Start by marking “Thoughtless Acts?: Observations on Intuitive Design” as Want to Read:
Thoughtless Acts?: Observations on Intuitive Design

Thoughtless Acts?: Observations on Intuitive Design

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  13 reviews
From IDEO, the global innovation and design firm responsible for such landmark products as Apple's first computer mouse, comes a primer in the observation method that keeps their practice human-centered and ever ingenious. People unconsciously perform ultraordinary actions every day, from throwing a jacket over a chair back to claim the seat, or placing something in the te ...more
Published March 3rd 2005 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Thoughtless Acts?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thoughtless Acts?

Stuart
If you were to pick up this book with no expectations, you would be greatly disappointed. 90% of the book is pictures, photographs loosely divided into categories to show item is use. The remaining 10% covers the inspiration and use of the book, with the author's interpretations of the earlier photographs.

Where this book shines is when you approach it in need of inspiration. When you are lacking in new ideas, a quick glance through this book can grant you a new look on the world we interact with
Earl Gray
IDEO fascinates me organizationally. I love how they approach design, both as a product for their clients and as a lived-out value for their employees.

This book has no words, and is smaller than a paperback book - more like the size of a small Moleskine journal. It is also beautiful, both in a design execution aspect and in its tactile sense.

As you "read" it - going through the pictures, page by page, you will see the connective floe of them, and how one leads to an aspect of another, and how t
Nathanael (Boehm) Coyne
This is a tiny photo album that you can flip through in about 5 minutes although I do recommend you read Jane's thoughts at the end of the book. Though brief, this book is an fantastic lens into the oddity of human behaviour (and unexploited design opportunities). I'm sure there'll be a few scenes in this book where you'll go "OMG other people do that too?". Not sure how practical this book is but I'm sure it'll come in handy as a thought starter, to look to for inspiration and get yourself into ...more
Robbie Henderson
A book by designers, for designers...
Ok maybe for real people as well as design heads but as a student this was one of the fantastic books which first opened my mind to what product design means to the people who it benefits.

It's a collection of observational photographs detailing the use, miss-use and adaption of the civilised world we've made for ourselves. E.g. Simple innovation such as; plastic bags taped on parking meters to show they are out of order, a claw hammer used as a door stop or
DeAnna Knippling
This isn't a book explaining anything. It's a series of photos along with just a few things for you to think about, then a short essay and photo captions - it's more like a short course on observing design than it is a book. It's hard to explain. A Zen design book?

At any rate, it's giving me all kinds of ideas, and I feel like I've only just scratched the surface with my first read. I love the way the book's put together, too - the spine is exposed, yet it has hard covers. Very tactile.

Gloria
Finally got around to reading the book (instead of flipping through it); and it is a good one if one sits with it a while in reflective practice. Yes for courses.

Do need to look at the original source for the word "affordance": James Gibson, The Ecological Approach to Visual Perception 1979.
"we perceive the environment in terms of its possibilities for actions—in other words what objects or spaces 'afford.' [170]

reacting responding co-opting exploiting adapting conforming signaling
Hans de Zwart
This little gem of book teaches you a different way of looking at the world. Fulton Suri's pictures show you how you can be an anthropologist and how this stance can help inspire new products (the IDEO way). For me it was wonderful to find a "kindred spirit": it not many people who take this point of view...

Why a book that is about design would make a back cover that makes you pick up the book upside down still baffles me though. Maybe to turn reading into a thoughtfull act?
Louise Cochrane
To get the most out of this book, it would be helpful to know something about IDEO and their approach to design.

This book is not a teaching tool, more of a springboard for your own ethnography and research ideas. All in all, I found it to be an interesting little book and would recommend it for a flick through.
Chloe
I really liked the ideas presented in this book – pictures depicting everyday, automatic, and unconscious behavior, and the design ideas that stem from them. The pictures tell stories, and I wish that there were more of them in the book.
Carmen
Maybe it's just me, but I don't get it. I bought it for 10 cents at a discount store just to tear it apart and use the pictures in various artwork. Maybe that makes me a bad person, but there you go.
Justin
After attending a lecture by Suri, I couldn't resist buying this book. Her explorations of strategic and tactical design are nothing short of enlightening.
Joe
$35 for this? Not even worth the $20 I paid for it. Kinda neat, but NOT worth more than $10. $12 tops.
Vikna
Mar 31, 2008 Vikna added it
Creative ... thought stimulation
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Anuxk
Anuxk marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Janet Morris
Janet Morris marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Mohamed Omara
Mohamed Omara marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Jacklynn
Jacklynn marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Bradley Kabert
Bradley Kabert marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Vivek Bv
Vivek Bv marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Caitlin Weber
Caitlin Weber marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Stefanie
Stefanie marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Zach Hellman
Zach Hellman marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
  • Exposing the Magic of Design: A Practitioner's Guide to the Methods and Theory of Synthesis
  • Do You Matter? How Great Design Will Make People Love Your Company
  • Design Research: Methods and Perspectives
  • Thoughtful Interaction Design: A Design Perspective on Information Technology
  • Design Driven Innovation: Changing the Rules of Competition by Radically Innovating What Things Mean
  • Human-Centered Design Toolkit: An Open-Source Toolkit To Inspire New Solutions in the Developing World
  • "I Love You More Than My Dog": Five Decisions That Drive Extreme Customer Loyalty in Good Times and Bad
  • Small Message, Big Impact: The Elevator Speech Effect
  • Designing Interactions [With CDROM]
  • The Laws of Simplicity: Design, Technology, Business, Life
  • Design Thinking: Integrating Innovation, Customer Experience, and Brand Value
  • About Face 3: The Essentials of Interaction Design
  • Rapid Viz : A New Method for the Rapid Visualization of Ideas
  • Sketching User Experiences:  Getting the Design Right and the Right Design
  • Observing the User Experience: A Practitioner's Guide to User Research
  • Universal Methods of Design: 100 Ways to Research Complex Problems, Develop Innovative Ideas, and Design Effective Solutions
  • Glimmer: How Design Can Transform Your Life, and Maybe Even the World
  • The Ten Faces of Innovation: IDEO's Strategies for Defeating the Devil's Advocate and Driving Creativity Throughout Your Organization