The Night Watch (Resurrection Man, #2)

The Night Watch (Resurrection Man #2)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  183 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The fabulously acclaimed Resurrection Man uncovered a world where the
Published September 1st 1998 by Ace (first published 1997)

Terry
Nov 05, 2013 Terry rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who love well-written fantasy
Sean Stewart is one of those writers I used to buy sight unseen (before he unfortunately dropped out of writing novels and decided to devote his time to writing interactive online games). His books tend to be very character driven, something I personally like, and he has an individual writing style that manages to be 'writerly' without getting bogged down in stylistic tricks.

Basically it is the story of a future earth in the year 2074 after an inundation of magic has flooded the world (this flo...more
Amber
I've been told that this the weakest of the three books Stewart has set in this world. Hoping that's true I'm definitely intrigued enough to seek out the other two books in the series. I liked the Vancouver setting, and the general premise of a world that's had to deal with magic's sudden reappearance, and now years later, with the hints that it will disappear. It's an interesting set-up, but I just didn't feel Stewart did much with it. We have numerous viewpoint characters, all of whom are mise...more
Paige
This was a weird pick up for me. I found it because I was looking for Charles Stross and my fingers paused over it because I've read two other books called Night Watch and adored them both. I had some used book store credit so I took a gamble.

Parts of this novel I really really liked. There are some character based passages that are blindingly good. Stewart can definitely write, but the plot threads never quite come together like they need to. I'd pick up another one by Stewart given the chance...more
Kristi Thompson
Krystyn
Aug 30, 2007 Krystyn marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-library
I started reading this one day and was immediately pulled into it, but I am trying to catch up on a huge backlog, so I am leaving this one for a time when I am a bit more able to focus.

My hardcover first edition is also signed, from when I saw Sean at ARGfest in San Francisco in 2007.
Ron
Very well written, this novel's an interesting hybrid of contemporary fantasy and science fiction. I'll be pulling more if Stewart's books off my To Be Read shelves soon (I do remember liking Mockingbird years ago when I read it, but I think I liked The Night Watch even more).
Janet
Definitely the least satisfying of the Sean Stewart books I've read. The characters were interesting, but he didn't go deep enough to make the story truly satisfying. Perhaps it's a consequence of it being a story of the ebbing of magic in the world?
Emily
A brief but, for me, enthralling entry into Sean Stewart's alternate reality of contemporary society in a world re-charged with magical phenomena. I re-read this every few years just for the experience of the poetically spare prose.
Brian
An exceptionally poetic and immersive modern fantasy work. Stewart is one of the most overlooked fantasy authors, and this is one of his best works.
Anna
Aug 24, 2007 Anna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Northwesterners
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
More magic flood. This one is set in Vancouver which is very cool, literally and figuratively. Read it if you love Canada.
!Tæmbuŝu
Mar 10, 2013 !Tæmbuŝu marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
Reviewed by Fantasy Literature
Lianna
Sep 19, 2008 Lianna marked it as to-read
this will be either really fun or really lame
Maylai
One of my all-time favorite books
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Ayala Sela
Ayala Sela marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Lauralee Dhabhar
Lauralee Dhabhar is currently reading it
May 30, 2014
Les
Les added it
Mar 26, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014

Sean Stewart (born June 2, 1965) is a U.S.-Canadian science fiction and fantasy author.

Born in Lubbock, Texas, Sean Stewart moved to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada in 1968. After stints in Houston, Texas, Vancouver, British Columbia, Irvine, California and Monterey, California,...more
More about Sean Stewart...
Yoda: Dark Rendezvous (Star Wars: Clone Wars, #7) Cathy's Ring (Cathy Vickers Trilogy, #3) Galveston Mockingbird Perfect Circle