Start by marking “The Night Watch (Resurrection Man, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Night Watch (Resurrection Man, #2)

The Night Watch (Resurrection Man #2)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  222 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
The fabulously acclaimed Resurrection Man uncovered a world where the
Published September 1st 1998 by Ace (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Night Watch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night Watch

Terry
Nov 05, 2013 Terry rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who love well-written fantasy
Sean Stewart is one of those writers I used to buy sight unseen (before he unfortunately dropped out of writing novels and decided to devote his time to writing interactive online games). His books tend to be very character driven, something I personally like, and he has an individual writing style that manages to be 'writerly' without getting bogged down in stylistic tricks.

Basically it is the story of a future earth in the year 2074 after an inundation of magic has flooded the world (this flo
Amber
Nov 29, 2010 Amber rated it liked it
I've been told that this the weakest of the three books Stewart has set in this world. Hoping that's true I'm definitely intrigued enough to seek out the other two books in the series. I liked the Vancouver setting, and the general premise of a world that's had to deal with magic's sudden reappearance, and now years later, with the hints that it will disappear. It's an interesting set-up, but I just didn't feel Stewart did much with it. We have numerous viewpoint characters, all of whom are mise ...more
Audrey
May 31, 2015 Audrey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read the other two books in this series, although it has been a while. (I really loved Galveston, by the way.) I liked this well enough, but it seemed derivative -- so much so that I kept wondering throughout the entire book if I'd already read it and just never noted it here. I don't think so, but man, it's an awful lot like his other books.
Paige
Feb 05, 2013 Paige rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was a weird pick up for me. I found it because I was looking for Charles Stross and my fingers paused over it because I've read two other books called Night Watch and adored them both. I had some used book store credit so I took a gamble.

Parts of this novel I really really liked. There are some character based passages that are blindingly good. Stewart can definitely write, but the plot threads never quite come together like they need to. I'd pick up another one by Stewart given the chance
Kristi Thompson
May 13, 2009 Kristi Thompson rated it liked it
Krystyn
Aug 30, 2007 Krystyn marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-library
I started reading this one day and was immediately pulled into it, but I am trying to catch up on a huge backlog, so I am leaving this one for a time when I am a bit more able to focus.

My hardcover first edition is also signed, from when I saw Sean at ARGfest in San Francisco in 2007.
Ron
Aug 31, 2009 Ron rated it really liked it
Very well written, this novel's an interesting hybrid of contemporary fantasy and science fiction. I'll be pulling more if Stewart's books off my To Be Read shelves soon (I do remember liking Mockingbird years ago when I read it, but I think I liked The Night Watch even more).
Janet
Sep 19, 2010 Janet rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Definitely the least satisfying of the Sean Stewart books I've read. The characters were interesting, but he didn't go deep enough to make the story truly satisfying. Perhaps it's a consequence of it being a story of the ebbing of magic in the world?
Emily
Dec 04, 2011 Emily rated it it was amazing
A brief but, for me, enthralling entry into Sean Stewart's alternate reality of contemporary society in a world re-charged with magical phenomena. I re-read this every few years just for the experience of the poetically spare prose.
Brian
Feb 04, 2009 Brian rated it it was amazing
An exceptionally poetic and immersive modern fantasy work. Stewart is one of the most overlooked fantasy authors, and this is one of his best works.
Anna
Aug 24, 2007 Anna rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Northwesterners
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
More magic flood. This one is set in Vancouver which is very cool, literally and figuratively. Read it if you love Canada.
!Tæmbuŝu
Mar 10, 2013 !Tæmbuŝu marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
Reviewed by Fantasy Literature
Lianna
Sep 19, 2008 Lianna marked it as to-read
this will be either really fun or really lame
Maylai
Feb 11, 2011 Maylai rated it it was amazing
One of my all-time favorite books
Julie Durovchic
Julie Durovchic marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Sean Hendricks
Sean Hendricks rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2016
James Carey
James Carey marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Neil Nabbefeld
Neil Nabbefeld marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Will
Will added it
Jun 22, 2016
Sarah Hook
Sarah Hook marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Alexia
Alexia marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Scotoma
Scotoma rated it it was ok
May 21, 2016
Frank Chimkin
Frank Chimkin rated it really liked it
May 10, 2016
Rhea
Rhea marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Carrie Niemi
Carrie Niemi marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
  • The Architecture Of Desire
  • Soldiers of Paradise (The Starbridge Chronicles, #1)
  • A Year In The Linear City
  • The Broken Citadel
  • Merlin's Ring
  • Ares Express
  • The Deep
  • City on Fire (Metropolitan, #2)
  • Feral Machines
  • Shiva 3000

Sean Stewart (born June 2, 1965) is a U.S.-Canadian science fiction and fantasy author.

Born in Lubbock, Texas, Sean Stewart moved to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada in 1968. After stints in Houston, Texas, Vancouver, British Columbia, Irvine, California and Monterey, California,
More about Sean Stewart...

Resurrection Man (3 books)
  • Resurrection Man (Resurrection Man, #1)
  • Galveston (Resurrection Man, #3)