am only about about 75 pages into this book, but Glass has already had me identify several people in my life who are currently toxic to me. I'm looking forward to the part where she teaches me how to deal with and/or eliminate those people. Her analyses of people is spot on, I was going to dog-ear the pages of the book that are of special interest to me, but I find myself dog-earing nearly every page!

I don't usually read "self-help" books, this may even be the first one I've gotten past the f
Catheryn
Oct 09, 2011 Catheryn rated it it was ok
This book could be broken down to a quote by my professor: There will only be two types of people in your life: those that make your life easy and those that make it more difficult.

I don't have people in my life who are difficult aka: toxic. I'm happy. When they do appear, it takes me a New York minute to delete them from my life. I simply do not engage.
Tiffany
Mar 16, 2008 Tiffany rated it really liked it
This book helped me make some life decisions. I was also able to learn some toxic behaviors that I might exhibit. The book just made me really aware of the types of people you encounter through life and how to deal with them. It seems like I always have problems with the same kinds of toxic people, now I know how to handle them.
Caroline
Feb 25, 2008 Caroline rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for all walks of life. I read it because I dealt with a bad job situation and was looking for some more objective feedback... rather than- deal with it. This book is actually really funny as well as instructive and helpful. Anybody interested in learning about their own as well as others' personality types (which make you in particular cringe), read this book!
Colona Public Library
This book is very useful to help figure out if someone in your life could possible be toxic to you with a list of questions and to tell which type of toxic person he/she could be by using a list of adjectives. Very helpful techniques that might be helpful to deflect peoples words that could be used to harm you. You can order this book and borrow it from the Colona Public Library! ~Ashley
Vanessa
Jan 16, 2009 Vanessa rated it did not like it
This book had a good listing of all the different types of toxic people, I could have put names by the different types. But in the end this was the only good part. The "solutions" for dealing with these people weren't realistic or just wouldn't work for me.
Janette Hansen
Apr 08, 2014 Janette Hansen rated it did not like it
I had a hard time reading it, good information but I'm too close to the subject and find it difficult.
Brittany
Jul 25, 2008 Brittany rated it really liked it
This is a great book. My Aunt told me about it. It has really helped me realize why certain people are toxic to me, and how to deal with them. 5 STARS!
J.
Apr 05, 2013 J. rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent read. It helped me to eventually become good friends with someone I viewed as an enemy. Now he's one of my oldest and best friends. Maturity I guess.
Lenore
Mar 08, 2010 Lenore rated it liked it
I didn't get to finish it. It was very informative and let me know the people I needed to eliminate or minimize from my life. Also teaches how to deal with them. Very helpful.
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2016
Lydia
Lydia rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2013
Erica Naibo
Erica Naibo rated it it was ok
Apr 24, 2016
Serenity
Serenity rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2011
Bethanie
Bethanie rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2012
Arnulfo L
Arnulfo L rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2014
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2014
Carla
Carla rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2008
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2015
Adam D. Colon
Adam D. Colon rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Petit traité de manipulation à l'usage des honnêtes gens
  • 10 Simple Solutions to Adult ADD: How to Overcome Chronic Distraction and Accomplish Your Goals
  • Believing In Myself: Daily Meditations for Healing and Building Self-Esteem
  • A Couple's Guide to Communication
  • The Thinker's Way
  • On n'y voit rien : descriptions
  • Adult Children of Abusive Parents
  • It's My Life Now: Starting Over After an Abusive Relationship or Domestic Violence
  • Will's Choice: A Suicidal Teen, a Desperate Mother, and a Chronicle of Recovery
  • Why Men Are the Way They Are
  • Trapped in the Mirror: Adult Children of Narcissists in Their Struggle for Self
  • Getting to 'I Do'
  • We Love Each Other, but... Simple Secrets to Strengthen Your Relationship and Make Love Last
  • Codependents' Guide to the Twelve Steps
  • Toxic In-Laws: Loving Strategies for Protecting Your Marriage
  • Stalking the Soul: Emotional Abuse and the Erosion of Identity
  • Receiving Love: Transform Your Relationship by Letting Yourself Be Loved
  • The Practice of Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy: Creating Connection
Dr. Lillian Glass is an international communication and body language expert, media commentator and author of a dozen books, including Toxic People, He Says She Says, and a body language book, I Know What You're Thinking. She has a monthly body language column in Cosmopolitan Magazine. She also is actively involved as a jury consultant.
More about Lillian Glass...

“The Wishy-Washy Wimp is passive-aggressive, weak, quiet, brown-nosing, uncommunicative, dependent, indirect, intimidated, ass-kissing, fearful, insecure, untrustworthy, secretive, scared, sheepish, guilt-ridden, tentative, threatened, conservative, disloyal, indecisive, desperate, lifeless, mousy, spineless, submissive, socially inept, nerdy, indecisive, cowardly, a stick-in-the-mud, a loser, and a yes-man. Wishy-Washy” 0 likes
“Wishy-Washy Wimps are passive-aggressive individuals who are spineless wonders, lacking guts and backbone. They bend in whatever direction the wind is blowing and have difficulty making any decision.” 0 likes