Start by marking “Mr. Mysterious & Company” as Want to Read:
Mr. Mysterious & Company

Mr. Mysterious & Company

A magic show is in town! See Jane float through the air. Watch the head in the box move its lips and talk (that's Paul behind the whiskers). See tall, light-hearted Mr. Mysterious--Pa himself--make a cow lay an egg and a chicken give milk. Follow the adventures and high comedy of this family of magicians traveling in a show wagon through the Old West. The wonder workers ar ...more
Published March 28th 1997 by Greenwillow Books (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Mysterious & Company, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Mysterious & Company

V. Gingerich
A family travels the country in their covered wagon, giving magic shows in whatever tiny Western town they come to. Each family member has their part in the show, even the animals.

This book is so much fun to read aloud, and the kids liked it a lot. It's a great combination of history, adventure, family, and just plain silliness.

Some of my favorite parts are Abracadabra Days (one day out of the year when the three kids can be as bad as they like), the Badlands Kid (an outlaw who terrorizes the
Mohamed  Abo-Elgheit
هذا عالم نقي بسيط لا وجود له إلا في خيال مؤلف ذكي جدا ومبدع جدا
Tate
Debra B.
Oct 02, 2013 Debra B. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Brenda, and anyone who likes children's books about the Frontier
Recommended to Debra by: Brenda
Thanks again to BRENDA for finding this book. I am pretty sure it is the book I read in elementary school, but could not remember the title and the author. The simple rustic black ink illustrations seem awfully familiar to me. What a creative way to educate young adults about what the Old West was like in the 1880's and the traveling shows of that time. A very sweet story.
David Anthony
Feb 05, 2011 David Anthony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot remember a time when I wasn’t a reader. From superhero comic books to 1,000-page epics to Brit Lit classics and today’s political commentaries, I’ve never stopped reading. Why? I blame my Mom. She made me a reader at bedtime. Most every night, she would tuck me in, plop a cat down by my feet, and then sit on the edge of my bed and read to me. Over the years, we read a variety of books, some over and over again. I will discuss a number of them in the course of this year’s 52 Favorites, b ...more
Wiwwa
Apr 25, 2008 Wiwwa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I still remember this book from my childhood. We had a teacher that would read it to us in class and I was enthralled with the whole premise of a traveling family of magicians. I'm nervous about re-reading it as an adult. Will it lose it's magic? I recently found a copy and purchased it, but I think I'll hold off on reading it until my little guy is old enough to enjoy it.
Josephine
Jul 23, 2011 Josephine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is, in many ways, typical of Sid Fleischman: a family (in some configuration) is traveling through the U.S. Southwest in the mid to late nineteenth century. In this case, it's a nuclear family, headed by a magician father, as they move from Texas to California with the aim of giving the kids a "normal" life.
Grace
Sep 26, 2011 Grace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like pioneer stories and haven't read this yet, then you are missing out. Coolest parents ever have a traveling magic show and encounter adventures on their path to California. Thank you to all the Betsy friends who identified the book for me. I had been searching for 33 years!
Dennis
Jun 28, 2009 Dennis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite book as a kid. By a lot.
Brian
Jun 28, 2016 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a delightful/charming story, where the trouble is never too dangerous and the solutions are always intriguing. A study in pioneer life (to some extent) but mostly a sweet family tale.
David
Aug 01, 2012 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Fleischman has a wry wit and smart pen, something rare in children's stories.
Kaijsa
May 21, 2012 Kaijsa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012, kids
Super cute. I love his drawings! I would have loved this as a kid. Not as good as By the Great Horn Spoon, though. Still very well-written and a fun quick read.
Kristen
Dec 29, 2010 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had this book read to my in 4th grade..and I have never forgotten it. A wonderful story of moving west and adventures found within!
John
Apr 01, 2015 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this as a kid. Still quote scenes from it.
Brenda
Brenda rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2015
Ketutar Jensen
Ketutar Jensen rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2009
Alika Kay
Alika Kay rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2012
Barbara
Barbara rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Carolynn
Carolynn rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2009
Smoakes
Smoakes rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2009
Me
Me rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2011
Peyton
Peyton rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2011
Rick Jones
Rick Jones rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2009
serena482*
serena482* rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2015
M
M rated it liked it
May 21, 2013
Colleen
Colleen rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2009
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2008
Sarah R
Sarah R rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2015
EJ
EJ rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2016
Johnny Bloom
Johnny Bloom rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Wedding Bells Ahead (Grandma's Attic #7)
  • Honestly, Katie John!
  • When a Man's a Man
  • Daniel at the Siege of Boston 1776 (Boys of Wartime)
  • Me Too, Iguana
  • The Seven Professors of the Far North
  • The Adventures of King Midas
  • The Summer Day Is Done
  • The Swing in the Summerhouse (Hall Family Chronicles, #2)
  • Danny Dunn and the Homework Machine (Danny Dunn, #3)
  • A Room Made of Windows
  • The Ant and the Elephant
  • The Great Turkey Walk
  • Freddy the Detective
  • Magic or Not? (Tales of Magic, #5)
  • January's Sparrow
  • Black and Blue Magic
  • Yankee Girl
As a children's book author Sid Fleischman felt a special obligation to his readers. "The books we enjoy as children stay with us forever -- they have a special impact. Paragraph after paragraph and page after page, the author must deliver his or her best work." With almost 60 books to his credit, some of which have been made into motion pictures, Sid Fleischman can be assured that his work will m ...more
More about Sid Fleischman...