Start by marking “Babes in Captivity” as Want to Read:
Babes in Captivity

Babes in Captivity

They've satisfied their biological clocks.
Published July 6th 2004 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Babes in Captivity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Babes in Captivity

Stephy
Aug 20, 2009 Stephy rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book...4 different woman 4 different stories but best friends through it all.

They've satisfied their biological clocks.

They met six years ago in a mom's group. Deirdre, Juliette, Anne, and Lisa are each living The Dream in the suburbs outside of New York City: beautiful wedding, big house, picture perfect family. What more could a woman want? Plenty, though none of them has ever admitted it. Out loud, anyway. It all starts with Deirdre....When she learns that her ex-lover,
Shannon
Jan 18, 2009 Shannon rated it liked it
It was better than I thought it would be at the beginning. I enjoyed it for what it was and ended up bookmooching the author's other books.
Charity
Jun 03, 2011 Charity rated it it was ok
The equivalent of flipping channels and finding yourself watching the entire chick flick and even crying at certain parts and then realizing you ate most of the bag of potato chips while you watched it. My daughter and I stopped for a much needed library visit. Mommy had been out of a books for much too long (during a move). The librarian greeted us with "we close in 10 minutes". We dove for the children's section, made a quick turn down Fiction lane. My daughter picked one for me (cover art) an ...more
Melissa
Sep 10, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it
Intriguing mom lit about four moms who seek to change their lives.
Muse Here
May 12, 2009 Muse Here rated it liked it
Very enjoyable book. The women the story revolved around were all easy to relate with and interesting but real characters. Life moved quickly throughout the book. Each chapter focused on one of the four women, except for the monthly dinners, which would catch us up to all of them. I didn't particularly care for this set up, I found it rather distracting.
Overall, quite enjoyable. I really loved all the women and each of their stories. A very good read.
My book had a q&a with the author in the
Shannon Steele
Jan 19, 2015 Shannon Steele rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Is one of my Favs!
Melissa
Nov 14, 2011 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
A quick, light read. This story follows four suburban moms over the course a year. They meet once a month for dinner and talk. The month we meet them they all decide that life has gotten a bit boring and needs a bit of a change. One wants another baby, another wants to resurrect her singing career, one wants to start a restaurant and the last one thinks about writing a book. Throughout the year all work on their goals but some decide it is no longer what they want.
Heidi
Feb 22, 2009 Heidi rated it really liked it
This book was good. It's about four different women who have different situations in their lives but all are unhappy with the state of thier lives when we meet them in the book. By the end of the book they are improved their lives by taking control of their situations. I enjoy the different points of view and the take control attitude presented by the women throughout the book. I enjoyed reading it and it was a quick read.
Kelly
Apr 02, 2009 Kelly rated it really liked it
Not just one character with a self-discovery... but all of the women have awesome life-changing discoveries. The characters were spit into chapters, which I loved because I could focus on one life at a time. This book was funny, and full of drama, which is always fun. It reminded me a bit of desparate housewives... some very deep moments, but very entertaining.
Jeanne
Sep 03, 2012 Jeanne rated it liked it
i thought this would be a quick chick novel...just something to pass the time on a hot day. i was pleasantly surprised with the depth of the characters and the fine writing. we all take stock in our thirties and each of the 4 women find a new path.

from the view of 63 it amazes me we all have to go thru these stages of life...ther eis no other way
Amy
Nov 26, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it
The characters definitely seemed very much like characters and not people at all. But I did like the way it was told in a cycle where one chapter had the friends all getting together for dinner and then the next few chapters were a closer look into the lives of each. My favorite quote was "How to live: Breathe in. Breathe out. Be happy now."
Diana
May 02, 2012 Diana rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book and I liked all of the women except Lisa. I could not relate to Lisa's attitude and I just didn't feel like she was truly friends with any of the other women. I enjoyed all of the stories and the different views, it was a little confusing in the beginning but it really is a funny little book.
Victoria Ryan
Jan 07, 2013 Victoria Ryan rated it liked it
It started off slow, but I ended up really enjoying it. It was only a long read because I didn't have a lot of reading opportunities. Really read it in 4 nights. Once the characters started developing, I found myself invested in their journeys. Each journey spoke differently to me. I'd like to give it a 3.75 out of 5.
Notserp2002
Jun 24, 2016 Notserp2002 rated it really liked it
fun to follow 4 friends over several months.
♥ Marlene♥
Jan 23, 2009 ♥ Marlene♥ rated it really liked it
Recommended to ♥ Marlene♥ by: Xallroyx
This was a fun and quick read. Finished it already last night.
Deirdre's story was the least interesting. I always enjoy books like these where you get to learn a few women and there trials.
Melanie
Aug 29, 2009 Melanie rated it liked it
I thought this book was just about disgruntled stay-at-home mothers at first and I wanted to give them all a kick in the pants. But the book gets better and the characters fill out.
Angel Shears
Feb 09, 2016 Angel Shears rated it liked it
Entertaining book, especially for all those "Babes" who have now conformed to their house mom status. I enjoyed all the characters and their stories. Fast read for a weekend.
Lindsey
Jul 11, 2008 Lindsey rated it it was ok
The characters were okay in this book, but I personally found it difficult to relate to them as easily as I have with characters in other books.
Jan
Mar 06, 2012 Jan rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit, boring
A truly predictable story in which four married "moms" decide to rediscover and embrace their babeness and what happens when they do.
Mairin
Nov 02, 2007 Mairin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: chick lit
A good story about four friends (in their mid thirties) trying to spice up their lives, and the trials and tribulations that follow....
Hawley
Jul 18, 2008 Hawley rated it it was ok
Seems like a good chick-lit so far! Very sex & the city gets married to the wrong guy, has babies and moves to the suburbs.
Kim
Feb 27, 2010 Kim rated it liked it
could relate in many ways to the plot, but found myself skipping many sentences to see what was going to happen... easy read.
Vår Ane
Apr 21, 2012 Vår Ane rated it liked it
Shelves: norge
This book is very sweet and i actually cried a cupel of times reading.
Runphanie
Sep 24, 2010 Runphanie rated it really liked it
fun, easy read about sharing the ups and downs of motherhood w/great friends
Dee W.
Nov 12, 2007 Dee W. rated it it was ok
Why are women in books like this so agravating! Honestly. Waste of my life.
Lindsey
Jul 31, 2012 Lindsey rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
Fun quick read. I loved the four friends and their stories!
kathy
Sep 22, 2010 kathy rated it liked it
It was good. A little predictable but good. Easy reading.
Judy
Mar 26, 2009 Judy rated it it was ok
another book sale book...not a lot to say about it
Maggie
Nov 04, 2010 Maggie rated it liked it
Easy Fun Read
Milissa
Feb 16, 2009 Milissa is currently reading it
Very cute
  • Hemma hos Martina
  • Dorothy on the Rocks
  • Reproduction is the Flaw of Love (Delta Fiction)
  • Does My Bum Look Big in This?
  • Flip-Flopped
  • Secret Confessions of the Applewood PTA
  • If Andy Warhol Had a Girlfriend
  • Family Baggage
  • The Sweetest Taboo
  • A Treasury of Magical Knitting
  • Johannesnatten (Legenden om Ljusets rike, #5)
  • Zinnia's Flower Garden
  • Star
  • Dear Neighbor, Drop Dead
  • Life on Planet Mom: A Down-To-Earth Guide to Your Changing Relationships
  • This Is a Bust
  • Her Name Was Lola
  • Den siste revejakta
Pamela Redmond Satran is the author of 20 books, both fiction and non-fiction. Her most recent novel, The Possibility of You, is written as Pamela Redmond and published by Simon & Schuster's Gallery Books. A New York Times bestselling humor writer, she has a new humor book, Rabid: Are You Crazy About Your Dog or Just Crazy?, due out from Bloomsbury in September 2012. She is the creator with Li ...more
More about Pamela Redmond Satran...