Start by marking “The Digital Photography Book (Volume 3)” as Want to Read:
The Digital Photography Book (Volume 3)

The Digital Photography Book (The Digital Photography Book: The Step-By-Step Secrets for How to Make Your Photos Look Like the Pros! #3)

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,316 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
The third volume in the successful Digital Photography series provides photographers with nearly 200 ideas and suggestions for shooting dramatically sharper, more colorful, and more professional-looking photos with a digital camera. Each page covers just one trick or concept.
Published July 1st 2009 by Peachpit Press (first published April 25th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Digital Photography Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Digital Photography Book

Stephen Kennedy
Aug 16, 2009 Stephen Kennedy rated it really liked it
Although this book is indicated as being Volume 3, it is not a 3rd edition of the book and like Volume 2 is a continuation of tricks and tips.
Where I found that the Volume 1 book was excellent for beginners, Volume 2 was more geared towards more advanced photography skills and studio and portrait shooting.
Volume 3 I found was actually also a good book for new photographers as well. While a beginner can read all books in the series I feel that Volume s 1 and 3 have more to offer them.
Again this
عبد العزيز القباني
مترجم الكتاب للعربية يستحق عشر نجمات !!
Suzanne
Aug 04, 2012 Suzanne rated it liked it
A good reference book from Scott Kelby as always, but I'm starting to wish that his volumes were broken down into categories - one for nature, one for portraits, one for sports, etc - rather than giving a smattering of each in each volume. I have no interest in portrait or sports photography, so I feel like I'm just breezing past those whole chapters and am left wanting more of the categories that I am interested in. Even though I still found some helpful hints in this book, I will probably skip ...more
Scooping it Up
Oct 26, 2009 Scooping it Up rated it liked it
I got so much more out of this book after some experience with SLR photography than I would have several years ago. Lots of stuff I know, but some interesting perspective on things I hadn't considered or had experience with, and good reminders. Some might not enjoy his tone but I don't mind it. Definitely a good resource for pro-ish photographers.
Mashail Alhodaibi
اسلوب سكوت شيق ورائع
ويحمل الكتاب معلومات مهمة ومفيدة لكل مصور
انصح بقرائته
Manish
Jul 06, 2015 Manish rated it really liked it
I read Part 1 to 4 of this series.

Very helpful practical, technical book..

Buy this.. u will learn a lot about studio, portrait, landscape, travel, sports photography practical tips..

For any query mail at manish.ray03@gmail.com / write at https://www.facebook.com/raysclicks
Edwin Canlapan
May 07, 2014 Edwin Canlapan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
If you want a straight forward photography book. This is it. It's the best photography book I ever had. All 4 volumes.
Mohamed Korym
Sep 13, 2015 Mohamed Korym rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
كتاب جيد جدا للمبتدئين بعالم التصوير الرقمي واستخدام كاميرات ال DSLR
Esther
Jul 13, 2014 Esther rated it liked it
Stimulated me to learn more about our camera and photography.
Pauline
Oct 10, 2009 Pauline rated it really liked it
I have read all three of Scott Kelby's photography books in this series and I have learned many lessons that have served me well.

The first book is the most helpful for beginners and volume two goes into more detail for more advanced photographers and this volume, number three, seems to be a mixture of both.

Written in easy to read one page tips with all the details of how a picture was taken, it is a book that is worth looking at over and over again. This book also contains lots of information on
Artiste372
Sridhar R
May 08, 2014 Sridhar R marked it as to-read
i want this book
Wejdan
Apr 09, 2015 Wejdan added it
ءءء
Wafa Suwaileh
Oct 24, 2012 Wafa Suwaileh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
قرأتها لمعرفة أساسيات التصوير فقط بالطبع لن أسلك تلك المهنة لكن لإلتقاط صور جيدة بالرحلات ومع العائلة وما الى ذلك.

إشتريتها هذا الشهر وأنهيتها في نفس الشهر كانت تلك أحدى كتب "أنت وأنا في الخارج من أجل التقاط الصور "(1) على حد وصف الكاتب بالطبع أخذت فائدة عظيمة منه وأستطيع ان ارى درجة التحسن في ذلك المجال ولله الحمد ولكن اذا كنت تريد التعمق أكثر انصحك بكتب تعلم الأساسيات لتكون على معرفة أوسع .

وايضاً يتمتع الكاتب بحس فكاهي الى حدٍ ما, راقَ لي ذلك :)
Станислав Атанасов
Започва да се повтаря ... но все пак добра книга за начинаещия фотограф.
Douglas Larson
Apr 10, 2015 Douglas Larson rated it liked it
Shelves: photography
A very nice overview of photographic concepts, practices and equipment. This, volume 3 in the series, is well suited to a beginner to photography but since it contains such a wide variety of topics, it could serve professionals as well. Author Kelby has built a large photography education business offering seminars, photo safaris, online classes as well as these books.
Benedetto Piscitello
Sep 22, 2013 Benedetto Piscitello rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
Yet even more super useful tips and trick for many types of photography (people, sport, products, outdoors). Also gives many explainations about different typse of lenses and when to use them.
Finally it goes even more in depth with off camera flash and studio light. I've got many intresting website, links and products that i might by as soon as i need to ;)
A "must" to read
Naomi
Mar 13, 2010 Naomi marked it as photography
A good book for novice photographers to pick up some simple tips for improving photos. A lot of the tips I've read before, but I did get some needed refreshers and did learn a few new things.

The Digital Photography Book, volume 2 has more detail info about portrait photography, among other info.

Volume 3 I've yet to read.
Miguel Ángel Vilela
Mar 30, 2011 Miguel Ángel Vilela rated it liked it
Recommended to Miguel Ángel by: A photo-savvy colleague
Shelves: photography
I liked it because it contains enough useful stuff, but still has plenty of questionable points that make me doubt very much I'll ever read another book from Scott Kelby, or anything at all written by him.
Oh well, he makes his big money writing and I don't, so I'll stop writing right here :P
Gayle
Sep 01, 2009 Gayle rated it really liked it
Scott has such a great style of teaching (fun/quirky). This helped me learn more about lighting and specifically off-camera flash. Great read if you are really into photography. The Digital Photography Book, Volumes 1 and 2 would be great if you'd like to begin learning!
Markus
Apr 24, 2010 Markus rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Photography fans
The third book builds on the ideas and suggestions of #1 and 2. Once again the focus is on studio-work/lightning. It also doles out great travel tips and general tips for any shoot, but the absolute beginner is better of with the first two and saving this book for later.
Clare
Jul 05, 2010 Clare rated it really liked it
I carry these three books by Scott Kelby around in my camera bag a lot of the time, when I go out looking for things to photograph. The format is conducive to setting tasks or projects for myself, and then following his tips to try and get good results. Very practical.
Connie
Mar 22, 2011 Connie rated it really liked it
This is the 3rd book of his that I have read. I really enjoy his books. He really explains things in a great simplified manner. Off camera flashes and soft boxes are used for a lot of the "how to get this shot" examples.
Mornblade Keltoislave
Dec 26, 2009 Mornblade Keltoislave is currently reading it
This book is very well laid out and very helpful. Rather than mucking about in the ultra-fine details, this book tells you what you need to know to shoot better photos right now. You can then move on to the finer details later.
Hapzydeco
Oct 07, 2011 Hapzydeco rated it really liked it
1, 2, 3 - Scott Kelby delivers another great instructional pitch with this volume. Builds on and adds to the previous two volumes. A good reference for the beginner as well as the professional photographer.
Rashed AlAbdouli
I am interested on the following chapters on this book: using the flash as professionals and the facts about the lenses....I will start reading those chapters then I will continue the others
Matt
Jun 18, 2011 Matt rated it liked it
loved the first two books... but this one seemed like the authors way to get a "Volume 3" in print. Seemed like a moneymaking way to milk the title for a little more $$$?
Daisy
Jan 23, 2010 Daisy rated it really liked it
Another great book by Scott Kelby! This book is just as good as the first two volumes, but definitely a third volume so I recommend grabbing the other copies first.
Feb 21, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
Volume 2 and 3 of this series weren't really worth the money for me. Most of the tips are repetitions or slight elaborations of tips given in Volume 1.
  • The Hot Shoe Diaries: Big Light from Small Flashes (Voices That Matter)
  • Understanding Close-Up Photography: Creative Close Encounters with Or Without a Macro Lens
  • Within the Frame: The Journey of Photographic Vision
  • Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
  • The Negative (Ansel Adams Photography, #2)
  • Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites
  • The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos
  • Mastering Digital SLR Photography
  • Photography
  • Black and White Photography: A Basic Manual
  • Digital Photography Masterclass: Advanced Photographic and Image Manipulation Techniques for Creating Perfect Pictures
  • On-Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Wedding and Portrait Photography
  • The Art of Photography: An Approach to Personal Expression
  • Complete Digital Photography (Graphics Series)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Scott Kelby is an American author and publisher of periodicals dealing in Macintosh and Personal Computer software, specifically for design professionals, photographers, and artists.

Kelby is editor and publisher of Photoshop User and Layers magazines, president and co-founder of the National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP) and is president of Kelby Media Group, an Oldsmar, Florida-ba
More about Scott Kelby...

The Digital Photography Book: The Step-By-Step Secrets for How to Make Your Photos Look Like the Pros! (5 books)
  • The Digital Photography Book (Volume 1)
  • The Digital Photography Book (Volume 2)
  • The Digital Photography Book (Volume 4)
  • The Digital Photography Book, Part 5: Photo Recipes