Start by marking “The Crow: Dead Time” as Want to Read:
The Crow: Dead Time

The Crow: Dead Time (The Crow (Kitchen Sink Press))

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  196 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Original Crow creator J. O'Barr collaborated with artist Alexander Maleev and writer John Wagner (Judge Dredd) for this chilling story about a farmer who is killed, along with his family, by a marauding band of ex-Confederate soldiers, only to be resurrected by the crow more than 100 years later to exact his vengeance.
Published January 1st 1997 by Kitchen Sink Press

To ask other readers questions about The Crow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crow

Jaimie
The basic storyline and themes haven't changed with the new incarnation of the Crow, but I do like the time-travel motif that was intriduced. Now the Crow is capable of handing down justice through the ages, as the men who raped and murdered his wife and child are given second lives to redeem themselves and fail miserably. I'm still not entirely comfortable with the whole vigilante justice system proposed here, but the added touches of Native American story/lore give it a mythical quality that m ...more
Silas
The art in this was quite well done in a dark black & white style, but there were some other issues that I had with it. The story was the same Crow story told again with a new person, except there is reincarnation involved, and it's sometimes rather hard to tell the past from the present except when there is a horse or a car involved. I do have an issue with a returned post-Civil War man would just know how to drive a car and ride a motorcycle, which took me out of the story. It emphasized t ...more
Beau Johnston
The first time I read The Crow: Dead Time it left me a little cold. After a few subsequent readings I came to appreciate the story and artwork. It isn't as good as The Crow, but it rates a solid 4 out of 5 from me.
Carl Nelson
An enjoyable read, but lacks the phosphorescent raw emotion of the original. The art is moody and mostly worked well, but occasionally took more effort than it should have to distinguish characters. I didn't feel the connection with Joshua like I did with Eric Draven, but I enjoyed the time shifting twist.
Graham Bailey
I was really looking forward to this, James O'Barr returning to the Crow, one of my favourite graphic novels (& movies) of all time, with writing by the wonderful John Wagner; this should be awesome.
But it's not, it's okay but that's about it. The writing is solid, but the art and lettering really let this book down, it's far too dark and 'sketchy' to get the story across well and the characters are all a bit 'meh'. Still, it show's some promise and I'm looking forward to the next part of th
T. Blake
No where near as great as the first one. Never the less, a really good read.
Travis
Beautiful black and white pencil work, sadly it's the same old crow story right down to the degenerate bad guys. The art is the saving grace with tight lines and a dark, serious tone. However it can't carry the story. It probably deserves 2 stars but the art won me over. They should have evolved the crow story line to a new level.
Ryan Mishap
Almost...but not quite. The art is absolutely gorgeous--dreary black and white--and makes it difficult to follow the action as well as easily recognize the different characters. The past lives angle only made it more confusing. If you love art more than story, maybe flip through this one.
Shanna
Very good series, but I wish my library had the rest of them.

If I ever get the chance I'll definitely continue reading them.
Melumebelle
It's not as good as the original..

But still pretty superspecialawesome. :)
Not as great as the first one. Actually could have gone my whole life without reading it.
'kris Pung
'kris Pung marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Charlotte Davies
Charlotte Davies marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
John Henery
John Henery marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Shylenn
Shylenn marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Rebecca Kennedy
Rebecca Kennedy marked it as to-read
Drew
Drew marked it as to-read
Santiago
Santiago marked it as to-read
Brandon Brutzki
Brandon Brutzki marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Lady Entropy
Lady Entropy marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Grace D
Grace D marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Dan's Obsessions
Dan's Obsessions marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Matt Parks
Matt Parks marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Mercedes
Mercedes marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
  • Tank Girl: Visions of Booga
  • The Cain Saga, Volume 4: The Seal of the Red Ram, Part 2
  • Zombie-Loan, Vol. 13
  • The Crow: Quoth the Crow
  • Dancing with the Ghosts of Whales (Nightmares & Fairy Tales, #4)
  • Tank Girl 3 (Tank Girl, #3)
  • Mushishi, Volume 8/9/10
  • King of Thorn 6 (King of Thorn, #6)
  • デッドマン・ワンダーランド 13 (Deadman Wonderland, #13)
  • Essential Silver Surfer, Vol. 1
  • Street Angel
  • The Lost Journal of Indiana Jones
  • 5 Ronin
  • Batman: Holy Terror
James O'Barr is an accomplished artist and writer, best known for creating The Crow.

In 1978, O'Barr's fiancée, Beverly, was killed by a drunk driver, and he joined the Marines in an effort to cope with the loss. He was stationed in Germany and illustrated combat manuals for the military. While living in Berlin in 1981, O'Barr began work on The Crow as a means of dealing with his personal tragedy.
More about James O'Barr...
The Crow The Crow:  Shattered Lives & Broken Dreams The Crow Volume 3: Death The Crow Volume 1: Pain & Fear The Crow Volume 2: Irony & Despair