Start by marking “The Crow: Dead Time” as Want to Read:
The Crow: Dead Time

The Crow: Dead Time (The Crow (Kitchen Sink Press))

Original Crow creator J. O'Barr collaborated with artist Alexander Maleev and writer John Wagner (Judge Dredd) for this chilling story about a farmer who is killed, along with his family, by a marauding band of ex-Confederate soldiers, only to be resurrected by the crow more than 100 years later to exact his vengeance.
Published January 1st 1997 by Kitchen Sink Press

To ask other readers questions about The Crow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crow

Carl Nelson
An enjoyable read, but lacks the phosphorescent raw emotion of the original. The art is moody and mostly worked well, but occasionally took more effort than it should have to distinguish characters. I didn't feel the connection with Joshua like I did with Eric Draven, but I enjoyed the time shifting twist.
Dann
Oct 18, 2016 Dann rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
From James O’Barr comes another tale of the crow in The Crow: Dead Time. In an exploration of reincarnation, the story follows an Indian who’s resurrected over a hundred years after his death to seek revenge on the reincarnated souls of the men that killed his family. Unfortunately it’s a little too ambitious and cerebral a concept for script writer John Wagner and illustrator Alexander Maleev to handle. The side by side stories from the past and present often seem a bit jumbled and are hard to ...more
DaViD´82
Aug 03, 2015 DaViD´82 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Je nutno uznat, že Mrtvá doba má vlastní ksicht, který si nespletete. Škoda že je to ksicht nepřehledný (zmatečnější kresbu/rámování/lettering/“střih“, aby v rámci neamatérské tvorby pohledal; speciálně v pasážích, kdy se jedou dvě časové linie současně). Když se k tomu přičte neexistující příběh (i slovo „pomsta“ je více vypovídající a delší než zdejší „děj“) a postavy, které by chtěli být alespoň jednorozměrné (protože se o nich nedozvíte naprosto nic navíc, než zjistíte již z přebalové ilustr ...more
Jaimie
Sep 07, 2014 Jaimie rated it liked it
The basic storyline and themes haven't changed with the new incarnation of the Crow, but I do like the time-travel motif that was intriduced. Now the Crow is capable of handing down justice through the ages, as the men who raped and murdered his wife and child are given second lives to redeem themselves and fail miserably. I'm still not entirely comfortable with the whole vigilante justice system proposed here, but the added touches of Native American story/lore give it a mythical quality that m ...more
Graham Bailey
I was really looking forward to this, James O'Barr returning to the Crow, one of my favourite graphic novels (& movies) of all time, with writing by the wonderful John Wagner; this should be awesome.
But it's not, it's okay but that's about it. The writing is solid, but the art and lettering really let this book down, it's far too dark and 'sketchy' to get the story across well and the characters are all a bit 'meh'. Still, it show's some promise and I'm looking forward to the next part of th
Silas
Oct 24, 2014 Silas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The art in this was quite well done in a dark black & white style, but there were some other issues that I had with it. The story was the same Crow story told again with a new person, except there is reincarnation involved, and it's sometimes rather hard to tell the past from the present except when there is a horse or a car involved. I do have an issue with a returned post-Civil War man would just know how to drive a car and ride a motorcycle, which took me out of the story. It emphasized t ...more
Beau Johnston
Mar 13, 2014 Beau Johnston rated it really liked it
The first time I read The Crow: Dead Time it left me a little cold. After a few subsequent readings I came to appreciate the story and artwork. It isn't as good as The Crow, but it rates a solid 4 out of 5 from me.
Travis Duke
Beautiful black and white pencil work, sadly it's the same old crow story right down to the degenerate bad guys. The art is the saving grace with tight lines and a dark, serious tone. However it can't carry the story. It probably deserves 2 stars but the art won me over. They should have evolved the crow story line to a new level.
Sandy Jones
Graphic novels are not my thing. In fact, if it weren't for this reading challenge, I would not have ever checked this book out from the library. It was not bad, but I just cannot seem to get into the whole genre.
Ryan Mishap
Almost...but not quite. The art is absolutely gorgeous--dreary black and white--and makes it difficult to follow the action as well as easily recognize the different characters. The past lives angle only made it more confusing. If you love art more than story, maybe flip through this one.
Lukáš Záhorský
Dec 24, 2014 Lukáš Záhorský rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: komiks-manga
super.
Shanna
Very good series, but I wish my library had the rest of them.

If I ever get the chance I'll definitely continue reading them.
Kevin Milner
Aug 18, 2016 Kevin Milner rated it liked it
This was an alright story, although the art was difficult to follow. Lots of guys with long hair and no shirts.
Melumebelle
Aug 06, 2011 Melumebelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
It's not as good as the original..

But still pretty superspecialawesome. :)
T. Blake
Jun 11, 2014 T. Blake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No where near as great as the first one. Never the less, a really good read.
Ondřej
Jul 15, 2016 Ondřej rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Svižný atmosférický komiks, pro mě zajímavější než první kniha.
Jul 02, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-comic
Not as great as the first one. Actually could have gone my whole life without reading it.
Revlin D'Costa
Revlin D'Costa rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Jarod Landree
Jarod Landree rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2011
Kris
Kris rated it did not like it
Jun 27, 2017
Zima
Zima rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2017
Kelsey
Kelsey rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2011
Sebastian
Sebastian rated it it was ok
Jan 26, 2011
Steven Louden
Steven Louden rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2014
Lucas Watson
Lucas Watson rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Matt Coburn
Matt Coburn rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2012
Polly
Polly rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2011
Lucie
Mar 30, 2017 Lucie rated it liked it
Artistically great, but the story is becoming too repetitive.
Chad Hansen
Chad Hansen rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2015
Marcus
Marcus rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2014
  • The Crow: Flesh & Blood
  • Dancing with the Ghosts of Whales (Nightmares & Fairy Tales, #4)
  • The Crow: Clash by Night
  • Lenore #13
  • Tank Girl: Skidmarks
  • Johnny the Homicidal Maniac #6
  • The Crow: The Lazarus Heart
  • Bad Boy
  • The Crow: Quoth the Crow
  • The Cain Saga, Volume 04, Part 2
  • Until Death Do Us Part Omnibus (2-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1: Includes Vol. 1 & 2 (Until Death Do Us Part Omnibus, #1)
  • Yu Yu Hakusho, Volume 4: Training Day
  • Teen Titans Go!, Volume 1: Truth, Justice, Pizza!
  • Trauma Through a Child's Eyes: Awakening the Ordinary Miracle of Healing
James O'Barr is an accomplished artist and writer, best known for creating The Crow.

In 1978, O'Barr's fiancée, Beverly, was killed by a drunk driver, and he joined the Marines in an effort to cope with the loss. He was stationed in Germany and illustrated combat manuals for the military. While living in Berlin in 1981, O'Barr began work on The Crow as a means of dealing with his personal tragedy.
More about James O'Barr...

The Crow (Kitchen Sink Press) (7 books)
  • The Crow