Start by marking “How to Survive Without a Salary: Learning How to Live the Conserver Lifestyle” as Want to Read:
How to Survive Without a Salary: Learning How to Live the Conserver Lifestyle

How to Survive Without a Salary: Learning How to Live the Conserver Lifestyle

Too many of us trade our happiness and well-being for the reliability of a steady paycheck. We work long hours at jobs we dislike or find unfulfilling so that we can buy a lot of stuff that never really seems to satisfy us. And when that paycheck turns out to be not so reliable, we panic. Unemployment terrifies us. Is there any way out of this dilemma? Charles Long reveals ...more
Published May 1st 2003 by Warwick Publishing (first published October 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about How to Survive Without a Salary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Survive Without a Salary

The Total Money Makeover by Dave RamseyThe Richest Man in Babylon by George S. ClasonThe Millionaire Next Door by Thomas J. StanleyRich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert T. KiyosakiYour Money or Your Life by Vicki Robin
Best Books About Money
135th out of 148 books — 301 voters
The Humanure Handbook by Joseph C. JenkinsThe One-Straw Revolution by Masanobu FukuokaGaia's Garden by Toby HemenwayPermaculture by Bill MollisonEdible Forest Gardens, Volume 1 by Dave Jacke
The Best Permaculture Books Ever
92nd out of 99 books — 77 voters

More lists with this book...

Feb 23, 2012 AJ rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is 16 years outdated, and a lot has happened to our economy in that time. So I would take a lot of the financial advice (which is pretty vague, like the part on investments) with a grain of salt. Otherwise this book has good ideas about how to save money, and how to decide how much you need to live. Once again, the age of this book shows. There's no mention of Freecycle or Craigslist because those technologies didn't exist in 1996. So there are a lot of ways to be frugal that aren't co ...more
Marjorie Elwood
Aug 16, 2011 Marjorie Elwood rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this manual and found a great deal of useful information in it. It was much more practical than many of the other "live without a salary" books and the writing was pretty humorous as well. As an added bonus (since I'm Canadian) the author is Canadian and some of the information was geared specifically to those living in Canada.
Jun 22, 2011 Jessica rated it liked it
It was very informative. I liked it, but it lacked the 'spark' that could have made it motivational as well. It made me decide that I don't actually want to live cheap. I want to be rich. But not accumulate stuff. But I think it's a positive way to live one's life, and worth a read if you think you might be interested in living on less.
Jul 26, 2015 KJ rated it really liked it
I'm not exactly sure why but I always get a kick out of these books. I don't want to live 'off the grid' or in extreme retirement but I always find the clever ways people manage to do as much very fascinating. Frugal living/environmental daily living practices have become such a hobby of mine that I look forward to books like these.
Oct 04, 2015 Gina rated it really liked it
Written in the mid-1990s. Yeah, it's dated --- all the reviews here say so -- but, you know, it's pretty simply mentally updated. A great basic primer on how not to be a slave to consumerism.
Jan 27, 2016 JimZ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economics
Think it can't be done? Take a look. A great contribution to human welfare.
Dec 10, 2014 Deb rated it liked it
Dreaming of living even simpler and this lends further inspiration.
Dec 27, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
Interesting book. The author and his family survive by taking casual employment and consuming much less than the average family. Because the author is Canadian, information for both Canada and the United States is included. An inspirational guide for those who wish to drop out of the daily grind, retire early, or just consume less.
May 09, 2008 Meg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really great Canadian-written book about not getting wrapped up in the rat-race and the my-career-defines-me lifestyle. Not as much info for the young and starting out as I'd have liked but still really informative and inspiring. Thought-provoking read. Great!
Christina Aguilar
Mar 08, 2015 Christina Aguilar rated it it was ok
too much emphasis on going to auctions and yard sales, like that's the most important way to save money. also, when I read "6% interest on savings account," I knew I shouldn't take the book seriously. but it's old, what can I do?
Jan 28, 2016 Caryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Great information on free-lancing, getting out of debt, shopping for bargains - but he goes farther, too. Really loving this one.
Aug 30, 2016 Janna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, finance
Review coming. This was my... I dunno... fifth? Sixth? time through. I love this book.
Jun 07, 2013 Laura added it
Great information, I would like to read more books by this author
I won't have a salary soon, so how does that work?
Oct 06, 2012 Lori rated it it was ok
If only.
Eric Foster
Eric Foster rated it it was ok
Oct 19, 2016
Mel marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2016
LAV Pandey
LAV Pandey marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2016
Noelle marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Roman Bly
Roman Bly marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Kyle marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Steve N Leal
Steve N Leal marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Leah marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Matthew Dishman
Matthew Dishman marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Concerned_conrad marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Shannon rated it it was ok
Sep 06, 2016
Austin Lewis
Austin Lewis rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Donna rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2016
Daniel marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Dena S.
Dena S. marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
  • Possum Living: How to Live Well Without a Job and with (Almost) No Money
  • The New Create an Oasis with Greywater: Choosing, Building, and Using Greywater Systems, Includes Branched Drains
  • How to Live Well Without Owning a Car: Save Money, Breathe Easier, and Get More Mileage Out of Life
  • How to Make a Forest Garden
  • Secrets of Jewish Wealth Revealed!
  • Building Green: A Complete How-To Guide to Alternative Building Methods Earth Plaster * Straw Bale * Cordwood * Cob * Living Roofs
  • The Ultimate Cheapskate's Road Map to True Riches: A Practical (and Fun) Guide to Enjoying Life More by Spending Less
  • Radical Simplicity
  • The Joy of Not Working:  A Book for the Retired, Unemployed and Overworked
  • Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Drying, Cold Storage, and Lactic Fermentation
  • Toolbox for Sustainable City Living: A Do-It-Ourselves Guide
  • The Simple Living Guide
  • The Complete Tightwad  Gazette
  • Small Scale Grain Raising: An Organic Guide to Growing, Processing, and Using Nutritious Whole Grains, for Home Gardeners and Local Farmers
  • Permaculture One
  • Early Retirement Extreme: A Philosphical and Practical Guide to Financial Independence
  • Forest Gardening: Cultivating an Edible Landscape