Start by marking “Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health: 175 Teas, Tonics, Oils, Salves, Tinctures, and Other Natural Remedies for the Entire Family” as Want to Read:

Promote vibrant health and radiant beauty, soothe everyday ailments, and ease persistent stress with these simple, natural cures for everything from dry skin and infant colic to cold symptoms and insomnia. Renowned herbalist Rosemary Gladstar provides 175 proven therapies and herbal remedies that are easy to prepare and safe enough for children. Offering a potent and effec ...more
Published September 3rd 2008 by Storey Publishing, LLC

Be the first to ask a question about Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health

The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook by James  GreenMaking Plant Medicine by Richard A. CechHealing Wise by Susun S. WeedRosemary Gladstar's Medicinal Herbs by Rosemary GladstarRosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health by Rosemary Gladstar
Best Herbalism Books
5th out of 76 books — 36 voters
Wicked Plants by Amy  StewartThe Botany of Desire by Michael PollanThe Drunken Botanist by Amy  StewartGarden Witch's Herbal by Ellen DuganCunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs by Scott Cunningham
Hogwarts: Herbology
66th out of 91 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Kate Moffett-Polacci
Oct 12, 2011 Kate Moffett-Polacci rated it it was amazing
Just READING this book made me feel good, and gave me wonderful dreams. I'm so inspired to create a million teas and lotions and potions. In fact, I stocked up on supplies at Rosemary's Garden over the weekend to create full-on facials with my friends next week. I feel so lucky to live near the herb store she started here in Sonoma County. Looking forward to exploring all of her recipes.
Jaime Lynn
Mar 23, 2012 Jaime Lynn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family, green
This book is an amazing asset to any household - from beginners to experienced herbalists. As a mother, I take very seriously my responsibilty to tend to the health and wellness of my family. I got this book when I was just beginning to learn about herbs and natural health. At first, all of the recipes look a little daunting. But if you just slow down and pick a few to try based on your individual needs, you will see how easy they are to use/make and will gain confidence to try others. With the ...more
This book is packed with information about using herbs and lifestyle changes and nutrition to maintain good health and mental balance. Rosemary Gladstar definitely approaches the issue of health from a holistic standpoint that compounds all facets of one's way of living and interacting in order to properly address influencing factors and circumstances.

Many of her recipes are based on using tonics of several herbs as preventive measures, which can be seen as intimidating when she recommends drin
Oct 16, 2009 Erica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-for-classes
This book was required reading for my degree. Although I am not passionate about herbology, this book was definitely informative, fun to read, and had recipes that seemed easy enough to make at home. Granted, I have not tried any as of yet, I did learn quite a few new things about herbs that I did not know before, as well as natural solutions for hair, skin, and body. When I have some free time, I would be willing to try some of these out!
Apr 19, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Packed with good recipes.
Heidi Branz
Jul 03, 2014 Heidi Branz rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It's great for me, as a beginner. There are a huge number of recipes, as well as lots of information and anecdotes. It's so inspiring! Thank you Rosemary for sharing your wisdom!
Aug 05, 2013 Mrsdove rated it it was amazing
If you want a good herbal book that will help you understand herbs and their medicinal value then this is the book! As a casual studier of herbs for years now this book really helped raise my awareness on how to use herbs for more things that I had hoped for. She does a great job with recipes and advice. She even has pictures of herbs in their natural state so you can see what the flower or plant looks like thus raising awareness in us so that we may recognize those herbs which grow readily in o ...more
Amazing book. As a beginner with making my own, homemade remedies, this was a perfect collection of recipes and instruction, complete with color pictures and fabulous reference material. I have a slew of tabs marking favorite recipes using local flora, and I expect this book will get a lot of use in the years to come. I cannot recommend this book highly enough for the beginner, or even the more experienced person looking for a solid addition to their reference material.
Parin Stormlaughter Stormlaughter
I was thrilled to discover that this is the Storey Books printing of Rosemary Gladstar's Family Herbal which is not easily available any longer.

The potions, lotions, salves, and teas are very effective but much of the medical information that goes with them is simply outdated. Be well-read about what you wish to correct and you'll be well-served by the recipes and procedures in this book.

Thrilled to have it in my hot little hands!
Dec 28, 2010 Nikki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, health
Love this book! I borrowed it from the library, bought it for all my family for Christmas, and now definitely need my own copy. I tried three of the recipes--lotion, shampoo, and a sore throat tea--and all were amazing. Other herbal remedy books I looked at only said what herbs to use without giving recipes that suggest how to use them, so this was by far my favorite of what I've seen.
Maja Haloway
Nov 12, 2010 Maja Haloway rated it really liked it
Shelves: herbal-lore
Easy-to-use guide that has fabulous mix of hebal information, recipes, and personal stories. A good starting point for people just starting out with herbal preparations, and a fun reference book for the more experienced. I have used her basic recipes as starting points to make amazing custom preparations and blends.
Davida Temima
May 15, 2016 Davida Temima rated it it was amazing
This is a fabulous go-to for anyone interested in making quick an relatively easy medicines for themselves and their family. As an herbalist, I have quite an extensive collection of recipes and reading material on this subject, and this book remains one of my most prized and most used.
Apr 02, 2012 Andrea rated it it was amazing
An excellent resource for information about the healing properties of herbs and how to use them as teas, tonics, tinctures, essential oils, salves, baths, and more. Covers various ailments, from everyday stuff (bad breath) to childcare to problems specific to aging and more.
Sep 02, 2009 K. rated it it was amazing
I want to make everything from this book, even the ones that don't apply to me, because they all look so delightful! I love Rosemary Gladstar! Easily the most user-friendly, warm, and approachable book on herbs and remedies I have read.
Morgan Djuna Sorais Harrigan
I absolutely love this book! Rosemary Gladstar presents all the information in a very readable and beautiful way. All of the herbal recipes that I've tried have worked out very well.
Ana Fill
Sep 14, 2013 Ana Fill rated it it was amazing
Rosemary Gladstar shares her extensive knowledge in a clear easily read format. Nice photos, good recipes and stories of elder herbalists. Great info from a stellar herbalist
Apr 09, 2010 Elissa rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those interested in natural health and cosmetics
Recommended to Elissa by: Heather
The recipes in this book are excellent!! The commentary in the book... well unless you are a nature-worshiping wacko yourself, I would just skip it. :)
Jan 25, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing
This is just the sort of organic, earthy, feel-good book that every woman should read. I have not tried most of the recipes yet, but am planning to!
Amy  Koch
Nov 16, 2012 Amy Koch rated it it was amazing
Great book and resource for natural remedies, easy instructions and great photos...definitely something to add to my personal library.
May 31, 2011 Candice rated it it was amazing
awesome for first timers and experienced herbalists. recipes, materia medica, widom.
Jul 21, 2015 Gaby rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone.
Shelves: herbal
Fabulous recipes that I am trying on myself and my family and they work so beautifully.
Liz Neves
Sep 13, 2010 Liz Neves rated it it was amazing
A must have resource for anyone interested in living a good long healthy happy life.
Apr 22, 2013 Nikoa rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It's one of the best herbal resources I have found.
Feb 02, 2014 Micah rated it it was amazing
Best herbalism book I have read so far.
I loved her other book, but this one was too ungainly for me. The layout was terrible. There are text boxes everywhere. There are highlighted pages everywhere. All these emphasized areas breaks up the body of the chapters and makes them difficult to read. I also didn't like the way this book was organized as much as the last one of hers I read. This one was organized conceptually (e.g., longevity), rather than organized around the particular herbs being used. I can understand wanting to do that ...more
Kristina Seleshanko
Jan 01, 2015 Kristina Seleshanko rated it it was amazing
Skipping past some of the political/social stuff in this book and focusing on the recipes and how to make them, this may be THE best herbal medicine book I've yet read. I love the way the book is divided up into recipes for women's, men's, children's, and elder's health. And I understand this is exactly the same book as "Rosemary Gladstar's Family Herbal," which is very costly to buy.
Michele McDaniel
Jul 06, 2016 Michele McDaniel rated it it was amazing
I can't say enough good things about this book. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. The recipes are clear and concise, the pictures are beautiful, it's very informative, and written well. I would, and have, refer this book to others.
Apr 07, 2016 Ladypoet33 rated it liked it
I liked the recipes, but I was looking more for a way to identify the herbs growing all around me.
Nov 27, 2015 Saba rated it really liked it
Shelves: nerditry
Rosemary's such a rockstar.
This is a wonderful introduction to herbalism.
Sabrina Rainey
Jul 28, 2014 Sabrina Rainey rated it it was amazing
A book about the basics of family herbal care.
  • The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual
  • The Earthwise Herbal: A Complete Guide to Old World Medicinal Plants
  • The Herbalist's Way: The Art and Practice of Healing with Plant Medicines
  • Sacred Plant Medicine: The Wisdom in Native American Herbalism
  • The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal: Safe and Practical Guide to Making and Using Herbal Remedies
  • Homegrown Herbs: Gardening Techniques, Recipes, and Remedies for Growing and Using 101 Herbs
  • Organic Body Care Recipes
  • Making Plant Medicine
  • A Modern Herbal, Vol. I
  • The Way of Herbs
  • Healing Wise (Wise Woman Herbal Series)
  • Naturally Healthy Babies and Children: A Commonsense Guide to Herbal Remedies, Nutrition, and Health
  • Adaptogens: Herbs for Strength, Stamina, and Stress Relief
  • Culpeper's Complete Herbal
  • The Complete Medicinal Herbal
  • Garden Witch's Herbal: Green Magick, Herbalism & Spirituality
  • The Naturally Clean Home: 101 Safe and Easy Herbal Formulas for Nontoxic Cleansers
  • The Master Book of Herbalism
Rosemary Gladstar is a pioneer in the herbal movement and has been called the 'godmother of American Herbalism'. She began over 35 years ago developing herbal formulas in her herb shop, Rosemary's Garden in Sonoma County, California. She is the founder of the California School of Herbal Studies, the oldest running herb school in the United States, author of The Science and Art of Herbalism home st ...more
More about Rosemary Gladstar...