Start by marking “Miss Julia Takes Over” as Want to Read:
Miss Julia Takes Over

Miss Julia Takes Over (Miss Julia #2)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  4,032 ratings  ·  231 reviews
As soon as readers met Miss Julia in Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind, this Southern woman of a certain age and with an iron backbone and Steel Magnolia poise became an instant favorite. In that debut book, Miss Julia's proper existence was interrupted by the sudden appearance of a close "friend" of her deceased husband. Hazel Marie, with "heels too high, a dress too short, and ...more
Published July 23rd 2001 by Viking Adult (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Miss Julia Takes Over, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Julia Takes Over

Connie
I don't know if I can read another Miss Julia book. What was laugh-out-loud funny in the first book never quite made it for me in this one. I was immediately tired of Miss Julia's self-absorption, inability to listen, and misjudgment.
Angie Bollard
Sometimes you just need a little fluff. These books just make me feel warm and fuzzy inside. It's nice when a problem can be solved in 200 pages or less. Love Miss Julia.
Karen
I have become very fond of these little books. The biggest reason is that the author lives 30 minutes away in Hendersonville, NC. Miss Julia is an elderly woman who is just now finding her place in this world and the story of her tangling with NASCAR is pretty funny. As with the first of this series, the relationship she has with her late husband's mistress and their son is the core of the story and does not disappoint. I can't wait to watch "Little Lloyd" grow up in the remaining books. Wheneve ...more
Robyn Hall
This is the 2nd in this series and the last for me. Cute and clever but definitely NOT compelling.
Boring and annoying at times.
Bookclub #2 choice. Borrowed book from library. Had to renew twice just to get through it.
Suzi Q, The Book Dame
I adore Miss Julia's voice as main character and narrator. She is snarky, but loving; and has a comical way of not recognizing her personal flaws, while seeing them in others. There was a lot to love about this book, the characters, and the mystery as well. It was rather unfortunate that the storyline had so much in common with the first book, but it was easy enough to overlook with the present differences that did exist.
I really enjoyed "Miss Julia Speaks her Mind," so I was anxious to read the rest of the series. While I enjoyed this second installemnt, I found Miss Julia a little annoying in this one. Her "speaking out," was getting on my nerves because it was directed at someone who was trying to help her. The outspokeness was endearing in the first novel because the people really deserved to be told off. Her evasion of the law made me uncomfortable, and I couldn't get into the little romances - there wasn't ...more
Jae
My life has been rather stressful of late, so I needed some very light reading. This, and the previous in the series - Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind - fit the bill perfectly. An entertaining, enjoyable read.
Rhonda Dlouhy
Poor Mr. Pickens! Ms. Julia was determined to hold him accountable for doing his job. I love Miss Julia's relationship with Little Lloyd & Lillian. When Lillian asks Julia about Little Lloyd missing school, she said not to worry about that. "He's so far ahead of the others, his absence'll give them time to catch up." I also liked when Lillian told Miss Julia "This ain't no time to be weaken' down on us" when Miss Julia was worried about losing Little Lloyd. Lillian gave Miss Julia's arm a sh ...more
Whitney Lebron
This is the second book of what is turning out to be a light hearted series about a proper southern lady of a certain age. The first book in the series is Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind which gives a lot of background about 2 of the main characters, Hazel Marie Puckett and Wesley Lloyd Springer, Jr.

The book starts out with Hazel Marie going missing after heading out on a date with the church's fund-raiser. After being unable to receive any help from the local police force Miss Julia takes matters i
Diane
This okay book would have been pretty good if it had been half as long. It's full of Miss Julia's ridiculous long-winded rants to the point of being tedious to the nth degree. (Yes, I expected some rants - it's a Miss Julia book after all!) But I did finish it amid loud whines of "Oh no, not another page!"
Virma
If you love- " I Love Lucy" then Miss Julia Books are for you! Hilarious hi-jinks!
Ellen Benson
Miss Julia makes me tired. Don't think I can read any more of these. And she certainly goes to a different Presbyterian church than I do!
Tracy
I didn't like this book nearly as much as the first one in the series. I've heard they get better after this one. I hope so!
Tracey
pretty much my rating. it was okay. really liked the first one. we'll see about the 3rd.
Ammy
This is 2nd in a series. Miss Julia is a proper lady of a certain age with a sharp tongue and an iron backbone. When Hazel Marie goes missing (I won’t go into detail as to who that is) and the local police won’t assist, she takes matters into her own hands and hires a PI. The hunt leads her into the world of NASCAR (fish out of water plot).

I was hoping this would be a good series and that I could pick up one of these in between more intense books. However, I found Miss Julia unlikeable and judgm
Meredith Galman
Apparently some people think Miss Julia is a pip; I think she is a pill.
Bridget
This book for me was just meh

The only reason this book got a 3 over getting a 1.5 or 2 stars was because of the last couple of chapters. I finished reading the last 120 pages or so over night. This, after me attempting to read it since December 2013. For a while, I thought it had more to do with me being extremely stressed for a while because when I get that stressed, it's harder for me to read and stay focused on even the best books. This book for me, even under good circumstances was boring. I
Saskia Marijke Niehorster-Cook
I got this book from my sister Irene's club library. It has been sitting in my car for over two months and finally I started to read it and took two days doing so.

The beginning of the book was not very good and I thought a could of times that I did not have to finish it, but so far, I have not been able to do that except with "The Shack", the only book I decided I could not finish reading in my life... at least that I can recall...

it takes place in the south and our heroine is a well to do woma
Stephen
I thoroughly enjoyed "Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind", probably because I was raised in a rural area and could relate to some of the characters and their situations. I was really expecting to enjoy this book as much, but it was a bit disappointing.
When Hazel Marie doesn't come home from a date, Miss Julia begins to panic and sets out to find her. With some help from Little Lloyd (who has grown up quite a bit from the first book) Hazel Marie is located and returned home. This happens about halfway t
Susan
Miss Julia Takes Over is book 2 of the Miss Julia mystery series by Ann B. Ross, set in modern-day North Carolina. Julia Springer is a very proper but spunky Southern lady who is learning to take care of everything herself since her husband’s death, and enjoying the freedom and responsibility.

Hazel Marie Puckett, mother of Julia’s grandson Little Lloyd, goes missing after a date with church fundraiser Wilson T. Hodges. Hazel Marie calls Miss Julia for help, but is cut off mid-sentence. Police L
Nicolas Sherman
I chose this book as it was one of the only reading books sitting in my home library, and my older sister read it before. When Julia Springer's nephew, Lloyd Jr., is found without his mother, Julia starts an investigation to find Lloyd's mother. After finding Hazel Marie, Lloyd's mother, Julia finds out that Hazel may have been involved in some crime. My favorite quote is,' "Oh, Lord," I said, laughing, because I recognized the metallic sounds. "He's run into the folding chairs." ' because it is ...more
Kathaileen
In the first book, Miss Julia is a widow who discovers that her husband has left her a lot more money than she thought they had and an illegitimate son. He gets left on her doorstep and she takes him in. A battle for his custody ensues between his returning mother and her uncle who wants control of what he thinks is the young boy’s inheritance. In the meantime, the preacher wants what he thinks should have been left to his church and tries to have Miss Julia declared incompetent.
The second book
Frances Johnson
Miss Julia takes action when her dead husband's paramour Hazel Marie goes missing. When the authorities don't move fast enough she hires a private detective and when he doesn't move fast enough she and "Little Lloyd", her dead husband's son start their own investigation. Their adventures take them through big truck racing, unscrupulous ministers and relatives and all sorts of fun and high jinx. It's a quick, witty, and funny book.
Beverly
I read this book in one day. Very entertaining, there were parts that just made me laugh out loud, and parts that made me so mad at Miss Julia, and sometimes so proud of her. Larry Ledbeter was too much, so entitled I was glad he got his due in the end. I give it a top rating because of the entertainment value, well done Ms. Ross.
Ewfischer
I am totally hooked on Miss Julia, with no sign of letting up. I wish I could rate her as a 4-star. I am going to need to think about this whole star system. I loathe everything NASCAR, and yet I loved the book. Now I find out there are 16 in the series--this may continue on past the summer. Thank you, Miss Julia!
C.
Was even more fun to read than the first book,because Miss Julia and Little Lloyd's relationship is closer in this one.I am looking forward to reading more of Little Lloyd,as he grows up.

Really enjoy the humorous comments and events in these books. I also love Miss Julia's cook/best friend Lillian.
Dharia Scarab

4 sta
Dotty
Hazel Marie is missing and Brother Vern is threatening to take Little Lloyd. Miss Julia gets no help from the police so she hires J. D. Pickens to find Hazel Marie. Pickens has never had a client like Miss Julia. She insists on knowing his every move and accompanying him everywhere he goes AND she drags Little Lloyd along. Can he find Hazel Marie because of or in spite of Miss Julia?

There’s lots of dialogue and action here which I like in a book. I like strong female protagonists and Miss Julia
Jenny
This didn't have me laughing as much as the first one, probably because it relied so heavily on plot. but it still had plenty of entertainment factor. I'll read the next one.
  • Christmas in Harmony: A Harmony Story (Harmony, #4)
  • Standing in the Rainbow (Elmwood Springs, #2)
  • Out to Pasture: But Not over the Hill
  • The Florabama Ladies' Auxiliary and Sewing Circle
  • In This Mountain (Mitford Years, #7)
  • My Heart May Be Broken, but My Hair Still Looks Great (Domestic Equalizers Book 2)
  • Dearest Dorothy, Are We There Yet? (Dearest Dorothy, #1)
  • The Sandy Bottom Orchestra
  • The Quilter's Legacy (Elm Creek Quilts, #5)
  • Murder Gets A Life (Southern Sisters Mystery, #5)
  • The Ladies of Covington Send Their Love (Ladies of Covington, #1)
  • God Save the Sweet Potato Queens
  • The Red Hat Club
  • The Jack Tales
  • Popped Off
  • Family Linen
Ann B. Ross, who taught literature at the University of North Carolina at Asheville, is the author of Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind, one of the most popular Southern debut novels in years, Miss Julia Takes Over, Miss Julia Throws a Wedding, and Miss Julia Hits the Road. She lives in Hendersonville, North Carolina.
More about Ann B. Ross...

Miss Julia (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind (Miss Julia, #1)
  • Miss Julia Throws a Wedding (Miss Julia, #3)
  • Miss Julia Hits the Road (Miss Julia, #4)
  • Miss Julia Meets Her Match (Miss Julia, #5)
  • Miss Julia's School of Beauty (Miss Julia, #6)
  • Miss Julia Stands Her Ground (Miss Julia, #7)
  • Miss Julia Strikes Back (Miss Julia, #8)
  • Miss Julia Paints the Town (Miss Julia, #9)
  • Miss Julia Delivers the Goods (Miss Julia, #10)
  • Miss Julia Renews Her Vows (Miss Julia, #11)
Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind (Miss Julia, #1) Miss Julia Meets Her Match (Miss Julia, #5) Miss Julia Hits the Road (Miss Julia, #4) Miss Julia Throws a Wedding (Miss Julia, #3) Miss Julia Stands Her Ground (Miss Julia, #7)